none
not able to clean install windows 8, error-"the product key entered does not match any of the windows images available for installation".

Question

• i want to clean install win 8 on my new lenovo, i have heard that OEM key is stored in the bios and is automatically applied on a clean install. i have downloaded windows 8 file from internet- en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso . 

i tried installing windows, when i click on "install now" , it automatically shows the message- "the product key entered does not match any of the windows images available for installation". when i click "ok", it goes back to the initial start screen where there is an option to either install or repair windows 8. 

i have no idea what is the problem here , the product key should have been automatically applied, but here it is showing the error message. do i need to ask for a DVD from lenovo?

Friday, October 18, 2013 2:30 PM

Answers

• Hello,

that is a different issue, this error message indicates your BIOS is probably not set to EFI, which would mean the disk type would have to be of the MBR type.

Since the disk is GPT, changing the BIOS to be UEFI should make this work. This has nothing to do with ei.cfg, this is comparing the disk type with the firmware to make sure they are sync

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 1:08 AM

All replies

• I have encountered this issue myself on an Asus Ultrabook. The laptop came with Windows 8. I tried installing 8.1 from scratch and it failed. After a few brief searches, i found out how to extract the cd-key from the bios, and tried installing 8.1 with another cdkey. It installed just fine, but when i tried to change the cdkey (cmd > slmgr), it told me that the cdkey is not valid for this version of Windows.

So, all in all, you can't install Windows 8.1 directly. You have to install W8, and then upgrade from the store to 8.1, because of the cdkey being OEM. This issue might be fixed by waiting for an OEM ISO of W8.1.

This issue is also valid for installing W8, with a retail version of the ISO.

Hope i answered your question,
    Have a nice day!

Friday, October 18, 2013 2:36 PM
  • no actually i want to reinstall windows 8 itself . i alredy have windows 8 on laptop, but i want to clean install it. can you tell me how to extract the product key and how to use it in the iso file in dvd?
    Friday, October 18, 2013 7:09 PM
  • Firstly, check this post, it might help: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-access-the-bios-on-a-windows-8-computer/

How to get the key: http://www.sherr.co.uk/retrieve_windows_8_license_key_from_bios/

Friday, October 18, 2013 7:53 PM
  • Hello,

Not sure what the ISO is or where it came from or what images are contained in the wim file.

That error message means that the image in the WIM on the DVD does not match up with the Product key in the bios

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, October 18, 2013 8:13 PM
  • hi,

i think i have a valid iso image,

Filename: en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso SHA1: 1CE53AD5F60419CF04A715CF3233F247E48BEEC4

i tried a different method , i created a ei.cfg file in the sources folder of the DVD with the following contents,

[EditionID]
    Core
    [Channel]
    Retail
    [VL]

now it goes till the screen where we can choose the partition to install windows and format it, but when i choose a partition, it displays an error message,

"windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

but this error should not have been displayed as windows 8 requires GPT partition, and i have the same.

do you  think there is some error in the ei.cfg file ?

Saturday, October 19, 2013 6:47 AM
  • Hello,

that is a different issue, this error message indicates your BIOS is probably not set to EFI, which would mean the disk type would have to be of the MBR type.

Since the disk is GPT, changing the BIOS to be UEFI should make this work. This has nothing to do with ei.cfg, this is comparing the disk type with the firmware to make sure they are sync

Sunday, October 20, 2013 1:08 AM
  • Not sure what has happened? I have a Lenovo y580 purchased 12/2012 w/win8.I have installed, Win 7 pro(OEM), win7 pro and win 8.1 dual boot, Win 7 pro and win8(OEM) and now finally settled on win8pro upgrade, now 8.1 pro. Just to learn I have also done a complete factory recovery. Appox. 5 different configs.

That said the can't install to GPT is because I believe it's a protected partition. When I have run into this I backup all data I want to save(easy transfer program is good for this!). At the install I enter custom install/ then advanced/ in advanced I delete the main os partition/ after the delete I click the new choice. Highlight partition then install.

One last funny thing when I have done it this way so far I haven't had to enter any keys! Not sure why but my activations have just been there.

The only problem I have had was the Pro pak didn't give me pro. A call to support a help windows site entered my key and now Pro. Clean install then upgraded to Win 8.1 Pro.

Oh, there are some BIOS setting Make sure secure boot enabled, UEFI boot and of course boot to OD. You may have to go into to the bios a couple of times to get the settings correct. I noticed in my bios I changed secure boot and other settings available.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 9:09 AM