none
Extract files from USMT *.MIG file

Question

• Does anyone know if it is possible to manually extract files from a USMT *.MIG file?  I have run into a few issues where the USMT migration file does not appear to restore all the data and I am hoping that it is still within the *.MIG file.

Thank You,

Jason Williard

Friday, June 08, 2007 5:13 PM

All replies

• Hi there

I would like to know that too cause i kind of misunderstood how the program works

I thought i can immigrate my office 2007 pst files (that i saved before with Windows Easy Transfer) into my xp again after reformating the system and now i got some data in the SaveData.MIG file that i would like to have again but i cannot access it

thx in advance

Sandokhan Kucic

Monday, June 25, 2007 11:44 PM
  • I am new about USMT and I am thinking about use USMT or a script with Robocopy.
    Are you using LoadState.exe to stract .mig file ? this is the application that you need to user togenter Scanstate to complete the process.

ScanState.exe --> Make the backup and generate .mig file.

LoadState.exe --> Make the restore process using .mig file.

I hope that I did help U.

Regards,

Norberto Gomes

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:49 PM
  • Can I use east transfer wizard in XP user profile migration?

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 12:54 AM
  • I want to migrate local user profile settings from local user account to domain user account. My OS is XP.

when I will join computer to domain it will create new user profile for that user. I want to use easy transfer wizard to migrate user profile settings from local profile to domain user profile.

I am not upgrading XP to Vista. How I can extract *.img by using Easy Transfer Wizard into my new domain user profile?

Can I use ETW to migrate profile from XP to XP ?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:00 AM
  • I'm having a similar issue.  I have a user who wants just a single file out of their migration file.  I used USMT 3.0 and restored the files but he overwrote one of the files (a PST) and now I want to avoid another 3+ hour restoring the settings.  While it's not the same exact situation, it's similar in that I want to be able to extract files from the migration file. 

I've seen the issue you have before.  I believe it was tied to the fact I did not have enough retries with my restore.  Try to bump up the amount of retries and it may copy the files (I'm going to guess that you found a solution as this thread is DEAD).

I'm going to guess that since this was originally posted in 2007, that there is no easy solution to this so this is what I propose.

Build another computer then extract the files to that computer and then pick and choose what you need.  It's not a very good solution but it gets the job done.

I'm really surprised to see a thread like this go with no real answer. 
    Monday, March 02, 2009 9:25 PM
  • Dear Jason,
    I not sure whether that would be manually possible.

What you could do as an alternative is run SCANSTATE.exe with /nocompress option.
    Remember this will not create USMT3.MIG file. However, if creates a catalog.mig file.
    The trick here is, Go to File >> Options and from there enable to View HIDDEN FILES .
    Now you should be able to find a hidden directory FILE and in there other sub folders named as per your DISK DRIVES with a $.
    Get in side the folder(s) and verify the files whether you have got them properly or are you missing any thing?

Hope this helps.

Last point, the file(s) migrated strictly depend on the XML files that you create.

Scienty
    scorp
    Monday, June 22, 2009 7:35 AM
  • Atif,
    I am not sure with the wizard.
    However, you can definitely try with scanstate and loadstate command prompt applications.
    You can possibly use [/md:OldDomain :NewDomain ] AND/OR [/mu:OldDomain \OldUserName :[NewDomain \]NewUserName ]  option. 

Hope this helps and do share your experience back.

Scienty

scorp
    Monday, June 22, 2009 8:33 AM
  • I am not totally clear with your question.
    But what I can understand is, if USMT over writes any of the files, then it can be because of the fact that
    1. There was a file earlier in that path
    2. The original file as in (example) D colon and there was no D colon in the new machine or where you are migrating the data.
    Hence the file was written to C colon.

Make sure that you have the same configuration of hard disk partition in the new system where you are trying to migrate.
    Typically I would use USMT to migrate data on to a fresh built OS/machine. If you run loadstate on an system which already contains data,  I think as a default behavior the data would be over written.

Scienty.

scorp
    Monday, June 22, 2009 8:47 AM
  • Has anyone gotten an answer to the original question.  Is there a way to browse/extract the contents of a MIG file? In some cases I am not seeing the data I want restored, and I would like to extract the contents to a specific location (or browse). I do not want to run LoadState or WET.
    Levi Stevens Technical Consultant - End User Computing - West Region Dell | Services
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:21 PM
  • Jason,

You need to use Migrecover to extract the files. I have posted the tool on my website if you want to just download it for ease of resources. The URL is: http://www.kmbl.us/tools/Migrecover_4.zip The zip file contains the tool and the usage instructions. It’s a command line tool so it’s important you review the materials. It’s been a while but I think there is a batch file you can run as well to simplify.

Hope this helps,

KenF

www.kmbl.us

Ken F
    Monday, October 31, 2011 1:19 PM
  • Norberto I believe you are confusing the USMT with WET.  USMT uses scan and load states and can be scripted for a zero-touch migration using SCCM / SMS where as WET is the built-in utility in Comsumer Windows.

Hope this helps,

KenF

www.kmbl.us

Ken F
    Monday, October 31, 2011 1:21 PM
  • Ken, I will try this tool out.  Microsoft really doesn't have a tool that does this? Its just silly.
    Levi Stevens Technical Consultant - End User Computing - West Region Dell | Services
    Wednesday, November 02, 2011 2:20 AM