none
windows installer service could not be accessed

Question

• I have installed (and removed and re-installed) Adobe CS3 Design Premium on a 64-bit operating system running Windows 7 Professional. The Windows 7 compatibility center says this program should run. During installation in wants a .dll file from a Vista CD. If I continue the installation without it, most features function but Adobe Acrobat 8 does not. 

I have tried just installing Adobe Acrobat 8 (which is my highest priority right this minute!) but I receive the error message: "Windows installer service could not be accessed..." Windows installer service is active and I have changed it to automatic vs. the default manual. Still no go.

Desperate for ideas and solutions. I see solutions on the Vista help forum that require editing the registry. Looking forward to a solution for Windows 7 (the ironic thing of this is I loved Vista--never a problem from start to finish. I only changed to Windows 7 because my laptop conked out and I had to buy a new one and I thought this was the smart choice)

Signed,
    Missing Vista 

Friday, December 04, 2009 1:33 AM

Answers

• Hi kathleenmarth,

Can other program which requires Windows installer be installed properly? If the issue only occurs while installing Adobe software, it is recommended contacting Adobe directly to check this issue.

If other programs cannot be installed either, please try the following suggestions to check the Windows Installer.

First, please see if the program can be installed in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue persists, please continue:

1. Quit all Windows programs.

2. Click Start, type Run in the Search box and then press Enter, type msiexec /unregister in the Open box, and then click OK.

3. Click Start, type Run in the Search box and then press Enter, type msiexec /regserver in the Open box, and then click OK.

4. Restart your computer.

If the issue still exists, please perform System File Checker by the steps below:

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation DVD into the DVD-ROM; Click Exit if the auto-menu pops up.

2. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow. 

3.  At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

For more information, please refer to this knowledge base (KB) article: How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:31 AM
    Friday, December 04, 2009 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hi kathleenmarth,

Can other program which requires Windows installer be installed properly? If the issue only occurs while installing Adobe software, it is recommended contacting Adobe directly to check this issue.

If other programs cannot be installed either, please try the following suggestions to check the Windows Installer.

First, please see if the program can be installed in Clean Boot. If the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue persists, please continue:

1. Quit all Windows programs.

2. Click Start, type Run in the Search box and then press Enter, type msiexec /unregister in the Open box, and then click OK.

3. Click Start, type Run in the Search box and then press Enter, type msiexec /regserver in the Open box, and then click OK.

4. Restart your computer.

If the issue still exists, please perform System File Checker by the steps below:

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation DVD into the DVD-ROM; Click Exit if the auto-menu pops up.

2. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow. 

3.  At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

For more information, please refer to this knowledge base (KB) article: How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:31 AM
    Friday, December 04, 2009 8:54 AM
  • Hi,

I'm having exactly the same problem.  re-registering msiexec had no affect.  The sfc program responded "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".   I am seeing problems with iTunes and also a VPN client that I am trying to install (from SonicWall).   Like the origingal poster, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit).

The installer service is showing as running, and everything appears to be in order except for these programs that don't want to install/uninstall.

Thanks.

Kurt
    Friday, December 11, 2009 7:17 PM
  • Hi,

I too am having a very similar problem.  I tried the re-registering msiexec, no affect, I ran the "sfc /scannow" and that reported: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"  The programs that I am having problems with are iTunes, their suite of programs, and MacDrive 8.  I can't install either of the programs.  additionally, like the other poster's in this forum I am running Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit).  

Thanks,
    Chris
    Monday, December 21, 2009 2:19 AM
  • Hi, 

I also am having the same problem with installing itunes would appreciate a good solid fix that works. I also have not got any of the fixes mentioned above to work.

When I tried the    msiexec /unregister it says that it cannot find it

Waiting for fix
    Stan

Sunday, December 27, 2009 2:34 AM
  • Sigh.... me too. Error occurred when trying to install updates to Adobe Acrobat v8. Same errors as above (which led me to this site). Same operating system (Windows 7). Also tried same fixes regedit and unregister/register recommended above and also had to luck. I'm stuck without a print to file printer.

