none
help installing windows xp onto a sata hard drive

Question

• Hi there,

if anyone can help me that would be great!
    I have just upgraded my pc with a new asus motherboard, new graphics card, new memory and a SATA hard drive. I have an old copy of windows xp and as i try to install it onto the sata drive i get the dreaded blue screen I have checked into this and know that I need a sata driver to install to help windows recognise the drive, the only problem is I can't seem to get the right driver. I have checked the support disk that came with the motherboard but this doesn't have any drivers on it for the sata and it doesn't have a makedisc file. I have been on the asus website and there is no driver for it there. i emailed asus who say it doesn't need a driver when it clearly does!! Grrr. I have been onto the Maxtor website to down load their drivers but they don't work. I have tried some drivers on the Pentium website and still no good and i even found an old motherboard cd for my old asus board and used all the drivers off that too but still no luck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to a driver? Would windows have a suitable driver cause I can't find one on their site either?
    I also still have the floppy drive installed. 

Please help 

Friday, June 19, 2009 7:36 PM

Answers

• Check with the Motherboard manual and installation disc.  They should provide the necessary drivers and setup files (on to a floppy) for a pre-installation of drivers for the HDD.  As soon as the XP setup begins you'll have to press F6 to load up the 3rd party drivers.
    GA P35 DQ6 Mb, Intel Wolfdale 8600 3.33Ghz C2D CPU., 4x2Gb Mushkin DDR2 1066 PC2 8500 Ascents Memory Mods., PNY-nVidia GE Force 8800 GTS (640MB), 4-Western Digital Caviar SATA(2) HDD's (internal), 1 EIDE-USB External; Hauppauge PVR 1600 TV tuner, Dual Monitor: (1) Standard up top, (1) WideScreen below; Altec Lansing Speakers. Here Kitty, Kitty...that's my Kitty Kat, he's a Kat, because he is kat...kat.
    Friday, June 19, 2009 10:05 PM

All replies

• Check with the Motherboard manual and installation disc.  They should provide the necessary drivers and setup files (on to a floppy) for a pre-installation of drivers for the HDD.  As soon as the XP setup begins you'll have to press F6 to load up the 3rd party drivers.
    GA P35 DQ6 Mb, Intel Wolfdale 8600 3.33Ghz C2D CPU., 4x2Gb Mushkin DDR2 1066 PC2 8500 Ascents Memory Mods., PNY-nVidia GE Force 8800 GTS (640MB), 4-Western Digital Caviar SATA(2) HDD's (internal), 1 EIDE-USB External; Hauppauge PVR 1600 TV tuner, Dual Monitor: (1) Standard up top, (1) WideScreen below; Altec Lansing Speakers. Here Kitty, Kitty...that's my Kitty Kat, he's a Kat, because he is kat...kat.
    Friday, June 19, 2009 10:05 PM
  • Hi, Gwesty

I had this issue with a new ASUS P5Q board and found it to be caused by the SATA configuration set to AHCI.
    Set the SATA Confid to: IDE and this should fix issue and when XP is installed U can always got back and change this IF U want (install drives first)
    I pefer the IDE setting and be sure to activate the 32 bit HD access (if offered)
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 7:08 PM
  • Hi there and thanks for getting back. I'm still having no luck.

DavidLeeDavis123, I have checked the motherboard support cd and there is no drivers on it for SATA. I emailed ASUS and they have told me that I don't need any drivers!! But I must do cause thats the messages I keep getting?

Siggi Jons, thanks for the response. I have looked into the bios and where I have the Storage Configuration I have three options.

1.S-ata only
    2.P-ata + S-ata
    3.P-ata only

Which should i use? I have tried P-ata only but when I use this setting the sata drive disapears completely!

I have found some more drivers and when i try to use them on the f6  part of the install i keep getting these error messages:

File\winxp\viasraid.sys  caused an unexpected error (18) at 2108 in d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c

and sometimes this one:

File\winxp\viasraid.sys could not be loaded. The error code is 18.

please any help would be amazing?

I think I just need a silicon driver from windows to get it going but know one knows where.
    Sunday, August 02, 2009 10:13 AM
  • I had a similar experience several years ago when I tried to build my husband a new custom with XP Pro on it. I got him a terrabyte SATA drive and a Gigabit Motherboard. I already knew that I would need to install the RAID drivers from a floppy in order for my [pre-service pack 2] copy of windows XP Pro to install to the SATA, but the Gigabit Motherboard drivers DVD did not include driver details into folders that could be copied to a floppy. Instead, it was only an executable that was too large to be installed onto a floppy disk. Gigabit basically hamstringed any attempt to use their Motherboard in conjunction with Sata drives and Windows XP. Windows XP was already handicapped by the fact that it will ONLY install Raid drivers from an internal Floppy and no other media (USB floppy will NOT suffice), unless you are using an installation disk that already includes SP3.

Cursing Microsoft and Gigabit quite loudly, I broke down and purchased Windows 7 and installed it to my husbands new custom machine. This resulted in a machine that ended up being a downgrade to the machine he had given up. Why? Because Windows 7 runs better with at least 4GB of RAM and now he had only 2 GB of RAM. We were never able to upgrade the RAM because we spend a lot of time replacing parts like the Power Supply, the Video Card and the Optical Drives. He had nothing but problems with it for the entire 3 years he had it, and last month it finally died. I truly believe that if I had been able to install Windows XP to that machine like I originally planned, it would have been a machine to out-perform and outlast the one I am currently using. I am currently using Windows XP with an AMD 64 (single core) athlon CPU, 2 GB of RAM and an ABIT (my fav brand) Motherboard. My current system is over 10 years old and still running strong.I dread the day I ever have to reinstall XP to this computer, because the Floppy drive died and it's nearly impossible to find internal floppy drives anymore, and yes, I use SATA drives in my system. I love XP, and I am not attracted to Windows 7 at all! I hate that I feel forced to upgrade to an OS that is full of problems and uses a different GUI language just because it's flashier and prettier.

I'm so sick of everyone who works with Microsoft trying to ensure their own profits with proprietary tactics and it's the primary reason people leave Microsoft products and go to Mac or Linux. Microsoft, Asus and Gigabit (to name a few) need to start finding a measure of conformity so us do-it-ourselfers don't feel like we've been sabotaged and slapped in the face!

Friday, December 14, 2012 9:51 PM