none
Windows update Microsoft - Audio, Communication Device, Streaming Media and Broadcast - Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000

Question

• Tried to install this on Win7 64 using windows update. The update failed "unexpected error" and left the cam inoperable. Downloadewd the full package and that fails also. Had to do a restore to get it going again. Curiously System restore lists the webcam update as " Installed DirectX" (I know it's that one as it's listed twice just a few minutes appart - one for the windows update install and one for the full package)
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:18 AM

Answers

• Hi, I suggest you first install the latest driver for your Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000 on the MS site. You can download LifeCam 3.0 32-bit and 64-bit for Windows 7 from MS.

If you can install the latest driver and the driver upgrade is still offered via WU, you can hide the driver upgrade:

How to hide an update

-------------------------------

1. Open Windows Update and click "View available updates."

2. Select the Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000 item and right click it.

3. Select "Hide update" from the context menu.

If it still cannot install, you can try removing the previous driver via Device Manager first and install the latest one again.

1. Click the Start Button, type “Device Manager” in the search bar and press Enter. Click Continue if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, find the LifeCam.

3. Right click the LifeCam and click properties.

4. Switch to “driver” tab, Click “uninstall”.

5. After that, please restart computer.

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:03 AM
    Friday, August 14, 2009 10:15 AM

All replies

• Hi, I suggest you first install the latest driver for your Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000 on the MS site. You can download LifeCam 3.0 32-bit and 64-bit for Windows 7 from MS.

If you can install the latest driver and the driver upgrade is still offered via WU, you can hide the driver upgrade:

How to hide an update

-------------------------------

1. Open Windows Update and click "View available updates."

2. Select the Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000 item and right click it.

3. Select "Hide update" from the context menu.

If it still cannot install, you can try removing the previous driver via Device Manager first and install the latest one again.

1. Click the Start Button, type “Device Manager” in the search bar and press Enter. Click Continue if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, find the LifeCam.

3. Right click the LifeCam and click properties.

4. Switch to “driver” tab, Click “uninstall”.

5. After that, please restart computer.

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:03 AM
    Friday, August 14, 2009 10:15 AM
  • Yes, this (I suggest you first install the latest driver for your Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000 on the MS site. You can download LifeCam 3.0 32-bit and 64-bit for Windows 7 from MS.) is the 'full package' I referred to  - this won't install either.
    The older 2.91 version installed and works fine.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 9:01 AM