none
WAN Miniport (SSTP)

Question

• WAN Miniport (SSTP) error 39.....after installing SP1 (17052) , removed SP1..left me with this yellow warning triangle in device manager...

However it shows driver version 6.0.6001.17052, device status....Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Appears that SP1 left part of its information there. Everything seems to be working ok other than the warning

Monday, December 31, 2007 7:15 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem. The installation of SP1 brings WAN Miniport (SSTP) driver. After removing SP1 you can finde the WAN Miniport (SSTP) driver in the device manager with a yellow warning triangle.

It seems, that the
    WAN Miniport (SSTP) driver makes some problems with  the internetconnection. I am not able to load any Website. Every  Webbrowser says that the Adress is not valid.

I would like to deinstall  the
    WAN Miniport (SSTP) driver. But i don' t know how to do this.

Thanks for your help,
    best regards
    Tuesday, January 01, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Me too!

Any luck by now?
    Wednesday, January 02, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Hey - guess what - I found a fix! This worked for me, I hope it works for you...

I installed the Vista SP1 beta. I then uninstalled it cos it sucks. I then found that the Wan miniport wasn't working and couldn't be deleted or uininstalled.

This is the solution:
    Use the following commands to be carried out as the user Administrator (Run as Administrator) from Command prompt (cmd):
    netcfg -e -u ms_sstpminiport

This will delete the wan miniport. If you want to install it again it should be on your network disks.

You may have to find the course Hardware ID device from the Device Manager and selecting the Details tab-> Hardware IDs if it is not 'ms_sstpminiport' which is causing the problem.

I am not technically minded so please don't blame me if this doesn't work or if it mucks up your system. Don't bother to ask me any questions because I probably won't know the answer. But it did work for me! Yoo hoo!!

Good luck!

C00lnshady

• Proposed as answer by Doug Gholson Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:21 PM
    Wednesday, January 02, 2008 11:28 PM
  • Thanks, it worked for me.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 2:38 PM
  • Hey, I was having same problem and this worked for me also. THANKS !!.  I believe SSTP is a new tunneling protocol to be part of SP1 but not part of original Vista release.

Daville

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:11 PM
  •  

Thanks much, C00lnshady! Worked for me as well.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:28 PM
  • Great, it work for me.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:10 PM
  • Thanks.  This also fixed a weird Windows Update error that stopped updates for over a week.

NvL

Friday, February 15, 2008 1:29 AM
  •  The_Vipa wrote:
    I have the same problem. The installation of SP1 brings WAN Miniport (SSTP) driver. After removing SP1 you can finde the WAN Miniport (SSTP) driver in the device manager with a yellow warning triangle.

It seems, that the
    WAN Miniport (SSTP) driver makes some problems with  the internetconnection. I am not able to load any Website. Every  Webbrowser says that the Adress is not valid.

I would like to deinstall  the
    WAN Miniport (SSTP) driver. But i don' t know how to do this.

Thanks for your help,
    best regards
    Friday, February 29, 2008 3:26 PM
  • Use the following commands to be carried out as the user Administrator (Run as Administrator) from Command prompt (cmd):

This has worked for a lot of people

Good luck!

Sunday, March 02, 2008 10:20 AM
  • work for me too

Monday, March 24, 2008 5:52 PM
  •  c00lnshady wrote:

Hey - guess what - I found a fix! This worked for me, I hope it works for you...

I installed the Vista SP1 beta. I then uninstalled it cos it sucks. I then found that the Wan miniport wasn't working and couldn't be deleted or uininstalled.

This is the solution:
    Use the following commands to be carried out as the user Administrator (Run as Administrator) from Command prompt (cmd):

This will delete the wan miniport. If you want to install it again it should be on your network disks.

You may have to find the course Hardware ID device from the Device Manager and selecting the Details tab-> Hardware IDs if it is not 'ms_sstpminiport' which is causing the problem.

I am not technically minded so please don't blame me if this doesn't work or if it mucks up your system. Don't bother to ask me any questions because I probably won't know the answer. But it did work for me! Yoo hoo!!

Good luck!

C00lnshady

Worked for me man, thanks Smile It was pretty annoying seeing it pop up everytime I opened the Device Manager. Thanks again.

