none
Windows Update Language Packs

Question

• Does anyone know why the Windows Update that comes with Vista shows a list of 15 language packs (at least for Ultimate)? It used to be possible to tell Windows Update to ignore certain updates. I'd rather not always see that there are 15 optional language packs for my Vista systems. Is there some way with the new Windows Update to tell it to stop displaying these optional updates?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:59 PM

All replies

• They are there because they are a "Ultimate Extra" that comes if you purchased Vista Ultimate. Mostly i'd assume for multiligual people, who want to be able to switch between languages for whatever reason.

To get rid of them, what you want to do is go into Windows Update.

Click on "View Available Updates"

Right-click on the items you want to remove from the list, and choose “Hide update” from the menu.

That should do it

• Proposed as answer by apoode177 Saturday, April 02, 2011 12:59 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 6:32 AM
  • Thank you very much, C. Don't know how I missed that.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 2:15 PM
  •  C-Kennedy wrote:
    They are there because they are a "Ultimate Extra" that comes if you purchased Vista Ultimate. Mostly i'd assume for multiligual people, who want to be able to switch between languages for whatever reason.

To get rid of them, what you want to do is go into Windows Update.

Click on "View Available Updates"

Right-click on the items you want to remove from the list, and choose “Hide update” from the menu.

That should do it

I had a customer in who wanted the multilingual support, that was fun fun fun!  "When I type in Slovac I get  <random strange character> instead of  <the other strange random character>, why is that??"
    Friday, March 16, 2007 6:00 PM
  • win xp sp2 de update language sorunuyla karsılasıyorum lutfen yardımcı olun
    Monday, March 26, 2007 9:28 AM
  • I uninstalled "Ultimate Extra", went back to windows update and the 15 language options are still there. I guess another Vista surprise. What I did not think of is right click to open the menu which did the trick. It would have been nice to click on the button to highlight all the updates and right click to hide all, but knowing Microsoft that is probably asking too much.

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 2:12 AM
  • This is exactly what I needed to turn these off. My W7U box is showing 38 language update files. Meh no want!

I'm building my Windows 7 Ultimate box up from the bare metal, having built more than a few XP Pro boxes and refurbed a bunch more, so this is a foray into terra incognita. The automagical download page doesn't indicate how to disable them.

There are times I miss XP style windows windows update. [And I thought I'd never say that....]

-h

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:28 PM
  • The other thing that I've found handy here is Revo Uninstaller.

When you've got lots of language resources installed with an application (e.g. ATI/AMD video card DRIVERS come with a boatload of languages) Revo helps me clean out excessive languages from the various packages. It can deal with Windows components, also.

/s/ BezantSoft

Friday, September 21, 2012 12:09 AM