none
Flag for Hotfixing - Windows Media Player 12 Shutdown Bug

General discussion

• I've created this thread because the majority of Windows 7 users are experiencing this problem, which seems to have become widespread in March-2012 at the earliest.  Many of you may have noticed a strange number of symptoms leading up to the failure with WMP12, including: =

• A corrupted or non-functional playlist database;
    • The ability to play certain mainstream file formats;
    • Significant slowdowns when playing large videos;

The more recent symptom, however, is when the software refuses to shut down correctly.  In this instance videos will not play, with a "Server Execution Failed" error appearing after the filename, regardless of file type.  This is because while the application has been closed, it remains ever-present in the Task Manager and all attempts to terminate the executable, fail.  The "Taskkill" ability in the Command Prompt as Administrator also will not work, forcing a system reboot.

Please note that the reinstallation of WMP12 - using the "Turn Windows Features On or Off" ability in the Control Panel - will not fix this problem... I recommend if you are a Windows 7 user with this issue, please provide what symptoms you are experiencing along with your basic system spec, so Technet personnel can produce the most compatible Hotfix.

I have Win7 Ultimate 64-Bit with an Intel Core 2 Extreme X9000 (2.8GHz), 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, and twin-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 9800M 2GB.

Thanks!

Hyncharas - Simon Spencer
    MSDN Subscriber
    Dell IdeaStorm Community Rockstar

Friday, April 13, 2012 9:16 AM

All replies