none
Syncing PDA's with Windows 7 Pro

Question

• Hello....I have three PDA's, a Mio P550, an Dell Axum X30 and an Acer N300.  They all work just fine with Windows XP via Active Sync - plug in the USB cable and they just start syncing with Outlook and files.  I have just built a new Windows 7 PC and installed Mobile Device Center.  All of these PDA's, attached using a USB connection, show "Not Connected" in the Mobile Device Center.  I have tried several settings on the "Mobile Device Settings" without success. 

It would, however, appear that Windows 7 is seeing something as when I attach, via USB, each of these PDA's I see the following in the "Printers and Devices" page:
    1) for the Axim X30 (OS Window Mobile 2003 2nd Edition), it shows up as an "Unidentified device"
    2) for the Acer N300 (OS Windoes Mobile 5 (OS 5.1.195 Build 14292.2.2.1)), it shows up as a "Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter"
    3) and finally for our Mia P550 DigiWalker PDA/GPS (OS Windoes Mobile 5 (OS 5.1.195 Build 14292.2.2.1)),  it shows up as "Generic RNDIS"

Again, none of them show connected in the Mobile Device Center.

Any help out there?.....RDK

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:40 PM

Answers

• Hallelujah, woopie, .....Yes, I have gotten all of the PDA's to connect and sync with Windows 7.

How?  That's a very good question and the answer is not crystal clear, but here goes:

• coincidently with this problem, Windows 7 was complaining about some incompatibilities with Nero 8.  So as a good husband, I went out and got an upgrade to Nero 9 and at the same time they offered "Move it" as $12 extra.  "Move It" is an app which is supposed to allow one to connect to phones, music players, and other devices to transfer music, etc.  For $12 I got it also.
    • today I installed Nero 9 and "Move it".
    • "Move it" did not connect or see any of our phones or PDA's
    • but while trying with it, all of a sudden Windows 7 recognized the USB connection from the Acer to the PC.  Mobile Device Center fired up and asked for the PDA password, and it was connected and ready to sync!!
    • Obstanently, Bluetooth still did not work??
    • I tried the Dell Axim with the USB, and it worked like the Acer above.  Bluetooth did not work
    • Note, I had previously tried these units with both USB and Bluetooth without any signs of success.

So was it the Nero app, a change in the phase of the moon or an update from Microsoft?  I don't know!

Afterwards, I also downloaded the VISTA version of the phone sync app from Samsung.  Installed it and Windows 7 now sees my phone.  "Move it" did not.

So, now basically happy with this Window 7 installation and will soon start converting my desktop PC.  Wish me luck.....RDK2

Monday, March 22, 2010 5:17 PM

All replies

• Just a thought, go Settings -> Connection -> USB to PC make sure Active sync is selected rather then disk transfer
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:45 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to update the Chipset driver for your Win7 PC?

Your PDAs are not recongized correctly by your Win7 PC, it's better to update the CHipset driver first, then test your PDA one by one.

If they are still not recongized correctly, you'd better to remove the USB controllers, you can refer to the following steps:

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically. Then connect your PDA to your machine, and test again.

Good luck!
    John
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:12 AM
  • Thanks folks for the ideas.  One of the first things I did with this problem was make sure my motherboard, etc was fully updated, so that one is off the table.

Tomorrow I will try the USB fixes that both of you suggested. 

Here's hoping that one of them works......RDK
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:38 PM
  • It's better to turn off your Anti-virus program and firewall when you sync your PDA with your machine.

Good luck!

John
    Friday, March 12, 2010 2:06 AM
  • MB76...I don't understand your suggestion.  Where do I find this "Settings" starting point?  I looked in the Control Panel, etc and did not see it.

Thanks.....RDK
    Friday, March 12, 2010 4:24 PM
  • Folks...OK, I have tried a couple of your ideas and I have discovered that I can not read my own handwritting ( :-(  ), so part of my original post is incorrect.  I have corrected that and updated as per the suggextions:

1) for the Axim X30 (OS Window Mobile 2003 2nd Edition),
     it shows up in the "Printers and Devices" as an "unspecified Device" / "Dell Axim USB Sync"
     AND  in the "Device Manager" under "Mobile Devices" as a  "Dell Axim USB Sync"

2) for the Acer N300 (OS Windows Mobile 5 (OS 5.1.195 Build 14292.2.2.1)),
     it shows up in the "Printers and Devices" as a "Generic RNDIS"
     AND in the "Device Manager" as a "Network Adapter" identified as "Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter"
     AND on the PDA, Acrive Sync shows Connected.

3) and finally for our Mia P550 DigiWalker PDA/GPS (OS Windows Mobile 5 (OS 5.1.195 Build 14292.2.2.1)), 
     it shows up in the "Printers and Devices" as a "Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter #2"
     AND in the "Device Manager" as a "Network Adapter" identified as "Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter #2"
     AND on the PDA it complained about needed ActiveSync 4.1 or higher on the PC

None of the devices has ever shown "Connected"  for the Mobile Device Manger in Windows 7

Removing and reinatalling the USB devices/drivers via the Device Manager and rebooting had no effect

Any more ideas?......RDK

Friday, March 12, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Folks.....Some progress and some road blocks.  Just a note, none of my devices are phones, all are PDA's.