Monday, March 24, 2008 8:17 PM
  • c00lnshady - WELL DONE!!

I bumbled along this yesterday and
    - impatiently selected and copied the fix text you suggested [
    netcfg -e -u ms_sstpminiport ]
    - clicked that Windows Vista 'start' menu button
    - selected the 'run' command link
    - typed in 'cmd'
    - right-clicked and pasted that in
    - whacked 'enter' on me partners Toshiba A200-1ai laptop that I use more than im
    - hit F5 in the Device Manager window
    - and saw that stupid error device of a WAN Miniport (SSTP) whatever it is now not there Smile

WOOHAY!!!

Because as
    tironabardheblu has said, was just driving me nuts popping up and clicking it away all the time like the UAC doesn't mean I click like far too much already - Microsoft could well have people suing over RSI soon enough as they seem to be promoting the need to do this - security over health??

I rebooted just to be sure and hope broadband connection was not messed up or something and all was fine and dandy.

Now then just today after coming back to read and double check what exactly the WAN Miniport (SSTP) is, so I maybe knew which part of the laptop may now not be functional/available thinking maybe it was a TV port typed ting - but that is S-Video noh! Lol - I 'googled' "What is a WAN Miniport (SSTP)" and got linked to this again Smile and then tried "WAN Miniport (SSTP) site:microsoft.com" and came across this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948263 entitled "Error message when you view a WAN Miniport (SSTP) network adapter or a WAN Miniport (NDISWANBH) network adapter in Device Manager in Windows Vista: "Error code 39"" which states "
    This problem occurs because SSTP network adapters and NDISWANBH network adapters are not supported in the release version of Windows Vista. The devices should not be displayed in Device Manager." and does not offer any fix other than to ignore (impossible for me!!) (though does state it relates to Beta releases - not that they seem to have changed too much from the Beta to actual release - but then again was apparently last reviewed on the 10 Feb 2008!!!)

Thus our Windows Vista systems should not be messed up by your fix which so far for those I have seen posted and myself, all seems negatively unaffected by this fix Smile with sheer positive exclaim.

Now I shall return to faffing with trying to sort out the NVIDIA driver problems and hope that I can soon install SP1 which I also hope will fix an issue where I think Windows vista driver (dll) library is highly unstable as many standard applications have been suddenly coming up with errors relating to being unable to locate dll files and then failing to launch/work properly and just making the decision to go with Windows Vista as it is latest OS release and was partner who put in most seem even more like the most illogical nonsense...

This is after spending most of the Fri evening trying to keep 3 kittens and a cat off the laptop whilst making three full attempts to install the SP1 as Windows Update stated and having each rollback for ages after failure at Stage 3 100% each time and then hopelessly trying to troubleshoot with error messages relating to NVIDIA and the WAN Miniport (SSTP) (each discovered to be connected through the sheer frequent exasperation of trying to find technical information within Windows Vista about the system and what is causing those error messages) and being unable to 'surf' before being knackered but at least feeling successful after finding your fix!!

SORRY FOR BABBLING BUT I THINK THIS POST WAS USEFUL!!!

Maybe a Mac next time, the time it might take to get used to Apple might be better than the time to faff with trying to troubleshoot Windows... However I think Windows appeels to those who are not quite sure what they want (moi!!) outta things and feel Windows will  be adaptable as you can experiment and have many options available with applications and games to try etc, most businesses use Windows OS's (even UK airport Passport Control!!!) and MAC never feels like it will tell you how to do things (Windows tutorials available with all sorts!!) which thought good for the brave, quite scary for the rest eh...

But for now, we have cool forums and nice communities of us Windows baffled people... all united in elevated Windows/Microsoft stress levels where we can be calmed and no longer feel alone in our Vista etc. plight(s) Smile

Sunday, March 30, 2008 5:43 AM
  •  DBunn wrote:

WAN Miniport (SSTP) error 39.....after installing SP1 (17052) , removed SP1..left me with this yellow warning triangle in device manager...

