none
How can I use Imagex with spanned images

Question

• I have created spanned images with Imagex /split (it created install.swm, install2.swm, install3.swm , ...)

My question is: Is it possible to do use imagex /apply "incrementaly"?

Here is what I want to do:
    1. Install cd containing the first image
    2. Applying the first image (imagex /apply install.swm)
    3. Insert the second cd and appying the image (imagex /ref install2.swm /apply install.swm)
    4. ...
    This method provokes an error, it seems we have to copy all the file on the disk and only after, run the command:
     imagex /ref install*.swm /apply install.swm

Is there a trick to use imagex in such a way?
    Friday, January 26, 2007 2:43 PM

Answers

• Please document the error message.

Windows OS Bugs 1625744 - WIM\Apply Split WIMs from Multiple CD's should not
    require staging them

Windows OS Bugs 1448975 - Can't install split WIMs from DVD (have to copy all swm
    locally before rejoin/apply)

Once you split the wim file into multiple swm files, you can burn the files to
    separate CD\DVD’s. If you want to apply the wim to a target system, you must copy
    all of the swm files to a temporary folder before you run the “imagex /apply”
    command.

Example:
    Copy all SWM files to a local drive - in this example, c:\image.
    Run the following command: imagex /ref c:\image\*.swm /apply c:\image\split.swm 1 c:

Saturday, January 27, 2007 9:08 PM

All replies

• Please document the error message.

Windows OS Bugs 1625744 - WIM\Apply Split WIMs from Multiple CD's should not
    require staging them

Windows OS Bugs 1448975 - Can't install split WIMs from DVD (have to copy all swm
    locally before rejoin/apply)

Once you split the wim file into multiple swm files, you can burn the files to
    separate CD\DVD’s. If you want to apply the wim to a target system, you must copy
    all of the swm files to a temporary folder before you run the “imagex /apply”
    command.

Example:
    Copy all SWM files to a local drive - in this example, c:\image.
    Run the following command: imagex /ref c:\image\*.swm /apply c:\image\split.swm 1 c:

Saturday, January 27, 2007 9:08 PM
  • Hi Gaurav,

Wondering if these bugs have been fixed or if there is an updated/patched version of ImageX that does not have these issues?

Thanks.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 7:39 PM
  •  

I also need a solution to this issue.  Please update me on any progress.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:25 PM
  • hi every body :)
    see this link
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749189(WS.10).aspx   (Create Spanned Media)

there they use the createspannedshares.cmd file script which in (C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Samples ) to make a windows vista dvd source to a multiply cds  to whom do not have a DVD-ROM drive , nice and easy but I didnet try it , you can . 

Monday, September 14, 2009 9:49 AM
  • Hi,

I splitted an image.wim of 2.5 gb into 5 parts by using the imagex /split command and the new images are now image1.swm,image2.swm,etc.

Now I have created the first CD (image1.swm) as the bootable CD.However it is not spanning across disk and would not ask for the next CD.Is there any ways we can span it across the CDs.

I tried createspannedshares.cmd but it is meant for Vista images and not for XP images.

Can any one help please.

Regards,

Sibasis

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:01 PM