none
Unable to shutdown!

Question

• I am unable to shutdown Vista. When it begins to shutdown it stops at "Shutting down", then stays there idle. The HDD light stays off, everything looks like the computer is doing nothing.  I end up having to hold my PC's power button, then have my boot screen saying that Windows did not shutdown successfully.

What should I do to make Windows Vista shutdown properly?  Please help!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 3:08 AM

All replies

• RoseTech,

I have also had the same issues at time it reappeared with the 5600 build and has since went away.. on the newest build... Also what MB do you have it seems the problem is more prevalent on Asus MB.

Chris S.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:36 PM
  • Ok, I have found out that its my antivirus program - Trend Micro PC-cillin for Windows Vista. The best way I could find is to (before shutting down) disable my internet, turn off pc-cillin, then shut down. Then, when I reboot, I do the reverse. Does anyone have any other ways of getting around this problem?

P.S. My PC is a notebook. It has a DELL Mainboard.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 1:14 AM
  • RoseTech,

I think you are right I will have to give that a try mine alos came back. I didn't even think about it but you are right after installng PC-cillin is when the problem arose... I will have to give it a shot tonight.....

Chris...

On another thought I finally got Vista to install on my Raid Array w/ 2 40GB hdd's at 10k and there is a noticiable difference with Vista much faster and smoother than with just one HDD.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 12:47 PM
  • yes absolutely you are right .. its problem with anti virus .. use compitable anti virus its best ....
    Wednesday, February 07, 2007 3:30 PM
  • I'm using MS One Care - still doesn't shutdown
    Monday, February 26, 2007 4:43 AM
  • I have an external drive connected. Windows Vista stays hanging on shut down. When I remove the drive before shutdown, it does shutdown right. Right now, trying to find a possible fix to this, not having to stop the external drive, so that I can shut down properly.

Friday, August 17, 2007 7:16 PM
  • i have this same problem. I do not have anything antivirus, only and 2gb thumbdrive whitch i use for ready boost, could that be the problem?

Saturday, August 16, 2008 3:49 PM
  • External devices connected to the laptop or a deskto may be a conflict of shutting down of the computer.

Tried to reset the power options in control panel and try to shut down the  computer and check.

Regards
    Jalari Venkat Ramesh
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:00 PM
  • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and Set the value of PowerDownAfterShutdown to 1
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:14 PM