none
Unattended install (WDS) asks for image/does not wipe disk

Question

• Using RC1 and Oct 4 BDD kit. I have a wdsclientunattend.xml working with the exception of still prompting me for the image and it shows the single partition of the disk. I have to delete the partition and then let it install. I need it to automatically pick the ultimate image and create 1 partition, wipe it and then install with no input from me.
    Thursday, October 05, 2006 9:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

http://blogs.technet.com/mkleef/pages/WAIK-Script-for-BitLocker-Deployments.aspx

I have used the above script and modify the InstallImage field, but the unattended script did not partition the disk as expected.

WDS still prompts at "Where do you want to install Windows?" and I have to manually delete partition using drive options to create 2 separate partitions.

I am using Windows System Image Manager (6.0.5600.16384). Anyone manage to partition disk using unattended script successfully and share your xml file?

Friday, November 17, 2006 1:53 AM
  • Don't use InstallToAvailablePartition if you also use create/modify partitions. Both are exclusive and if InstallToAvailablePartition is true setup skips the create/modify section. Another thing that passes fine in WSIM error checking but fails silent during setup.
    Friday, November 17, 2006 5:55 PM
  • The only way I found to get around this was to attach the unattend answer file to the architecture, i.e., x86, on the Client tab of the WDS Server Properities via Windows Deployment Services MMC.  Once I attached it there, my partitions work.  If I try it using an answer file attacted to the image to change disk configuration, no partitioning works at all.  I'm pretty sure it has to do with when the two types of answer files are applied during the whole image process, but I haven't been able to find a straight answer on that.

Bottom Line:  I have two answer files.  One attached to the architecture solely for disk configuration.  One attacted to the images for the Windows Setup answers & other info.

Anyway, here's what my architecture answer file looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
        <settings pass="windowsPE">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <DiskConfiguration>
                    <Disk>
                        <ModifyPartitions>
                            <ModifyPartition wcm:action="modify">
                                <Active>true</Active>
                                <Extend>true</Extend>
                                <Format>NTFS</Format>
                                <Label>WM_Install</Label>
                                <Letter>C</Letter>
                                <Order>1</Order>
                                <PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
                            </ModifyPartition>
                        </ModifyPartitions>
                        <DiskID>0</DiskID>
                        <WillWipeDisk>true</WillWipeDisk>
                        <CreatePartitions>
                            <CreatePartition wcm:action="add">
                                <Order>1</Order>
                                <Size>30000</Size>
                                <Type>Primary</Type>
                            </CreatePartition>
                        </CreatePartitions>
                    </Disk>
                    <WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
                </DiskConfiguration>
                <WindowsDeploymentServices>
                    <ImageSelection>
                        <InstallTo>
                            <DiskID>0</DiskID>
                            <PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
                        </InstallTo>
                    </ImageSelection>
                </WindowsDeploymentServices>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <SetupUILanguage>
                    <UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
                </SetupUILanguage>
                <InputLocale>0409:00000409</InputLocale>
                <SystemLocale>en-US</SystemLocale>
                <UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
                <UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim://virgo/reminst/tmp/install.wim#Windows Vista ULTIMATE" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

Hope this helps.
    Monday, November 20, 2006 10:11 PM
  • That went well, by using 2 unattended answer file. But it does impose limitations when booting into WDS, that is it will wipe the data before selecting the image to install, not quite exactly what I had in mind.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 12:07 AM
  • You are right. In WDS you have to use 2 answer files. One for the WDS client and one for your Image.
    In the first one you can wipe/create partitions on your disk and it has to be attached to an architecture (x86) in WDS to make it work. The second one is attached to an image.

This is not a very good solution from Microsoft. Because now all images use the same first answer file for disk config. and you can use different ones for lets say a PC or a server.

Sunday, November 26, 2006 10:02 AM