none
DNS Server isn't responding

Question

• Hello,I am currently having an issue with 2 computers in the house not connecting to the Internet. When I try to troubleshoot it using Window's troubleshooting service,it gives the error that the DNS server isn't responding. I have searched other forums and found this topic and have tried their suggestions,such as renewing,releasing,flushdns with ipconfig,manually setting the DNS to OpenDNS. On one of the computers not working,as it is my laptop,I have tried reinstalling the wireless driver,restoring from a system images and have still had issues. My laptop connects wirelessly to a router(Linksys),which is connected to another router(Belkin) connected to the modem. That router(Belkin) is also connected to the other computer which is having issues connecting to the Internet. Any insight/help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time
    • Edited by Gotham343 Friday, January 04, 2013 6:28 AM
    Friday, January 04, 2013 6:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• By deafault you router will serve as DHCP server, now you want configure DNS. Check to your internet service provider coz you cannot access as long as your account does not autheniticated. The service provider have thier own DNS server that handles client accessing the internet.

Hope it will help you.

Antonio Jr

Friday, January 04, 2013 7:50 AM
  • Thank you for your response antonio-jr, but that was not the issue as the ISP said everything was clear on their end, everything should be connecting fine, etc.

In fact, the issue was, I am guessing, the 2 routers we have were conflicting in some way. After unplugging one from the other, the internet connection was working perfectly fine across all devices. I do not know why this happened as the router has been plugged into the other for a few weeks at least and there were no issues before.

Saturday, January 05, 2013 5:45 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried these commands to register DNS?

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

Temporally disable firewall and security software to check the result.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 07, 2013 7:16 AM
  • By deafault you router will serve as DHCP server, now you want configure DNS. Check to your internet service provider coz you cannot access as long as your account does not autheniticated. The service provider have thier own DNS server that handles client accessing the internet.

Hope it will help you.

Antonio Jr

SHABU pa tim.. Maypay mag dayuk ka!
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:45 AM
  • i had a similar issue in that my windows 7 machines connected, but my windows 8 laptop didn't. (it connected to the router but not the internet.) DNS Server isn't responding, it said. I had two routers connected to each other. I disconnected the secondary one and restarted the modem and primary router. Then the connections worked. (all Wireless)
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:55 AM