none
Sound in 3g2/3gpp2 in Windows 7

Question

• I saw the previous post with regard to 3g2 in Windows 7 but nothing has worked. I have tried VLC player, QT-Lite, Quicktime Alternative, K-Lite codecs pack, ffdshow and nothing has worked. The video plays flawlessly, but there is no sound. 

Can anyone help?
    Monday, October 12, 2009 10:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Windows 7 supports 3g2 file. However, while we can play some of these files, most mobile phone video cameras produce files that contain ACELP or AMT audio and H.263 video which Windows 7 does not play.

Please check how the files are encoded.

You can also try the following steps:

Configure the sound card

=======================

1. Click the Start Button, type "MMSYS.CPL" (withour quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. On Playback tab, click the Speaker which is used currently and click Properties button.

3. Switch to Advanced tab, uncheck the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" option.

4. If the Enhancements tab is available, click it. Check 'Disable all sound effects".

5. In Setting section, Select None.

6. Click Apply and click OK.

If the issue persists, you can try the Windows 7 codec package

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, October 16, 2009 8:57 AM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows 7 supports 3g2 file. However, while we can play some of these files, most mobile phone video cameras produce files that contain ACELP or AMT audio and H.263 video which Windows 7 does not play.

Please check how the files are encoded.

You can also try the following steps:

Configure the sound card

=======================

1. Click the Start Button, type "MMSYS.CPL" (withour quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.

2. On Playback tab, click the Speaker which is used currently and click Properties button.

3. Switch to Advanced tab, uncheck the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" option.

4. If the Enhancements tab is available, click it. Check 'Disable all sound effects".

5. In Setting section, Select None.

6. Click Apply and click OK.

If the issue persists, you can try the Windows 7 codec package

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, October 16, 2009 8:57 AM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:00 AM
  • How come I can play a video file in *.3g2 format with its audio component in WMP11 in WinXP but in WMP12 in Win7 I can play the video only without the audio component.  I tried to install several third-party codecs without any luck.  The 3g2 was recorded on a Treo Palm phone.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:10 AM