Also waiting for fix
    Susan
    • Proposed as answer by AppTricks Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:00 AM
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:01 AM
  • I just figured out a fix for my problem.  I guess my msiserver.reg file.  The directory of the file/folder in the registry that got messed up some how was under the location HKEY_lOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/services/msiserver, for some reason I had a file that looked something like: MSiServer or some thing with weird capitalization.  I checked with 2 other windows 7 64 bit computers, one pro and another ult, like mine, and their's were both lower case.  there was also no WOW64 file or a sub directory which mine had (bad).  as a microsoft support person I would recommend exporting both 32 and 64 bit copies of this file in the directory to the internet somewhere so that people can download it and see if they have the same problem and are not as lucky as I am to have multiple computers in that I can access.  

steps that I did to fix my computer:
    1. navigate (on a good computer) to the already stated directory.
    2. export the reg file onto a usb drive
    3. go into the bad computer w/ corrupted file and delete the file from the registry
    4. file import (in regedit) the working file onto the broken computer

hope this helps more than just myself!

chris
     ps, sorry for proposing sbclark's reply as an answer, my bad
    • Proposed as answer by AppTricks Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:01 AM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:01 AM
  • Thanks Chris

I purchased two computers in January. Both computers are running Windows 7 Home Premium. The 32 bit MSI Laptop runs the Windows installer without incident. The 64 bit HP Desktop has given me problems installing software on occasion. Just today I could not install the 64 bit PrinterShare software that will allow me to print from my iPhone. Since this software was just released and is a 64 bit program, I figured something was up. I performed a Web Search and came across your article above.

I noted the same thing you described. My Desktop had the Key file MSIServer but the Laptop had the Key file msiserver. A closer look at the key files revealed many differences including the lack of the file you mention WOW64 on the Desktop.

NOTE: I took a gamble doing this as the two computers are different (32 bit VS 64 bit)

Here is what I did:

Ran Regedit on the HP Desktop
    Navigated to HKEY_lOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/services/MSIServer) on the HP Desktop
    Saved the KEY MSIServer file to another safe location on the HP - (I used My Docs)

Ran Regedit on the MSI Laptop
    Navigated to HKEY_lOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/services/msiserver on the MSI Laptop
    Exported the Key msiserver file directly into a shared directory on the Desktop (since the two computers are networked) (your method is just fine also)

I navigated back into the registry on the HP Desktop and deleted the KEY MSIServer file
    NOTE: (Verify you are still in the HKEY_lOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/services/MSIServer before you delete)

Imported the KEY msiserver file  from (My Docs)

Closed Regedit on both computers

I again tried installing the PrinterShare software and it worked just fine.

Next I tried to install another program that would not work before (PrimeTimes10) and it also installed just fine.

I was worried that the 32 bit KEY File not work on the 64 bit machine but everything seems to be fine.

Thanks Again - Jim
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:49 PM
  • My greatest thanks to both Apptricks and Gembo3 for posting your solution.  I too had the same problem when trying to install a 3d Connexion SpacePilot Pro, and now thanks to your posting I followed your lead and did as you did, except that I took my MSIServer registry key from my HP 32 bit laptop running XP and imported into my Acer Aspire 64 bit 7738G running on Win 7.  Now all is working ok and I can fully utilise the functions of the 3d connexions SpacePilot Pro.  Thanks again to all!

V-Max1200

Saturday, May 29, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Thanks again to Apptricks and Gembo3!  I just got done re-installing Windows from the ground up when, out of nowhere, I ran into the same problem.  The (un)registering, etc.,  didn't work for me, either, but deleting and replacing the registry entry worked like a charm.  Thanks for the help.  :D
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 3:23 AM
  • Hi all,

I've gotthe same problem with my 64 bit Windows 7 machine, mine occurred whilst trying to update iTunes and now I'm stuck with a half removed version of iTunes I can't use or uninstall, and I'm unable to install anythign else requiring windows installer. After trying the knowledge base recommendations I tried the steps above taking the registry key from my XP machine, but no luck. Does anyone else have any ideas, or does anyone know if there is a published working 64 bit key available anywhere?

Thanks

Saturday, July 03, 2010 11:14 AM
  • I had the same error in with the i-tunes installation and i did this and it worked.... This works for any i tunes that fails to install itself on 64 Bit

You have to go into your registry.

