none
Computer doesn't respond when internet cable is plugged in.

Question

• So whenever I start my computer up in normal mode without the ethernet cable plugged in it works fine, as soon as I plug the ethernet cable in I get the loading mouse wheel (win7) and i am unable to launch any programs but I can still browse folders/files and I can't shutdown my computer from the start menu, but it works fine on safemode with networking.

Not sure if this is needed:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250

RAM: 6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M3N-H/HDMI (Socket AM2 )

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)

Saturday, February 02, 2013 12:01 AM

All replies

• Check and make sure you have all the hardware drivers, utility software, and BIOS update from ASUS installed.

Go to http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/M3NHHDMI/#support_Download and select your OS for the correct drivers.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, February 03, 2013 4:03 PM
  • Sorry I should of noted this in the first post, but the problem happened during while I was moving house, it was fine before the shift, but after setting my PC up again it started this problem, So maybe something knocked it about?
    Monday, February 04, 2013 1:55 AM
  • Hi,

You can try to update the drivers first, and then test the issue in Safe Mode with networking to see whether it works.

In addition, I suggest you scan the system using the anti-virus program.

Also, you can check whether other computers occurred this issue when using the same network environment.

Thanks,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 5:57 AM
  • Drivers are upto date. Virus scan done and nothing came up, my laptop doesn't have this issue and its on the same network. My computer works in safe mode and networking with the ethernet plugged in but it just wont work in normal mode.
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 9:27 PM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357?wa=wsignin1.0

The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:
    1. To open a command prompt, click Start and then type CMD in the Search programs and files.
    2. Right-click CMD.exe icon in Programs and choose Run as administrator.
    3. When the User Account Control box pop up, click Yes.
    4. At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:
      netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
      Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:
      netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
    5. Reboot the computer.
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 10:26 PM
  • If the suggestion above doesn’t work you can try removing your antivirus/firewall software.

Since the card works in safemode it is very likely that the problem is software based, so you can try using msconfig and prevent the applications from loading into the memory when the system is booting up. If you remove the apps from msconfig one by one you should be able to narrow down to which one is causing the problem.

If none of the suggestions work then I would say remove any software related to the network card from Programs and Features (exm. Uninstall Intel Network Connections). Delete the network card driver and install new driver.

Thursday, February 07, 2013 10:31 PM
  • Hi,

Since it work in safe mode with networking. I suggest you can also try to boot into clean boot mode to check whether any application affect this.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 08, 2013 1:10 AM
  • Since my last reply the three suggestions posted have not worked. Still not able to run it in normal startup mode without it freezing when the ethernet cable is plugged in.
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:37 PM
  • bump
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:45 AM
  • Apparently the problem cannot be isolated via an internet forum and you need to take it to a computer repair shop for some hands-on diagnostics.  Hardware problems are extremely hard to diagnose remotely.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, February 17, 2013 12:32 PM
  • I don't think it would be a hardware problem because it works in safe mode? so wouldn't that mean its a software issue?
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:19 PM