none
Programs Missing in Control Panel

Question

• Working on a Lenovo laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate including all updates.  In Control Panel/ Programs / Programs and Features / Uninstall or change a program.  I am missing many of my programs in the programs list.  In fact I have 8 programs showing and I have better then 20 or 25 installed. I have tried sorting many different ways.  I have tried restarting the computer.  I keep coming up with the same 8 programs.  The progams seem to be functioning correctly, I am wondering why I am missing the programs in the programs list.

Help is needed.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems that the programs are not associated with registry. Did you perform any reg clean before this issue happening? If so, try a system restore first.

In addition, how these programs were installed? Are they appearing in C:\Program Files folder? This issue also happens if you install programs in non-system directories.
    If these programs are not associated with registry, you may need to reinstall them.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:58 AM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 4:55 AM

All replies

• If you explore HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall in the registry, do you find the programs you expect to see in the "Change or remove a program" applet?

If you change the view for the applet to "List", do you see what you expect?
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:17 AM
  • Which programs exactly are missing in the list?

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 2:00 PM
  • In registry under this key all I am seeing are the programs that are listed in Uninstall and Change. 
    When I change the view to List I am seeing the same programs
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:40 PM
  • So, Windows is showing you everything it knows about.

Can you respond to André's inquiry?
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Another idea would be: If you by any chance restored your system to a previous state where only 8 programs were registered, all later installations will not appear in the list. In this case, to have them reappear, you either need a later restore point (or backup), or you must reinstall the missing programs.
    "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” (Thomas J. Watson, Sr.)
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:27 PM
  • I am not sure I can remember all of them.   There are 20 or 30 missing
    Windows 7
    All Windows Updates
    Adobe
    Reader
    Shockwave
    Flash
    IE 8
    FireFox
    Microsoft Office 2007
    Silverlight
    Mobilink
    Lenovo Web Cam
    Pandora
    ooVoo  Web Conferencing

That is the bulk of them

These are the programs I am seeing:

Sophos Anti Virus Update
    Sophos Anti virus
    Google Chrome
    Iprism Reports
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    HyperCam 2
    HyperCam Toolbar
    Iprism Configuration

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:27 PM
  • Do any of the missing apps have uninstall icons in the Programs menu?  Any chance you can try launching one of them to see what happens (cancel out of the uninstallation, unless you really do want to uninstall the app)?

Alternatively, what happens if you try to reinstall e.g. Firefox, using the downloaded installation package?
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:55 PM
  • I did not do a system restore on this laptop
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:12 AM
  • I reinstalled Firefox and the install completed successfully, now the icon appears in the Uninstall or Change a Program list.   Firefox was and still is working before doing the reinstall. 
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:17 PM
  • That's strange... Have you thought about trying the "Uninstall by icon" technique a try, to see what happens?

If you log on with a different user, do you see the items you expect to see in the list?  What about if you boot into safe mode?

Is anything logged in the event logs (Event Viewer) when you bring up Uninstall or change a program?
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:03 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that the programs are not associated with registry. Did you perform any reg clean before this issue happening? If so, try a system restore first.

In addition, how these programs were installed? Are they appearing in C:\Program Files folder? This issue also happens if you install programs in non-system directories.
    If these programs are not associated with registry, you may need to reinstall them.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:58 AM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 4:55 AM
  •  I'm also having a similar problem... Please see here..

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/6778109f-b13a-4d01-9304-7a638d3635a7/

Saturday, March 26, 2011 4:50 AM