Start, run, type in “regedit”.

Next go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Services
    MSIServer

To the right you’ll see WOW64. Double click on it, or right click on it and click on modify. Change the setting from 1 to 0.

Next, go to the start menu again and type in the search box: “services.msc”.

Look for and find the Windows Installer service.

Double click on it and tell it to stop. Next, tell it to start.

You should now be able to install your programs.

• Proposed as answer by TorroNegro Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:12 PM
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:56 PM
  • I had the same error in with the i-tunes installation and i did this and it worked.... This works for any i tunes that fails to install itself on 64 Bit

SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Services
    MSIServer

To the right you’ll see WOW64. Double click on it, or right click on it and click on modify. Change the setting from 1 to 0.

Thanks for this - I am having trouble with NVidia drivers and couldn't uninstall PhysX to do a clean driver install.

All I needed to do was to enable and then start the service (services.msc) and I could then uninstall.

• Proposed as answer by Mario Groleau Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:29 PM
    Monday, October 11, 2010 12:38 PM

SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Services
    MSIServer

Your a champion!

I search an answer since one month now!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,very very very Much!

Mario Groleau Software engineer University du Québec à Trois-Rivières
    Monday, November 08, 2010 2:59 PM
  • You are the BOMB DOT COM! Thank you for this!
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:11 PM
  • Try this. Go to Control Panel ; Administrative tools ; Services ; and check if Windows Installer Startup type is automatic and status is started. I had a similar problem with some applications but not others and it was because my startup type was set to manual. Apparently some applications correctly access the windows installer and start it if needed whereas others can only use it if it is already started. IE Adobe uninstall crashed and IBM System update uninstall crashed but windows update successfully installed latest patches and updates. >>> Sucromatic
    • Proposed as answer by SUCROMATIC Friday, November 12, 2010 12:31 AM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 12:29 AM
  • THANK YOU SO MUCH! Changing WOW64 from 1 to 0 fixed my Win7 X64 machine
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:29 AM
  • kalidasan good
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 8:50 PM
  • This fixed my Windows 7 Home Ultimate machine also.  I have been trying to install Office 2007 and Zune software for about 6 months now and could not until I found this solution.  I also could not install Net Framwork 4.0 until I did this.

Thank you Kalidasan!

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 3:09 PM

SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Services
    MSIServer

i love you man
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 1:24 AM
  • i had this same problem while trying to download itunes.  i have windows 7 (64) and spent hours trying to figure out how to download itunes after continuous error message "windows installer cannot be accessed".  this solution fixed my problem!!!  after doing what you said, i could instantly download itunes!  thank you!  thank you!  thank you!  thank you!
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:27 PM
  • what if you dont see wow64??????????????????
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 3:19 AM
  • I have the same thing. I am trying to install a program update that uses Windows Installer and I get the error message. I don't have a WOW64 file in the MSIServer folder in the registry. All this happened after I installed Windows 7 SP1.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Sunday, March 06, 2011 9:15 PM
  • same problem started right after I installed Windows 7 (32-bit) Service Pack 1. Tried to update iTunes and got error message.

No WOW64 line in regedit.

Monday, March 07, 2011 12:44 AM
  • THANK YOU!!!  This worked, first time, 45 seconds to implement.  I have spent HOURS trying to sort this out -- you rock!
    Monday, March 07, 2011 3:53 PM
  • what if you dont see wow64??????????????????
    Yeah, I can't see it O_O I really need help
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:30 AM
  • same problem started right after I installed Windows 7 (32-bit) Service Pack 1. Tried to update iTunes and got error message.

No WOW64 line in regedit.

Same with me, I installed 64-bit though.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:33 AM
  • Having the same problem, no WOW64 however I am on a 32 bit Win 7 machine.

Cant update or install anything.

dg

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:19 AM
  • Try this. Go to Control Panel ; Administrative tools ; Services ; and check if Windows Installer Startup type is automatic and status is started. I had a similar problem with some applications but not others and it was because my startup type was set to manual. Apparently some applications correctly access the windows installer and start it if needed whereas others can only use it if it is already started. IE Adobe uninstall crashed and IBM System update uninstall crashed but windows update successfully installed latest patches and updates. >>> Sucromatic

THANK YOU Sir!

