none
Workaround for CD BOOT ERROR CODE 5

General discussion

• Hi everyone!

For all of you having the error code 5 trying to boot from the DVD, this appears to be an incompatibility of the DVD boot image with some old (not so old sometimes) BIOS.

I have tested the following:

- Burning the ISO image with several burning programs (Nero 7, CDBurnXP, Alcohol 120%)
    - Burning in different machines/DVD writers
    - Burning at different speeds

The workaround I found consists on using a boot manager to "load" a smarter program to emulate BIOS functions, once the program runs, it can load any other bootable media.

The steps to follow are described here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/2591-boot-error-code-5-a-2.html#post31719

Hope this helps people to try this great version of Windows 7. As far as I tested it, this is the greatest version of Windows I have used after Windows XP.

Good luck!

AMD

Monday, February 09, 2009 5:49 AM

All replies

•  

Ah, but did you try different DVD formats?

Is this an older machine?  More specifically, does the machine have an older DVD drive?

On some older DVD drives, DVD-R media can boot fine, but not DVD+R.  For others, the reverse is true.  Whatever type of media you used; try to use the opposite format.

Monday, February 09, 2009 5:54 AM
  • Hi DarienHawk67!

The media was not the problem for me. It was the same media I used to burn Windows Vista DVD Beta. First a DVD-R and after the first "problem" tried burning a DVD+RW. Both of them are the same media & brand I use in the same computer to test OS software (Windows, Linux, Solaris).

But, consider the case that the DVD media was the culprit... in this case, the method described above would not have worked anyway... and it works!

Regards,

AMD

Monday, February 09, 2009 3:10 PM
  • Great Job to AMD..

I have tried all other suggestions since Mid January and finally someone that understood DVD bootable problems. Win 7 Beta is finally loading as a boot image after using your Floppy method.  I would not sugest for the novice but you explained the procedure very well.  Thanks again...*****
    Monday, February 09, 2009 10:25 PM
  •  

Roger that.  Then if you have used the same brand and format for other OS to include earlier versions of Windows, then you are right—the format is not the issue.  Sorry for that suggestion, but I was just trying to cover all bases being that you did not make mention of the other OS installations in the original post.

Good to see that you were able to discover a good workaround for your particular setup.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 4:18 PM