none
0x80070570 Error message

Question

• For some reason I keep getting error message 0x80070570 when trying to delete files.  It will not allow me to send the file to the recycle bin.  Can anyone help me with why this message is appearing and offer a solution as to how to make it go away.
    Monday, December 17, 2007 1:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Richard,

Thank you for the reply.

Let’s try the following steps to check the disk:

1.    Boot from the Windows Vista disk.

2.    Click on System Recovery Options

3.    Click on Command Prompt

4.    Type chkdsk /r and press Enter.

In addition, can you boot to Safe Mode to delete the file?

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:33 AM
  • Thanks, but I decided to just let the Disc Check utility continue flashing that message, and eventually it continued. After reading that it takes anywhere from fifteen minutes to nearly an hour I figured I just wasn't being patient enough. After it did its thing, the file I wanted to delete was gone, and the folder it was in was deleteable, so it's not a problem anymore.

So to the original poster, I would suggest running the Disk Check utility. Right click whatever drive the file is on that you wanna delete, properties, Tools, Error Checking, and then check both boxes, and then restart.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 7:26 AM

All replies

•  

Hi rdwalker17,

Thank you for the post.

Before going further, please help confirm the following three points:

1.    What files cannot be deleted? Please let me know their names and locations?

2.    When did the issue begin to occur?

3.    Have any changes been made on the computer recently, such as an installation or upgrade?

Based on the current situation, I suggest trying to delete these files in Safe Mode:

Restart the computer, keep pressing the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up.

What’s the result?

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:46 AM
  • I'm having the same exact problem. It's only happening with a certain folder so far. I have been downloading a few files via uTorrent, and then I rememeber having to restart for one reason or another. I forgot to pause or stop the download, and when I restarted, one of the torrents I was downloading, the program was reporting that the file was incomplete or corrupted. So I cancelled the download, and restarted it in another folder. I try and attempt to delete the folder that was 'corrupted' and when I do I get the same exact error message Walker is getting.

I also have another issue that I think is related: When I try and run Disk Check upon restart, it goes for a few seconds then it repeatedly flashes "Deleted corrupt attribute list entry with type code 128 in file 10386." It flashes it up and down the screen over and over and over again and never stops until I restart. Help! Sad

Also: I can't get into Safe Mode the few times I've tried. It loads a list of files which I assume are essential for startup, but freezes at crcdisk or something to that effect.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 9:49 AM
  • Hi requieminadream,

Thank you for the post.

I suggest trying below now:

Clean Boot

=========

1. Click the Start Button, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click the Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is just a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can enable them later on. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

If we still cannot delete the file, please temporarily uninstall uTorrent to test the result.

In addition, we can restore the system to a state before downloading the file via Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:37 AM
  • Thanks, but I decided to just let the Disc Check utility continue flashing that message, and eventually it continued. After reading that it takes anywhere from fifteen minutes to nearly an hour I figured I just wasn't being patient enough. After it did its thing, the file I wanted to delete was gone, and the folder it was in was deleteable, so it's not a problem anymore.

So to the original poster, I would suggest running the Disk Check utility. Right click whatever drive the file is on that you wanna delete, properties, Tools, Error Checking, and then check both boxes, and then restart.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 7:26 AM
  •  

Hi requieminadream,

Thank you for sharing us how you resolved this issue.

I believe your resolution will be helpful for other people who encounter the same issue in the future.

Now I will mark this thread as “Answered”. If you have other issues regarding Windows Vista, please feel free to post new threads.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Thursday, December 20, 2007 3:23 AM
  • Tim,

I am still having the same issue.  The file that is giving the error was downloaded to my desktop using the Windows Vista download tool.  The file is a .jpg and is still functional, but it will not allow me to delete.  I tried to use the clean boot and that did not work.  Also I tried to do a system restore but it would not allow me to because there were errors associated with the C: drive.  Vista prompted me to run a disk check but it could not run one while the disk was in use, so it told me to schedule one for the next time I start my computer.  I have been through this numerous times with restarts and shutdowns and it will not run a disk check.  I am stuck at this point. 

Thanks,

Richard
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 4:22 AM
  • Hi Richard,

Thank you for the reply.

Let’s try the following steps to check the disk:

1.    Boot from the Windows Vista disk.

2.    Click on System Recovery Options

3.    Click on Command Prompt

4.    Type chkdsk /r and press Enter.

In addition, can you boot to Safe Mode to delete the file?

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:33 AM
  • Tim,

I was able to delete the file using a safe boot.  Thank you for all of the help.