I checked this and sure enough, it was set to "Manual Start" -- and was stopped!!!

You, Sir, Rock.

You must play a Gibson guitar.

Many thanks!

David Small

Monday, April 11, 2011 6:15 PM
  • My regedit trail leads to an all lower case "msiserver" which does not have a WOW64 associated with it as to many of the subsequent posts.  Any other direction to find this?  Can't update I-tunes in a Windows7 Home premium machine.  I have no other machines to use for reinstalling settings.

Your answer seems wonderful for a lot of frustrated users.  I'm still hoping for magic..........grp

Sunday, April 24, 2011 7:54 PM
  • My regedit trail leads to an all lower case "msiserver" which does not have a WOW64 associated with it as to many of the subsequent posts.  Any other direction to find this?  Can't update I-tunes in a Windows7 Home premium machine.  I have no other machines to use for reinstalling settings.

Your answer seems wonderful for a lot of frustrated users.  I'm still hoping for magic..........grp

Same here, help appreciated please!!

Tried all of the solutions above, but no WOW64 file and msiserver is LC not UC.  Services was set to manual and have changed to auto and restarted but still no dice.

Any solutions people?

Cheers..

Thursday, May 05, 2011 9:46 AM
  • Just like ClareGa, I did everything:

• -Msiexec Unreg/Reg - note: when I do so, no message at all ; how can I know what happens? If I just type msiexec, I have a pop-up window even after the /unreg.
    • Sfc scannow - note: why do I have to insert the Widows DVD? ; it seems to be not used.
    • Registry check, etc.
      even trying to scan my drives with an anti-virus and everything is clean ;

All  but the Adobe Lightroom installer is just fine.
      The problem is I have no log, no trace, no nothing to give me a hint ; just that stupid error message ! :-( And Adobe is not really helping either...

So please please please, a new idea.

Saturday, May 07, 2011 4:24 PM
  • I'm getting the same as people above... No WOW64 file...

Getting beyond a joke because MS dont seem to have a solution to there own OS's errors.

Sunday, May 08, 2011 5:10 AM
  • I'm getting the same problem not only with one program to install! but also with any program I wanted to install these days: AVG,Microsoft Office, C++ builder, avast!!!! Even I had problem to update my windows 7 important updates!!!!

and non of your solution was useful. It  seems that MICROSOFT does not have ANY SOLUTION FOR ITS FAULTS!!!! ALL OF YOU!!!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:45 PM
  • ArI'm getting the same as people above... No WOW64 file...

Getting beyond a joke because MS dont seem to have a solution to there own OS's errors.

Agree,.. supposedly fixcleaner can fix it OR TRY make name WOW64  type reg_dwordv  data 0000 01 00 00 00

Thursday, May 19, 2011 6:41 PM
  • I'm also getting this error today. :( Windows 7 32-bit. What none of the solution works. :(
    Bryan Chung's Blog http://www.bryanchung.sg
    Saturday, June 04, 2011 6:32 AM
  • Thank you!!. I got back on track with my widows installer.

Blessings

Thursday, June 09, 2011 12:40 AM
  • i have only one question towards the registry part, when i get to control set i have two, one says ControlSet001 the other ControlSet002, do i change both or just one?
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 4:18 AM
  • I've been tracking this page for the last couple of months hoping for a solution to this issue. I've tried changing the registry setting but I'm another with no WOW64 to change. My PC is becoming more and more unusable now that it's impossible to install almost anything!! Come on Microsoft, this is a really serious issue and you're not stepping up to the plate !!
    Richard Lloyd
    Monday, June 13, 2011 8:07 AM
  • I installed the following hotfix, which looked very promising, but it has not solved the problem. 

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=20858

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [May 2011]

This tool is being offered because an inconsistency was found in the Windows servicing store which may prevent the successful installation of future updates, service packs, and software

Richard Lloyd
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:51 AM
  • Tried this "hotfix" (x86 version) as well, as well as everything else the copy and paste Windows Staff, and the helpful users have recommended (I have no WOW64 either). 

Any further help is greatly appreciated!

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:20 PM
  • Tried to install fixcleaner but wasn't able to because I got the dreaded message

"windows installer service could not be accessed" !

