none
Windows6.1-KB958559-x64 the update is not applicable to your computer

Question

• I have yet to find a good answer on this one. Running a Q6600 with a 680i mobo VT enabled in the bios, 8GB ram. Win 7 RC fresh install. Loaded drivers rebooted and ran the XP mode install first, then ran the VPC file Windows6.1-KB958559-x64 only to get the message, "The update is not applicable to your computer." This should work on this machine. I've unpluged everything but the HD and video card to install this. Also would like to say it installed fine on my laptop which has the Intel T7500 processor. Any help or links to other forums you guys could post here on the topic would be greatly appreciated. I need to run some old data recovery software that just won't load on 7 and XP Mode allows you to access all drives on the system. Thanks!
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:52 PM

Answers

• Windows Virtual PC RTM requires RTM version of Windows 7. This will not install on pre-RTM/RC builds. 
    Thanks, -Rahul -- "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:41 AM

All replies

•   You are definitely running x64 version of Windows 7?

Bill
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:22 PM
  • Running x64, and tonight I set myself to have full permissions in the security but still no luck to get this to run. Also re downloaded the thing from Microsoft just in case, no luck. I'm curious, I have not tried to run Virtual PC 2007 on this machine, would that allow xp mode to run the same?
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:53 AM
  •   No. And you can't install VPC 2007 while you have WVPC installed.

Bill
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:54 AM
  • Considering I've yet to successfully install WVPC at all, I'm giving 2007 a shot just to run XP Mode. Figure i'm on the second installation of Win7, if this doesn't work I'm going to be in the third soon enough! Still there is a problem with several threads I've seen with users having difficulty installing this on perfectly capable machines. MaximumPC has an article in it about Win7 this month and recommended a download from Steve Gibson called Securable. See http://www.grc.com/securable.htm that will easily till you if XP Mode can be ran on your machine.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 5:11 AM
  • Windows Virtual PC RTM requires RTM version of Windows 7. This will not install on pre-RTM/RC builds. 
    Thanks, -Rahul -- "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:41 AM
    I'm running XP Mode on version 7100 (RC) just fine on my laptop. XPS 1530 with a T7500 and 4GB ram. That brings me to realize I must be running Virtual PC Beta! Aha! So the answer to get XP Mode on these peoples machines who are having problems must be that they are using RC and the VPC RTM is the version being offered from the Microsoft site! I bet I could find the Beta with a google search and I done went and put Vista back on my machine to run the program I needed. After using 7 since Beta came out I must say the downgrade to Vista is torture! Do you happen to have that link for VPC Beta on hand?
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 5:27 PM
  • I am looking at the MSU package and going to give it the trick people were using to upgrade from Windows 7 Beta to RC. Where you look into the files to change the version. There is an XML file in the MSU that checks the version of the system you are installing on. The current code looks like this: 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
        <servicing>
            <package action="install">
                <assemblyIdentity  buildType="release" language="neutral" name="Microsoft-Windows-VirtualPC-Package-TopLevel" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" version="7.1.7600.16393"/>
                <source location="%configsetroot%\Windows6.1-KB958559-x64.CAB" />
            </package>
         </servicing>
    </unattend>

and may need to be changed to this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
        <servicing>
            <package action="install">
                <assemblyIdentity  buildType="release" language="neutral" name="Microsoft-Windows-VirtualPC-Package-TopLevel" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" version="7.1"/>
                <source location="%configsetroot%\Windows6.1-KB958559-x64.CAB" />
            </package>
         </servicing>
    </unattend>

Either it has to be version 7.1 or 7100
    Hope it works.
    • Edited by BBarbagallo Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:36 PM
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:20 PM
  • Found this write up on how to open an msu file http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/02/15/extract-and-view-contents-of-microsoft-update-standalone-package-msu-for-windows-vista/
    To figure out what is in the msu for those of you out there who are being cheap as I am in making VPC RTM to work on RC instead of just buying RTM 7:
    1. create a folder that is named C:\MSUFolder, and then save the MSU file to this folder.

2. At a command prompt, type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
      c:
      cd c:\MSUFolder

expand -F:* Saved_MSU_File_Name.msu c:\MSUFolder

expand -F: Saved_MSU_File_Name.cab c:\MSUFolder

If anyone tries this and it works please post results. I'm using vista for now to run some partition/file recovery on a home server raid with 2 bad drives so I'm preoccupied for the time being. Also very afraid to try this on my main laptop. Not sure of the consequences of running the hot fix, or running it where VPC beta was once installed. This would be a good experiment to someone who did a fresh install using RC, and something I'll get back to next weekend. Thanks for everyone who has responded and who responds!
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:25 PM
  • I can extract the MSU and modify the XML file, but can anyone tell me how to recreate the MSU from this modified file? I have searched around but there is not that much information out there about MSU files.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 6:57 PM
  • I can extract the MSU and modify the XML file, but can anyone tell me how to recreate the MSU from this modified file? I have searched around but there is not that much information out there about MSU files.
    To expand on the question, can the cab files be ran without it being put back into an MSU file? If so what do we need to do/click on.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 7:51 PM
    To expand on the question, can the cab files be ran without it being put back into an MSU file? If so what do we need to do/click on.

I have also had a go on this, since I need to see if VirtualXP can be used to solve compatibility problems for some software we need to use. There is a command pkgmgr.exe, which seems to be able to do the job (i.e. install without repacking), but I have not been able to figure out how to get it to run properly. I've tried a number of switches, giving either the xml file name or the folder name, but it won't complete for me. Maybe someone else could take a look at it and figure out what I'm doing wrong? :)
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:38 AM
  • hello, i downloaded and saved windows6.1-KB947821-v14-x64 . but it,s not install or run in my laptop. how i do  for run or appllication this update ? thank.s
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:37 AM
  • I know this is a long shot but this worked for me (and I have been banging my head for hours to get it to work).

• Download the raw file for XP Mode from the microsoft website
    • Restart your computer press (Esc/F2/Del) to enter bios and turn on Virtualization Technology (VT).  Press F10 to save normally
    • When Windows 7 has restarted go to Control Panel->Programs and Features->Turn Windows Features on or off
    • Scroll down to Windows Virtual PC and uncheck the box
    • Restart
    • Once logged in again Install the update package Windows6.1-KB958559-{xxx}-RefreshPkg.msu

This worked for me so I hope it helps anyone else out there.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 11:54 PM