Richard
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:25 PM
  • I am having this same problem  Whenever I try to delete something or move it to the recycle bin, it gives me the 0x80070570 error message.  If I want to try the steps you outlineed above, can I just put the operating system disk that came with my computer to boot the laptop.  On this disk it says that it's for reinstalling the operating system.  I don't want to do that.  Please advise.  I don't just want to delete the item in safe mode because it does it for anythinig I try to delete.  I'd like to fix the problem for good.  thanks.

Friday, September 05, 2008 7:48 PM
  • I have tried several of the suggested solutions.  I tried a system restore but get a message that there is a file system corruption on the drive and I should do a  check disk for errors.  When I run a check disk I'm told that it can't check the disk while in use.  So I restarted the computer in safe mode and typed chkdsk /r at the command prompt.  Then it told me it can't run check disk because the volume is in use by another process.  I'm at a loss.  Please help.  Thanks, Mary.

Friday, September 05, 2008 9:08 PM
  • I think I have the ame issues as McHugh Designs.  Nothing I try works.  I can't delete anything in safe mode, I can't do the chkdsk. I can't do system recovery without cheking the disk...

How can I fix this without getting a whole new computer?
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 6:41 AM
  • I imagine you fixed this by now, but this is for the Googlers who end up here (hopefully not after months of just not deleting files like me).

I had these same symptoms and nothing I found on support forums seemed to help. I imagine the Startup Recovery might have but my PC manufacturer didn't see fit to give me that option (their recovery just reinstalls everything and wipes out your data. Nice!) Anyway, I think mine ended up being a corrupt file in the Recycle bin folder itself, and I managed to almost fix it like this:
    1. Disable the Recycle Bin
    2. Show hidden and system files
    3. Open the C drive
    4. Rename $Recycle.bin to something else (I used Recycle.bin2, no dollar sign- doubt it matters)
    5. Re-enable the recycle bin. This will create a new $Recycle.bin which hopefully [i]isn't[/i] corrupted
    6. Hide hidden and system files (if you want, anyway)

Now I'm able to send files to the Recycle Bin again, the only issue left is getting rid of the old corrupt one. That should be relatively easy, though. Now off to copy and paste this to a few more forums!
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 11:18 AM
  • Thanks much!  chkdsk /r from the command prompt worked like a charm in less than a minute!  -Rich
    Monday, October 12, 2009 3:14 PM
  • Happy to find this recent thread.

On an external drive, I found three folders when displayed on a Windows Server 2003 R2 system:

$RECYCLE.BIN (which shows "Recycle Bin" inside)
    Recycled
    Recycler (which shows two SID sub-folders)

I gather that Recycled was from FAT32 so I deleted it.  This still leaves me with two folders.

In the past I've had trouble with orphaned files that became very difficult to delete because clicking on any present or former "Recycle Bin" always showed the un-orphaned files only.

Today, I'd simply like to understand why I'm seeing both $RECYCLE.BIN and Recycler so that I can avoid problems (especially as it is an external drive and this system is tight on space).

(BTW, $RECYCLE.BIN is dreadful to search for; the $ is generally discarded and the "." makes it two words to search engines).

Wayne Erfling
    • Edited by Cornan The Iowan Wednesday, November 04, 2009 2:22 PM spelling; clarity
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 2:17 PM
  • Im just recently having this problem on my Kingston USB (8GB).
    The peoblem is that i am in full time education and the folder (among others) which is getting this error is my course work!

Im wondering if i am able to "save" or keep any of it. I believe that the files are still there because i have a picture that has the same error but i can see the thumbnail so i hopefully its not lost.

Any ideas if i fiddle around with the Recycle Bin in the drive will work?

I am also running a Check Disk with both boxes ticked and i will update this on the result.

Many thanks in advanced
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 11:20 PM
  •  The Files are on my memory stick for my r4 card they are called moonshl and _system_ it was only just occured no changes had happed at all
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:39 PM
  • This is not directly related to your deletion problem, but a suggestion to avoid losing documents if you have to reinstall your OS.

Partition your hard drive (easy in vista, go control panel>administrative tools>computer management>storage>disk management, and then right click in the drive you want to resize - although sometimes you can't do this because windows has put a file right at the end of the drive, which prevents it being "shrunk")  and make a new partition. Format this, and make this entire partition your documents folder (go start menu> <usersname>documents>properties>location).

This won't be overwritten when you do a reinstall.

It's a bit fiddly, but saves an awful lot of cussing afterwards. You still have to reinstall your programme files, but that's fairly easy if you've copied all the cd's into a folder on the new partition. Don't forget to make a .txt file listing any serial numbers!  

Saturday, April 03, 2010 1:11 AM
  • help plz

i wanted to delete a game from my usb but when it was deleted i accedently removed my usb now the problem is that i cant delete the folder. 

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 1:04 PM