Having read that some other folks with my problem were able to get connected with BuleTooth I got a USB BlueTooth dongle device.

Yesterday I was able to connect and sync successfully with the Mio P550 (PDA/GPS)(OS Windows Mobile 5 (OS 5.1.195 Build 14292.2.2.1)).  I removed all (that I could see) evidence of previous connections with any of the three PDA's, I uninstalled the Moble Device Center, rebooted and reinstalled it again directly from the MS site. I attached the BlueTooth dongle to the PC which it installed and then rebooted again.

I fired up the MIO P550 and, now things get fuzzy, I fiddled with the MIO BlueTooth menues until I saw the device in the Add Device sub-window of the Devices and Printers page on my Windows 7 PC (I believe it asked for an exchange of codes before it connected??).  I selected it, clicked next and it installed the device and somewhere along in here it asked for the device password and the Mobile Device Center activated.  After that it showed "Connected" in the Mobile Device Center and the sync menus became available.  The unit then synced just fine.  The unit also showed up in the "My Computer" list of storage disks and devices so I could drag and drop files.

I shut the PDA BlueTooth transmitter down and re-attached the Mio via the USB cable and that also now worked - go figure!!!

So much for the good news.  I tried the other two units.  As before, I could get them to show in the Devices and Printers page, but they never successfully connected with the Mobile Device Center.  As the ACER N300 has the same version of Windows Mobile as the above Mio I was hopeful that it would also now connect - no luck.  Neither of these units show up in the "My Computer" listing of disks and storage devices .

Thus it does appear that some type of "driver" file/interfacing information is missing and  will be required to get these two units working with the Mobile Device Center and syncing.  Or prehaps something else???

I attached the Acer N300 to my wife's Vista laptop using the USB (it does not have BlueTooth) and it connected fine and allowed me to see the units memory and SD card in the "My Computer" page.  That laptop does not have Outlook so it did not offer the ability to sync information.

Any good ideas???.....RDK
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 6:06 AM
  • I am glad to hear the Mio P550 PDA works fine with your Win7 now, so we can conclude your trouble are more related to the drivers, or settings.

Now. let's focus on the Acer N300 PDA first, it's better to uninstall it from the Device Manager, you can go to 'Device Manager' from Control Panel,  then update it's driver using the driver, please refer to the following steps:

Right click the Acer N300 PDA, choose Uninstall, then click OK. After that, please disconnect the PDA, and reconnect it, then browse to it in the Device Manager, then right cilck it, and choose "Update Driver Software", then click "Browse My Computer for Driver Software" button, and browse to the folder which is stored the downloaded driver. At last, check if the PAD is recongized successfully. 

In addition, you can try to connect your PDA via the bluetooth, you can try this method to udpate your bluetooth driver.

1. Turn on Bluetooth on both PDA and your BlueTooth dongle.
    2. In the Device Manager, you'll see 'Bluetooth Peripheral Device' under 'Other device,
    3. Right-Click it and click on "Update Driver Software" -Or- anyway you find it easy to bring up the Update driver window.
    4. Click "Browse My Computer for Driver Software" button.
    5. Click "Let Me Pick from a List of Device Drivers on my computer".
    6.  Select 'Bluetooth Radio' from the list if it asked you to select and then in the next window, it will show a list of drivers with Company Names in one list and Drivers in another. In the Company List choose 'Microsoft Corporation', not only Microsoft.

Note: From the drivers list there may be one or more drivers with the name "Windows Mobile-Based Device Support" with different driver versions. Select one or the latest.

-7.  Ignore any warnings and keep pressing next and then Finish at last. If all goes well, the last screen will show the message that device driver is successfully installed. Click 'YES' in the box.

Now, after manually updating the driver for your bluetooth device, in 'Device Manager' when you click on 'Bluetooth Radios', it should display one more item which will say 'Windows Mobile-based device support'.

After that, please try to connect your PDA via the Bluetooth once again.

Good luck! 

John
    ----------------------------------
     If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 6:27 AM
  • John....Thanks for the ideas.  I have a questioin, however.  You said:

"Right click the Acer N300 PDA, choose Uninstall, then click OK. After that, please disconnect the PDA, and reconnect it, then browse to it in the Device Manager, then right cilck it, and choose "Update Driver Software", then click "Browse My Computer for Driver Software" button, and browse to the folder which is stored the downloaded driver. At last, check if the PAD is recongized successfully. "

I assume you are talking about a driver for the ACER?  Where will I find that driver?  I have the original disks for XP and I have access to my wife's VISTA laptop.