However it shows driver version 6.0.6001.17052, device status....Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Appears that SP1 left part of its information there. Everything seems to be working ok other than the warning

Sunday, March 30, 2008 11:47 AM
  •  

It worked for me thank you for that information....
    Tuesday, April 08, 2008 12:14 PM
  • Thanksssss a lot!............it worked fer me too!

Sunday, April 27, 2008 3:21 AM
  • Unfortunately, it didn't work for me!

When I typed in the prescribed string at the command prompt, I received:

Trying to uninstall ms_sstpminiport ...

... failed. Error code: 0x800070005.

I am open to alternative suggestions! Thanks!

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:03 PM
  • It works You Are a geek

Saturday, June 21, 2008 4:43 PM
  •  c00lnshady wrote:

Hey - guess what - I found a fix! This worked for me, I hope it works for you...

This is the solution:

Good luck!

C00lnshady

Thanks a lot - its works for mee too  after tryin to installing SP1  

Monday, June 23, 2008 2:03 AM
  • great fix  fixed my moms system , still gonna reinstall vista w/sp1 and get it on cd so i can reinstall vista ultimate sp1 onto it. sp1 has trouble installing with a bunch of home built systems.

But great fix

Friday, June 27, 2008 2:08 AM
  • thank you , it worked for me too,

Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:12 PM
  • Thanks alot man. this fixed my wan miniport driver error under Vista Business. it was driving me nuts before i came accross your comment. u r a lifesaver Smile

Thursday, July 03, 2008 7:24 AM
  •  

Click on Control panel, Go to Hardware and sound - under device manager  - click on view hardware and devices. Will see the yellow mark over network adapter, Wan Miniport (SSTP) Right mouse like on WAN Miniport SSTP click on Disable. Now the Browser is working Normally and fast.

GloriaT.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:48 PM
  • I did fix the problem when I reverted the installation back,  this is when I did reinstalled Windows Vista SP1 back the issue with WAN Miniport (SSTP) was fix by itself I did not did any thing different only reverting the installation back.

This when the problem of the Wan Miniport (SSTP) was solved.

thank you Hector 07/31/08 7:45 AM. 

Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:48 AM
  • I've manged to get rid of the WAN sstp miniport, but still can't connect to the Internet - anyone got any suggestions?  Tearing my hair out!!!

Thursday, August 07, 2008 10:39 AM
  • Please all you have to do is uninstall Windows Vista SP1 in Windows Update then installed back the same way with Windows Update this fix the problem for me. this article was posted in a Microsft Web Page.  Just do this few steps and should be ok.

Thursday, August 07, 2008 12:01 PM
  •  Lindy100 wrote:

I've manged to get rid of the WAN sstp miniport, but still can't connect to the Internet - anyone got any suggestions?  Tearing my hair out!!!

Now found out through Microsoft help desk that I had to unistall Norton antivirus completely and then re-install - this finally worked - only taken me two days!! 

Thursday, August 07, 2008 3:16 PM
  • I was having the same problem if you install Vista SP1 with Windows Update for the first time what you can do is uninstall Windows Vista SP1 in Windows Update then installed back the same way With Windows Update this work for me.

I seen this article in Microsoft Web page. You should be GOOD TO GO. This will also fix connecting to the Internet.

thank you Hector 08/07/08 8:33 PM.

Friday, August 08, 2008 12:36 AM
  •  Hector Torres wrote:

Please all you have to do is uninstall Windows Vista SP1 in Windows Update then installed back the same way with Windows Update this fix the problem for me. this article was posted in a Microsft Web Page.  Just do this few steps and should be ok.

Saturday, August 09, 2008 6:39 PM
  • Please If you install Windows Vista SP1 with Windows Update all you have to do uninstalled using Windows Update then installed back using Windows Update this will solved all your problems even connecting to the Internet. I was having the same problems at first now i solved the issue with this steps above.

Good luck you should be good to go.

Saturday, August 09, 2008 6:55 PM
  • Congratulations and a thousand thanx.
    J
    Friday, August 29, 2008 1:19 AM
  •  Hector Torres wrote:

I did fix the problem when I reverted the installation back,  this is when I did reinstalled Windows Vista SP1 back the issue with WAN Miniport (SSTP) was fix by itself I did not did any thing different only reverting the installation back.

