none
No Sound - IDT High Definition Audio CODEC (Windows Vista)

Question

• I no longer have sound. When I click on the sound icon, I see "VOLUME 0, speakers, IDT High Definition Audio CODEC." When I right click and select "Open Volume Mixer," I get the error box that reads, "No audio device installed." When I look in the device manager (control panel | device manager | Sound, video and game controllers), the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC device indicates that it is working properly and is enabled.
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Monday, November 01, 2010 8:55 PM Moved to proper forum category (From:Windows Vista Networking)
    Monday, November 01, 2010 7:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting!

You can open troubleshooting from control panel, click on Hardware and Sound->troubleshoot audio playback. Please tell us the result.

If system restore doesn't work, please download the latest Audio driver from Dell's download website. After that, uninstall the previous driver and install this one to check the result.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, November 03, 2010 8:03 AM

All replies

• Laptop is Dell Latitude E6400. OS is Windows Vista Service Pack 1. Thanks!
    Monday, November 01, 2010 7:18 PM
  • if you can remember when it started, run a system restore and restore your computer to a day before the problem started.

to run system restore:

start> at the search box, type system restore

or

start>programs>accessories>system tools> system restore

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Monday, November 01, 2010 8:53 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for posting!

You can open troubleshooting from control panel, click on Hardware and Sound->troubleshoot audio playback. Please tell us the result.

If system restore doesn't work, please download the latest Audio driver from Dell's download website. After that, uninstall the previous driver and install this one to check the result.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, November 03, 2010 8:03 AM