none
GETTING RID OF TRUSTED INSTALLER<DELETING FROM REGISTRY

General discussion

• I tried to answer to another thread with a similar title and it has been locked..I wonder why? Of course not is obvious,Microsoft is peeved off.

The post started with this :

Has ANYBODY found an effective and easy-to-understand way to disable (decapitate, exterminate, disembowel) windows 7 'TrustedInstaller'?? This has to be, by FAR, one of the WORST devices MS has ever come up with. I wouldn't even be aware of it's existence, if it had not been for it turning my OS processing into peanut butter sludge on so many occasions. And now, it appears to be interfering with adding legitimate 3rd party procedures and add-ons. It is a gargantuan CPU SUCK, and it doesn't appear to accomplish ANYTHING that couldn't be accomplished w/ a combination of Win DEFENDER and UAC permissions. I did hear somebody comment, on another forum, that it "protects your system from making damaging changes to itself....blah, blah". Well, a howitzer will probably be effective at killing flies, too, but is that the approach you want to take? What bothers me is that the PINHEAD who came up with this one, is probably kicking it in a plush MS office right now, and WORSE YET, will probably be making FUTURE decisions on OS's. (Yeah, just when you thought the fun was over....)
    This 'trusted installer' is a disease, and it is about time that Microsoft DID THE RIGHT THING by their customers and came up with an appropriate fix! But while we are waiting for Microsoft to do the right thing (I'm sure there's no hurry there....!) Is there ANY way to terminate this process?? And I mean 'terminate...with EXTREME prejudice'.

Gratitude in advance to anyone who can help

( By someone calling themselves smccfly007)

I TOTALLY AGREE with this person.

Now I want to ask,what would happen if I delete trusted installer.exe from the registry? Would I automatically gain access to the programs this thing takes control of?

I mean it is stopping me from moving Notepad to my desktop,for years I had windows vista and I have always had  the notepad on my desktop....if I try to put a shortcut of Notepad on the desktop is telling me that I need permission from trusted installer.YOU GOTTA BE FREAKING KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!  This is just another feature of freaking BigBrother is Watching you!

It annoys me that some clever big wigs think adding this features is clever or of any use....another symptom of why this world is upside down.

SERIOUSLY if anyone at all can provide me with a real solution to this please come forward,I ain't a computing expert so need step by step explanation but.......I want rid of this freaking virus.

Like mr 007 which post I pasted above any help will be greatly appreciated.

By the way I am a lady.

Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It is never recommended to do any changes with TrustInstaller. If you do this with registry forcedly, there would be many unexpected issue happens to the OS. Even may cause the OS crash and unrecovered.

Most of the operating system files are owned by the TrustedInstaller security identifier (SID), which is the only SID that has full control over them. The purpose is to prevent a process that is running as an administrator or under the LocalSystem account from automatically replacing the operating system files. To delete an operating system file, you need to take ownership of the file and then add an access control entry (ACE) on the file that permits you to delete it. This helps protect against a process that is running as LocalSystem and has a System integrity label; a process that has lower integrity should not be able to elevate itself to change ownership. Some services, for instance, can run with medium integrity, even though they are running as LocalSystem. Such services cannot replace system files, thereby preventing an exploit that takes over a service from replacing operating system files.

We need to find a proper solution or workaround for specific issue but not delete TrustInstaller.

Thanks,

Spencer

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:24 AM