none
Windows Explorer in Windows 7 RC restarts all the time

Question

• Hi,

I have been using the Windows 7 RC build 7100 since May and It ran beautifully until last week when the taskbar freezed with the Windows Explorer restarted and restarted and restarted.  I have no clue as what had caused the problem. Similar problem under Vista were reported but not to Windows 7.  Will someone please share your experience how this could be fixed under Windows 7 RC?

William Ho
    Monday, June 22, 2009 7:18 AM

Answers

• Based on current information we could not find the root cause yet. The only thing we can confirm is that the root cause is software confliction. Let's keep monitoring it. Once the issue occurs again, please try Clean Boot Mode again. If there is any question, feel free to post here.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Williamwbho Monday, June 29, 2009 8:42 AM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 7:31 AM
  • Dear Arthur,

I have to give up chasing down the problem as it started all over again.  My choice was to re-install RC again.

Thanks for the help from others too.

William  - still a happy Windows 7 user.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 8:42 AM

All replies

• with me IE8 would not start at all after applying all updates... so i guess somethings goes wrong..
    nevertheless, i did the following to remedy the problem:
    launch control panel, load internet options, go to the advanced tab and at the bottom there is a reset button, click it and see if it behaves normal again... and let me know the outcome :)
    cu
    marc
    Monday, June 22, 2009 7:21 AM
  • Hi William,

Does the problem occur after you reboot?  Does it occur immediately, or after some time or some event?

Does the problem still occur if you boot into safe mode?  Or if you log in with a different user account?

Did you install any software at about the time the problem started happening?
    Monday, June 22, 2009 9:29 AM
  • Dear Dr. Who,

I reset as directed but the problem was still there.  When I logged on under other account, windows explorer was fine so I guessed it must have something to do with my account settings as mentioned in other forum.  I've tried scanning my C: with F-secure but did not find any problem and I ran  the Seagate Disc Tolls to check the disk but reported no prolem too. Any other suggestions?

William

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:26 AM
  • The problem occured after I started and completed some task from the taskbar, e.g. outlook or excel, or other program.  Windows explorer would stop to respond and then the message saying that Windows explorere is restarting...came up.  I've haven't tried botting it from safe mode but I have tried with a different account but the probelm did not occurred so I guessed it must have something to do with my account settings.  It seems to me that the problem started after I have installed the F-secure program update but I am not too sure.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:03 AM
  • Hi William,
    i do apologize, hadn't read your post carefully, i was assuming the problem was with internet explorer...
    so sorry for the confusion
    cu
    marc
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:46 AM
  • The Windows Explorer behavior when you use mouse or keyboard should be the same. The issue you described can be caused by third party programs or Windows Explorer add-ons.

Clean boot

=================

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue occurs in Clean Boot Mode, you may use ShellExView 

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Run ShellExView, in the pane sort the entries with manufacturers. Disable all non-Microsoft *.dll files, and check the result. If the issue does not occur, one of the files can be the culprit. We could narrow down it one by one.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:42 AM
  • Are there relevant entries in the event logs?  Also, do certainly follow Arthur Xie's instructions, elsewhere in this thread...
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:14 AM
  • Arthur, Thanks for the information. However there was very strange Windows Explorer behaviour that I would like to share in the forum I mentioned that I ran F-secure scan on C:\ and disk tools scan on C:\. After that the Windows Explorer behaved normal once. Last night, before I tried your instruction, windows explorer restart kicked in and I had to restart it to continue with the "witch hunt". I turned off all services and turned them back on in group. After each restart of Windows 7, I tried opening up applications and see if Windows Explorer would freeze or not but all went well and I was soon to enable all of the services without Windows explorer restarted. So, I could not locate the witch. One observation though, the "google" search icon just beside the Start icon (lower left corner) disappeared all the time if the Start icon was used. It wouldn't come back until the next log on. This morning (I am in Asia), I started Windows 7 and the restart problem went away. Should I consider it the end of story? I am not sure yet but I will keep the forum posted of any new development.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 2:13 AM
  • Based on current information we could not find the root cause yet. The only thing we can confirm is that the root cause is software confliction. Let's keep monitoring it. Once the issue occurs again, please try Clean Boot Mode again. If there is any question, feel free to post here.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, June 26, 2009 7:31 AM
  • I have been facing the restart problem with Windows 7 Beta and also with RC when i click the Right Click on anything windows explorer just halts and restarts, it's been driving me crazy, i tried to scan my hard drive with Bullguard nothing came up with it. can you please help me with that?
    Friday, June 26, 2009 1:40 PM
  • Hi Hisham Alaa,

Do you experience the problem when you log in as another user?

Have you tried selectively disabling shell extensions with e.g. Autoruns or ShellExView?

Did you try the steps previously provided by Arthur Xie in this thread?
    Friday, June 26, 2009 2:16 PM
  • Dear Arthur,

I have to give up chasing down the problem as it started all over again.  My choice was to re-install RC again.

Thanks for the help from others too.

William  - still a happy Windows 7 user.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 8:42 AM
  • I reinstalled again as well, but it didn't fix the problem...  my explorer crashes every time I try to move something.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:40 AM
  • Hi lxtn,

Let's keep discussion of your issue to the dedicated topic you started:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/846ce532-268a-44be-b260-1fadde96a858

Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:44 PM
  • Dear lxtn,

I was the one who started this thread.  May be I should post an update as what I have been doing.  I re-installed Windows 7 RC build 7100 and things went well.   I suspected the cause of the problem was with Google toolbars.   This time, I disabled the Taskbar icon and my windows explorer runs very well without ever being restarted.  If you can, backup your personal info using the Windows Easy Transfer under Systems Tools under Accessories.   Re-install everything and use the Windows Easy Transfer to get back your personal information.

William Ho
    Monday, July 13, 2009 1:02 PM
  • Greetings.  I, too, am having a similar issue, but it seems apparently this thread is about Internet Explorer and not Windows Explorer.  Ixtn's problem isn't exactly the same as mine, but I'll try there.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:39 AM
  • Greetings.  I, too, am having a similar issue, but it seems apparently this thread is about Internet Explorer and not Windows Explorer.  Ixtn's problem isn't exactly the same as mine, but I'll try there.

Hi Jarek,

Please create a new thread and let's discuss there.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:52 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

I also had this problem with Windows 7 RC, but it only happened every now and again, I've now Clean-Installed my Retail copy of Windows 7 and Windows Explorer still restarts occasionally - again I see it as a minor problem, otherwise Windows 7 is a great Operating System!!. All my games, programs and applications that I used in Windows XP work fine in Windows 7, except for the loss of 3D-Surround Sound in some games using a Creative X-Fi Sound Card, but that was a known problem with Windows Vista Direct Sound I think.

John
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Hi Jondee68,

Explorer really  should not be crashing or restarting at all.  You might consider using e.g. Autoruns or ShellExView to modify what Explorer starts / loads to see if that has an impact on the problem. You might also try a clean boot.  In the event none of those provide any relief...

Can you create the following registry key hierarchy in the registry:
    [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\explorer.exe\ ]
    In the explorer.exe key, create a REG_EXPAND_SZ value named DumpFolder and set the data for the value to %systemdrive%\explorerdumps .  Ensure the %systemdrive%\explorerdumps folder exists, and then cause the crash to happen.  There should be a dump file in %systemdrive%\explorerdumps.

ZIP the dump file, and then upload the ZIP file somewhere. (You may wish to password-protect the ZIP file, and privately share the password with those you choose to allow to examine the contents. My email address is in my profile.)
    Monday, October 26, 2009 2:09 AM