none
Display Driver Has Stopped Responding and Successfully Recovered.

Question

• I am having a problem that consists of the error Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.

Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 197.13 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

This problem happens when I play the game Fusion Fall, no other programs have this problem.

Windows 7 64 bit

AMD Athlon II x4 620 Processor

GTX 285 2gig

4 gigs DDR3 Ram

The error and aftermath can be seen here.

http://tinypic.com/r/vfbk0x/5
    Monday, April 26, 2010 1:33 AM

Answers

• Update to the latest drivers by downloading them from http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_197.45_whql.html and see if that resolve the problem. Also look if there is a patch for the game, that might solve the problem as well.
    Blogging about Windows for IT pros at www.theexperienceblog.com
    • Proposed as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:49 AM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 8:59 AM
  • Hi Garbanian,

If I understand your problem correctly, you have no errors when not running the game?

I would suggest that you reinstall the non-primary language pack. There were some issues in the RC caused by a non-English language pack.

After the drivers(197.45), I would check for any specific browser settings for the game at the hosts support site (FAQS or troubleshooting items for the game related to Windows 7 or connection issues with the host applications via Windows 7).

It seems related to the game. The Event viewer may provide some assistance. Click the Start button, type event in the search box and select view event logs from the Control Panel in the results. Wait for the Summary of Administrative Events to populate. Then review the Critical and Error Logs. Just explore and read. That may provide a clue as to the source of the issue.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:09 AM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 12:14 PM

All replies

• Update to the latest drivers by downloading them from http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_197.45_whql.html and see if that resolve the problem. Also look if there is a patch for the game, that might solve the problem as well.
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:49 AM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 8:59 AM
  • That is the latest driver.

There are no patches for the game since it's browser based.

Monday, April 26, 2010 9:57 AM
  • My bad. However the error indicates that you are running driver version 197.13 but the latest drivers are 197.45. Also, do you see the same error reglardless if you use Internet Explorer or Firefox?

Monday, April 26, 2010 10:02 AM
  • It doesn't matter which internet browser I use. The error/after math will still happen. It's at random times, sometimes 10 seconds, sometimes 2 hours.

Downloading 197.45 now.

Monday, April 26, 2010 10:15 AM
  • Hi Garbanian,

If I understand your problem correctly, you have no errors when not running the game?

I would suggest that you reinstall the non-primary language pack. There were some issues in the RC caused by a non-English language pack.

After the drivers(197.45), I would check for any specific browser settings for the game at the hosts support site (FAQS or troubleshooting items for the game related to Windows 7 or connection issues with the host applications via Windows 7).

It seems related to the game. The Event viewer may provide some assistance. Click the Start button, type event in the search box and select view event logs from the Control Panel in the results. Wait for the Summary of Administrative Events to populate. Then review the Critical and Error Logs. Just explore and read. That may provide a clue as to the source of the issue.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:09 AM
    Monday, April 26, 2010 12:14 PM
  • Also, you can update the BIOS to the latest version and try using a VGA cable to connect the monitor to the graphics card instead of a DVI cable.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:42 AM
  • @Nano - I was in a Korean unicode type setting which may effect the game? I changed it back to english with much better results.

@Lisa - My bios was recently updated to the newest possible update.

So as of now, this is pretty much solved, unless the error comes back.

Thank you all

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:18 AM
  • The problem is occuring again, randomly during ANY game now.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 11:43 PM
  • Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version stopped responding and has successfully recovered

i went to bios and set cpu from 200 hz to 180 and never got the error again :)..
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 1:40 PM
  • After having this problem intermittently for 3 years I decided to waste a lot of time and money sorting it out.

I replaced ever single component in my PC, one at a time, and I mean EVERYTHING.

I also removed every single driver and replaced them all with the latest ones.

Nothing  stopped the problem, until..............................................

The last thing that I replaced was RAM memory and BINGO, that was the cause.

The RAM worked perfectly with MEMTEST and on other machines, but not with my AMD graphics motherboard.

I changed the type of DDR3 RAM (CAS from 8 to 9) and the problem has now gone.

• Edited by anon23 Saturday, September 07, 2013 10:52 AM
    Saturday, September 07, 2013 10:50 AM
  • MS also released a KB about this issue:

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" error in Windows 7 or Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946/en

You can change the TdrDelay value to 8 and look if this fixes it.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Saturday, September 07, 2013 2:24 PM