Richard Lloyd
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 8:45 AM
  • For me, what worked was a combination of importing the KEY msiserver file  from my win7 (32bit) to the troubled win7 64bit, then changing the value of the WOW64 to 0.

Thanks a lot!

Saturday, July 16, 2011 9:19 PM
  • The solutions posted here did not help in our situation, however when trying to get into Safe Mode on the Windows 7 64-bit computer we were promted with a repair utility. Upon executing that repair utility, and opting not to restore to previous point the problem is gone. This utility ran for about an hour.

You can simply get to this utility on Windows 7 by forcing the computer to shut down while booting Windows. On the next reboot of the computer, you should be promted with this utility or to start Windows normally.

Kenneth Bucci, MCP
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:24 PM
  • I have tried what this post says and a number of other things that I googled to solve the problem of "windows istaller could not be accessed."  The only thing I found that worked for my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit computer was to do some work on the registry.  It seems to me that somebody on the internet is having fun with corrupting the file msiserver in the registry.  I don't know how else this file could get corrupted.  So, please follow these steps carefully.  It's an easy problem to fix if your problem was like mine, but it drove me crazy to find and answer.  I found that I couldn't install programs, nor deleted programs from the control panel as the adminstrator.  Here are the steps I learned from another on the internet and I'm wanting to share with others.  Here are the correct steps:

1.  Download the "msiserver" file to your desktop

2.  Open regedit and export "all" files for your backup to documents or some place where you can make a backup of the entire registry. 

3.  Also, go to systems, device manager and create a restore point.  These two backup steps will help you reset registry if things go wrong.

4.  Return to regedit and under "find" locate theHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msiserver registry key.  Completely delete the fold "msiserver" from the registry.  

5.  Do not restart, but go to the choice of "import" within regedit and locate the file you downloaded "msiserver" for your operating sytem whether it be Windows 7, XP, or whatever.  Import that file into the registry. 

6.  Restart you computer and see if you have recieved back the right as the adminstrator.  

Hopefully, this is the information that you've been looking for all along, and not all these other dead end searches that do absolutely nothing to get to the root of the problem, which is a corrupted file in he registry that not even the file checker for windows can pick up and fix.  

Enjoy Working on Computers
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 5:38 PM
  • Kalidasan... you sir are AWESOME!  I have been fighting with my latest install of Win 7 Pro 64 for over a month.  I have been through countless installs/wipes/re-installs trying to figure out what the problem was with programs suddenly not installing and getting the dreaded "installer not available error".  I have tried various solutions and none worked.  i happened to stumble across this forum, and your solution WORKED PERFECTLY!  In less than 2 minutes I had fixed the problem by doing exactly what you said to do.  All of my updates are working again, and life is good.

Thank you so much for sharing, and immedately go apply to Microsoft... they can obviously use the help!

YOU ROCK!

Sunday, July 31, 2011 4:39 AM
  • I had this problem after iTunes and Quicktime were corrupted after an update.

I eventually came across this Microsoft Support tool "Fixit" http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

It worked perfectly for me.

Hope this helps, Daryl.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Hello i directed into there and found there was no WOW64 however the MSIServer folder i was in was called msiserver does that make any difference? Please help as i have been trying to fix this for months on end and havoc is an understatement

I have tried  http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall and basically what happened was my computer was on for hours and i clicked the cross i cannot find itunes or quicktime in add or remove programmes , but they still work and launch fine and HAVE NOT been removed

How can i fix this for once and forall i have tried everything on here aswell!

• Edited by Anthony Si Saturday, October 01, 2011 2:59 PM i wanted to improve accuracy
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 2:55 PM
  • I got my windows 7 64bit home premium system to work again after looking through all these posts and comparing many registry keys to my netbook.

I DID NOT have WOW64 in the registry key and it was called msiserver NOT MSIServer in Capitals.

All I had to do to get installers such as Java or AVG anti-virus working again was to edit the "ImagePath" within msiserver.

I changed it from reading C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe /V to reading C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe /V

The file msiexec.exe did not exist in sysWOW64 but did in Systen32 like my netbook.

Hope this fixes your system!