Thanks again for your comments.......RDK
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:10 AM
  • Yes, I want you to update the driver for your Acer PDA, you can get the driver after double click the USB Device Driver.  When you udpate the driver, you should extract it first, then use my suggestion to update the driver.

In addition, you can try the suggestions for connecting via the Bluetooth.

Good luck!

John
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:50 AM
  • John.....First I wish to applogize, I did not notice that the word Driver was hyperlinked to the Acer Driver site in your original note.

I attached the Acer N300 and it immediately shows up in the "Printers and Devices" as a "Generic RNDIS"
     AND in the "Device Manager" as a "Network Adapter" identified as "Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter".  From the "Device manager" I uninstalled this item. Then I un-attached (USB) the device and re-attached it. 

It immediately shows up again as above.  From the "Device Manager" I right clicked it, selected Update Device Driver, pointed it to extracted ACER driver files.  It came back with a message something like " the current dirver is up-to-date.

Any other ideas?

I will try the Bluetooth experiments tomorrow evening.....RDK
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:30 PM
  • John....I just finished trying to follow your Bluetooth procedure.  However, what I see in the Win 7 Device Manager and what you said I would see seem to be two very different things.  I have screen shots of both the Devices and Printer page and the Device Manager page when the device is connected but am not sure how to attach them to this note.

When I get the ACER PDA attached, I see two new elements in the Device Manager under Ports (Com & LPT) 
    > Standard Serial Port over Bluetooth (Com 3)
    > Standard Serial Port over Bluetooth (Com 4)

Regardless of whether or not it is attached I see these Bluetooth related entries
    Under Bluetooth Radios:
    >CRS Bluetooth Radio
    >Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator
    Under Network Adapters:
    >Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Networks) #2
    >Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) #2

In order to get the PDA added to the Devices and Printers page I had to fiddle with the PDA Bluetooth settings (in French as this PDA was purchased in France).  I then asked me to enter a passcode into the PDA so it would connect.   At no time during any of these experiments did the Mobile Device Manager become active or did the unit show up under the "Computer" entry in the file explorer.

Can you please clarify your instructions given what I'm seeing?  Thanks for your help and patience....RDK

Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Folks....And I continue to try....

Today I updated the firmware on the Acer device.  That part went fine and now I have a unit with newer firmware (March 2007) which speaks English, making using the menus easier, but not more successful.

Basically it acts and looks the same as before when I connect using Bluetooth.  I can find the device in the Devices and Printers / add Device page.  Selecting it and then "next" results in it loading some drivers (I do not have the opportunity to edit, change or select) and then adds a new "Annes_PDA" icon to the Devices and Printers page. 

The  "right-click" options that I recall now were:
    >Connection (choices are Direct Connection and Ad Hoc Network - What are they and what do they do??),
    >Properties (for Services-the only service listed is a Serial Port related service),
    >Troubleshooting
    >and Disconnect/Remove (or something like that). 

Selecting either of the connections options requires entry of a passcode on the PDA, but does not seem to have any effect, ie Mobile Device Center or item under Computers in the File Explorer page.  None of the options will allow me to update the device drivers.

The Bluetooth manager on the PDA sees the Window 7 PC when I establish either one of the above "Connections".  For ActiveSync on the PDA I have selected Bluetooth.

I also went through the Device Manager and tried to update the drivers associated with all the Bluetooth entries.  It said they were all at the correct level.

With the new firmware I did find the "USB to PC" item in the PDA's Connection menu.  The only option was something about "using enhanced network connection techniques". I left it unchecked as my experiments today were only with Bluetooth.

Any ideas??....RDK

Saturday, March 20, 2010 3:45 PM
  • Hallelujah, woopie, .....Yes, I have gotten all of the PDA's to connect and sync with Windows 7.

How?  That's a very good question and the answer is not crystal clear, but here goes:

• coincidently with this problem, Windows 7 was complaining about some incompatibilities with Nero 8.  So as a good husband, I went out and got an upgrade to Nero 9 and at the same time they offered "Move it" as $12 extra.  "Move It" is an app which is supposed to allow one to connect to phones, music players, and other devices to transfer music, etc.  For $12 I got it also.
    • today I installed Nero 9 and "Move it".
    • "Move it" did not connect or see any of our phones or PDA's
    • but while trying with it, all of a sudden Windows 7 recognized the USB connection from the Acer to the PC.  Mobile Device Center fired up and asked for the PDA password, and it was connected and ready to sync!!
    • Obstanently, Bluetooth still did not work??
    • I tried the Dell Axim with the USB, and it worked like the Acer above.  Bluetooth did not work
    • Note, I had previously tried these units with both USB and Bluetooth without any signs of success.

So was it the Nero app, a change in the phase of the moon or an update from Microsoft?  I don't know!

Afterwards, I also downloaded the VISTA version of the phone sync app from Samsung.  Installed it and Windows 7 now sees my phone.  "Move it" did not.

So, now basically happy with this Window 7 installation and will soon start converting my desktop PC.  Wish me luck.....RDK2

Monday, March 22, 2010 5:17 PM