none
Windows 8, Crucial M4 SSD Random freezes

Question

• Hello,

I recently migrated my Dell Vostro 3550 from Windows 7 to Windows 8. The reason for this migration was the possibility to use Hyper-V. My original situation was a Hyper-V 2008 R2 server with an eSATA Crucial M4-CT128M4SSD2 SSD disk. After the installation of Windows 8 and Hyper-V role the problems started. Randomly freezes all VM's of Hyper-V which have information on the SSD disk. During the freeze moment I checked the Task Manager. The Active Time of the disk is 100% but there is no Read or Write activity. The event logs shows the following events during the freeze time:

- EventID 129: Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.
    - EventID 153: The IO operation at logical block address 15f050 for Disk 3 was retried

Sometimes after a couple of seconds or minutes the freeze period stops. But most of the times I need to reboot my laptop to solve the freeze period. Not my whole laptop will freeze, only the VM's which are on that SSD disk.

I have searched the Internet and did the following to solve my problem:

- Updated the Intel Rapid Storage drivers to the latest version from the Intel site

- Updated the Firmware of my SSD Disk to the latest version

- Tried bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes setting and bcdedit /set disabledynamictick no setting

- Tried the LPM fix (http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Solution-C300-Disk-Freeze-ups-in-Windows-7-solved-for-me/td-p/38766)

None of them worked for me. Does anyone have an idea?

Arjan Vroege | Visit my Blog at: http://sysctr.blogspot.com | Twitter: ArjanVroege

• Edited by Arjan Vroege Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:18 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:17 AM

Answers

• It should be hardware compatibility issue. I suggest you contact Dell to report this issue and find if there is any workaround.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, October 19, 2012 8:18 AM

All replies

• I had a Crucial 128GB SSD in my Toshiba Qosmio 888 laptop for a year or more. At least once a day the laptop would freeze with the hard disk light on. This would last for about a minute or so and then everything would be normal.

I recently upgraded to a 256GB Vertex OCZ and so far (knock on wood) I haven't had a single hang. I'm afraid the problem is more likely Crucial incompatibility with the hardware you have and that another SSD would work.

Incidentally the upgrade may be worth it. The Vertex is way faster than the Crucial. Windows 8 boots much faster, perhaps in 1/3 the time.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:14 PM
  • Buying a new SSD is not a option for me at the moment, I bought this SSD drive a couple of months ago. Under Windows 7 this drive works perfect. I tested also the following:

- Removed the Intel Rapid Storage Driver

- Run Chrysteldiskinfo, no disk problems found

- Tried to run Chrysteldiskmark, but fails..

So no solution, tried the disk on another laptop with Windows 8 and the same problem.

Arjan Vroege | Visit my Blog at: http://sysctr.blogspot.com | Twitter: ArjanVroege

Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:58 PM
  • It should be hardware compatibility issue. I suggest you contact Dell to report this issue and find if there is any workaround.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, October 19, 2012 8:18 AM
  • Why is this considered accepted answer?  This is a non-answer, is there any indication that it actually solved the OP's problem?  
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:28 PM
  • Why is this considered accepted answer?  This is a non-answer, is there any indication that it actually solved the OP's problem?  

Agreed.
    Sunday, June 09, 2013 7:32 PM
  • make sure you have the latest firmware. The M4 had some issues which are fixed by newer firmware version.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Monday, June 10, 2013 5:20 AM