none
LPT Port Does Not Exist on Win7

Question

• I have a win7Pro 32B installed on a Lenovo ThinkCenter AllInOne Machine with no LPT port.

I found out that there is also no LPT port in the device manager and tried to install one by adding legacy device, but this didnt work out. (it installed it but with an ! mark)

I need to have it in the device manager since i have an application that prints only to LPT (go figure). It needs to print to a lable printer (the printer is a usb zebra printer that can catch the printout from the LPT port and redirect it to the usb port)

Does anyone knows how should i install an LPT port if this can be done at all. and if not is there a work around?

I have looked it up in the BIOS and there is no option to enable or disable the LPT port.

Thanks in advace,

Timor

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:12 AM

Answers

• It may be possible with the NET USE command.  First of all you'll need a shared printer somewhere; if you can set the label printer as shared so much the better.  Let's say your computer name is COMP1 and your label printer is shared as ZEBRA.  From an elevated Command Prompt type in the following:

NET USE LPT1: \\COMP1\ZEBRA  /PERSISTENT:YES

(all lower case is fine too)

Now LPT1 is redirected to your printer.  You can either print directly to it or let your label software catch it and do it for you.  Note that LPT1 will not show up in Device Manager because the hardware doesn't actually exist...  If your software is dependent on a hardware LPT port then DominicP's suggestion of an add-in PCI card is your only solution - the USB to parallel won't work since it won't show up as a physical LPT port.

To remove the redirection for whatever reason, from an elevated Command Prompt type:

NET USE LPT1: /DELETE

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:00 PM

All replies

• If you have a free slot on the motherboard you could install an LPT port card. Google for "parallel port card" and be sure there are Windows 7 drivers for it.

Alternatively, there are USB to parallel port adapters but many do not work well or at all with Windows 7.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:05 AM
  • It may be possible with the NET USE command.  First of all you'll need a shared printer somewhere; if you can set the label printer as shared so much the better.  Let's say your computer name is COMP1 and your label printer is shared as ZEBRA.  From an elevated Command Prompt type in the following:

NET USE LPT1: \\COMP1\ZEBRA  /PERSISTENT:YES

(all lower case is fine too)

Now LPT1 is redirected to your printer.  You can either print directly to it or let your label software catch it and do it for you.  Note that LPT1 will not show up in Device Manager because the hardware doesn't actually exist...  If your software is dependent on a hardware LPT port then DominicP's suggestion of an add-in PCI card is your only solution - the USB to parallel won't work since it won't show up as a physical LPT port.

To remove the redirection for whatever reason, from an elevated Command Prompt type:

NET USE LPT1: /DELETE

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:00 PM