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:01 AM
  • Got the installer on a Windows 7 64 bit HP system to work by doing the reverse of the above - changed the path in msiserver to ~\SysWOW64\ and everything worked again. 
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:12 AM
  • Kalidasan, you are a legend, as everyone is saying.  I have been trying to sort this out for weeks, to install MS Security Essentials.  In desparation tried to install another program and got the "Windows Installer Service could not be accessed" message, found your suggestion about changing the WOW64 setting, and PRESTO.  Essentials installed no problem; and did it while other security still running which is what MS help was focussed on.  Brilliant, and thanks ! 

• Proposed as answer by Neilhoh Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:51 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:26 AM
  • I dont have anything that says WOW64 in the msiserver folder, please tell me what to do from there then...
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 11:09 PM
  • Hey this website http://www.windowsinstallerservicecouldnotbeaccessed.com gave me step by step instructions on how to solve windows installer service could not be accessed  message.
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 6:59 PM
  • Running sfc scan from this site fixed it for me:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-system/windows-installer-repair-for-vista-64bit-pack-2/a988f90f-ce1f-4058-8895-ffad524df3c7

Friday, February 17, 2012 7:50 PM
  • love you chap..it was a great help..keep posting...well done..

Kris

Bristol - UK

• Proposed as answer by Val Ramirez Saturday, April 28, 2012 4:43 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Val Ramirez Saturday, April 28, 2012 4:43 PM
    Friday, March 02, 2012 10:00 PM
  • Copy HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msiserver from another working computer and import it to the problem PC.
    In elevated cmd, msiexec /unregister then msiexec /regserver
    Restart the computer after.
    Worked for me. Hope it helps.

• Proposed as answer by Val Ramirez Thursday, May 03, 2012 5:18 PM
    Saturday, April 28, 2012 4:48 PM
  • That fixed it for me too! :)
    Tuesday, May 01, 2012 10:39 AM
  • Kalidasan, you are made of win.  Bravo!
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 12:20 PM
  • Copy HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msiserver from another working computer and import it to the problem PC.
    In elevated cmd, msiexec /unregister then msiexec /regserver
    Restart the computer after.
    Worked for me. Hope it helps.

Do this keys msiexec /unregister /regserver actually work on Windows 7? The msiexec /? help doesn't have any information on them.
    Saturday, May 05, 2012 11:06 PM
  • Yes, it also works with Windows 7.

When you type msiexec /? it will open another small window of Windows Installer. See screenshot below.

Val Ramirez

Saturday, May 12, 2012 7:03 PM
  • I may be missing this but....

as others have suggested, where there is no MSIServer folder, no WOW64 file and there is no option of copying from another windows machine, how can we fix this issue?

I am currently running windows vista hp and I can't install anything

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 7:34 PM
  • I fixed this issue (windows installer could not be accessed) on a 64 bits XP by doing the followings :

Regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer
    Check that the ImagePath key is "C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe /V"

In execute mode : %windir%\Syswow64\Msiexec /unregister
    and : %windir%\Syswow64\Msiexec /regserver
    and : msiexec /unregister
    and : msiexec /regserver

Restart the Windows Installer service and check it's in automatic.That would be working ^^

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:49 AM
  • That fixed it for me too! :)

Well, bully for you.  Might fix it for me too if I knew what the hell you are talking about.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:39 AM
  • wowowowoowowowow.

THANKS

Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:32 AM
  • Linda your a savior I have been struggling with no positive gains or headway in my fight too wrestle back my computors ability too install or uninstall anything including updates for more thasn a month now.  I followed you instruction too the T and I am now installing and uninstlling again, the first part of your solution - keying in msiexec /unregister and then keying in msiexec /regserver and then restarting and after booting in safe mode I did what you said running the System File Checker Service thru Command Prompt, since I have no disc's too do recovers with.  I would like too just add a brief note here and after wrestling with this seemingly un-fixable problem for weeks on end and always getting that dame error box telling me my Windows Installer was inaccessable, the trick that I believe turned the tide was running all these commands in safe mode, I am a true screw-up always trying too take a short cut when it comes too this stuff, but I am a beleiver now, thaznks again Linda, and good luck too everyone else with this issue - SAFE MODE
    Monday, April 28, 2014 5:23 AM