none
Upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8?

Question

• I wish to upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate x64 to Windows 8 in the future. Which Windows 8 version allows this "in place" upgrade?

Thanks.

Thomas.

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:12 PM

Answers

• Looks like Windows 8 Pro. Take a look here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj203353

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Proposed as answer by Frank Trout Saturday, August 18, 2012 2:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Thomas M.T. _ Sunday, August 19, 2012 7:56 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 8:19 PM

All replies

• Looks like Windows 8 Pro. Take a look here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj203353

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Proposed as answer by Frank Trout Saturday, August 18, 2012 2:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Thomas M.T. _ Sunday, August 19, 2012 7:56 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 8:19 PM
  • That's correct, Windows 7 Ultimate upgrades to Windows 8 Professional.

--Joseph [MSFT] http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/

Friday, August 17, 2012 8:51 PM
  • So Win 7 Ultimate to the 90 day Win 8 rtm trial is out of the question ?? 
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 1:48 AM
  • I could see the reasoning in not being able to upgrade Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Enterprise. Since Win 7 Ultimate and Win 7 Enterprise were identical, and Windows 7 Enterprise was considered the "business" version of Windows 7 Ultimate, Microsoft doesn't see a reason to have an upgrade path for both. I can't say I totally agree with it, but that's the best I can do in making it logical. As for worrying about upgrading to a 90 day version, what's the difference if you have to back your files and lose your apps anyway after 90 days when the trial ends.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 2:00 AM
  • While the editions were similar,  Win7 Ent and Win7 Ult were not the same in terms of licensing.  There was a Win7 Business that came in both VL and retail channels.

--Joseph [MSFT] http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/

Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:49 AM
  • very true just being anxious lol reason being for wanting the upgrade option  I can always revert back to bought state with my Gateway recovery I would lose that option with a clean install. Unless I ghost the machine. Save for some books marks I would care about reverting back to a Win 7 form. I did however upgrade to Win 8 Pro but found out quick not satisfied with not being able to tweak anything as activation is simply unavailable for the 9200 version in my attempts thus far  and the Your Apps ( history ) of app installs semms to be god dam screwy(even since the consumer and retail previews)the apps I have installed are either there some times in Sotre or in Hisoty install and some times they are not depending on the OS I installed or version!  Pisses me off to no end!!  Hope they fix that cause If and when Peeps start paying for apps and installing them and find them selves having to re-install their OS for whatever reason and go to the Metro /Win 8 Sotre and find the Your Apps - and don't see the app they have enjoyed /Paid for in their history of installs or even in the main store your gonna see alot of pissed off consumers!! ..Just saying !
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 5:24 AM
  • Where did you get the PRO? I have a Technet Subscription for doing those tests but I can download any version but the PRO... Maybe because they provide the VL verion? Wondering if there will be a "retail" PRO version on Technet/MSDN shortly...

Thomas.

Sunday, August 19, 2012 7:58 AM