none
Windows 7 16bit work around

Question

• I have Windows 7 running on my Toshiba laptop. I have 3 programs that do not work with Windows 7 but did work with Vista. All 3 programs are 16 bit dos versions. The compatiblity feature does not seem to recognize the change to previous version of windows. These programs I do not use all the time, but they are important to my job. Is there anyway to make these 16bit programs work? Is Windows 7 compatibility feature broken? Is there some type of work around for the older programs that are being left behind?
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:59 PM

Answers

• Try installing them in XP Mode - plenty of links to the white papers in the forums.
    mmm... coffee...
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:32 AM
  • Are you running the x64 version of Windows 7?  16-bit applications will not run on any 64-bit version of Windows, even using compatibility mode.  They should run in XP Mode, however, as others have suggested.

-Matt
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, October 06, 2009 2:21 AM
    Friday, October 02, 2009 7:51 PM

All replies

• Which version of Windows 7 are you using? Also 32 bit or 64 bit?  I have no problem in 32 bit Windows 7 but there is no support for 16 bit dos programs in 64 bit (Vista either). If you have 64 bit Ultimate or Pro you can use XP mode and 16 bit Dos programs run fine (also in 32 bit as well).
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:27 PM
  • Try installing them in XP Mode - plenty of links to the white papers in the forums.
    mmm... coffee...
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:32 AM
  • Try to right click the program, choose Troubleshoot Compatibility.

Does it work?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:06 AM
  • Troubleshoot Compatibility, does not work, still tells me that the program is not compatible with the version of windows I am running.
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 4:12 AM
  • Troubleshoot Compatibility, does not work, still tells me that the program is not compatible with the version of windows I am running.

Agree with Thekryten, XP Mode should be a good choice for these programs.

Thanks.
    Friday, October 02, 2009 6:20 AM
  • Are you running the x64 version of Windows 7?  16-bit applications will not run on any 64-bit version of Windows, even using compatibility mode.  They should run in XP Mode, however, as others have suggested.

-Matt
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, October 06, 2009 2:21 AM
    Friday, October 02, 2009 7:51 PM
  • Because of security concerns I was told totold to shut of the 16 bit compatability for apps for security concerns, so reverse it and turn it on or see if thats the problem. Heres 2 ways to check.
    1)

Just go to one of your GPOs and set this option:

Computerconfiguration/Administrative Templates/Windows-Components/Applicationcompatibility and set "deny access to 16bit applications" to enabled.

2)

Create a key called "AppCompat" under "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows" and a D-Word-entry called "VDMDisallowed" with value "1"

Hope this helps. Brian

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:29 PM
  • hey, I'm having this exact same problem as this user who posted.

could you expand on what xp mode is?

do yu have to downgrade your 7 to XP?

Sunday, June 27, 2010 1:18 AM
  • No. If you are using Windows 7 Prof, Ultimate or Enterprise, you can download the "XP mode" from here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/. It allows you to run a copy of XP Professional in a virtual machine (Virtual PC).
    "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” (Thomas J. Watson, Sr.)
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 10:47 AM
  • NO, it's a free download 4 licensed users of windows 7... it's a virtual version i.e. it runs in a virtual emulator vis. Microsoft Virtual PC..
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:56 PM