This when the problem of the Wan Miniport (SSTP) was solved.

thank you Hector 07/31/08 7:45 AM. 

Friday, August 29, 2008 1:26 AM
  • I hate Service Pack Sp1. After the install, my itunes forgot every setting each time that I shut down my computer. Also my computer did not shut down properly, ever. So I got rid of it.  And I as well was left with this Miniport SSTP on my harddrive.
     This lost driver kills my sound. It completely removes my sound driver information. I dont know why it would do such a thing. It seems like its for connecting to a network. But it kills sound.  All sound. And my Video playback is choppy now.
     Can anyone help fix this.  

I hate windows updates, they always fuq stuff up.

I wish I had a MAC
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:34 PM
  • awesome man, thanks for your post. removing just sstpminiport didn't work for me, then i saw your post. Now i can sleep better!!
    Wednesday, April 01, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Hello.

I have Vista Basic SP1, and saw this driver with an ! mark, etc, and the 6t04 drivers, thought it was a bit wierd so removed all of them. Now every time the "Remote Access  Connection Manager"   (the service that looks after Dial Up connections and VPN's) starts, it blue screens. 

The BSOD error is 0x8E and is usually caused by hardware issues, but in this case, however, a driver is cited rassstp.sys and is related to RAS SSTP Miniport Call Manager. RASSSTP.SYS is a part of the Microsoft OS.

The "Whocrashed" minidump, extraction tells me:

On Mon 13/04/2009 10:42:30 PM your computer crashed
    This was likely caused by the following module: rassstp.sys
    Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xC0000005, 0x0, 0x9DA1BA48, 0x0)
    Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

The RASSSTP.SYS is the driver for the WAN MINIPORT (SSTP) as above here. I disabled the service in Services. Completely stable PC on network, browsing through ADSL works no problems.  

However, this PC has only dial up ( im working on it for someone else) and it will NOT allow RAS to start, or configure any dial up connections.  Set service to manual, to enable the dial up to work. Blue Screen.

Disabling the Device will not stop the bsod when Vista starts the service, the service itself has to be diabled.

If at any time you want to restart this service, the Dell PC blue screens.

I have reinstalled network drivers, etc. No avail.

So, in the end I followed the instructions to remove the MINIPORT driver, as on this page, and after I removed it, and now want to reinstall it, as it will not come back.

The Remote Access Connection Manager" Service will now NOT start. It tells me its missing a dependency, i.e. the miniport driver  device that its trying to kick off.

I need to know how to put it back, and its driving me nuts.

;0)
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:22 AM
  • I have solved this problem. Now Microsoft confirms this to be a problem (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/948263 ) which you can ignore apparently, except when it causes a Blue Screen of Death.

You have to 1st remove the SSTP miniport entry, and then get Vista to put it back. ( this Fix applies to Vista Service SP1)

1st to stop the BSOD, Start Vista in safe mode,
    ----------------------------------------------
    Go to Control Panel, Administration Tools, Services, and find the service

"Remote Access  Connection Manager"   (the service that looks after Dial Up connections and VPN's).
    Set this to DISABLED. This stops if trying to launch under normal mode, which triggers the "Blue Screen".

To remove the errant SSTP Driver
    --------------------------------
    start Vista again.

"netcfg -e -u ms_sstpminiport"

This ReMOVES the entry.

To Replace the SSTP entry (without which the Remote Accesss Connection Manager Service" cannot Start.
    -------------------------

Reboot your PC, start Vista as normal,

Download DEVCON, a command prompt dev tool from Microsoft. Devcon is available here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272
    Download the ZIP file, and put it somewhere handy like C:\windows\system32 to save having to put a path when you run it. If you have a broken dial up, you have to download this from elsewhere before you start.

Run Command Prompt (using the Run As Adminstrator Option).

Type the command :

devcon install c:\windows\inf\netsstpa.inf ms_sstpminiport

Watch the command for it finishes. If it errors, dont worry, it needs a reboot yet, and some of the commands cannot finish while your logged on.

Reboot the PC.

Go to Control Panel, Administration Tools, Services, and find the service

"Remote Access  Connection Manager"   (the service that looks after Dial Up connections and VPN's).
    Set this to Manual (or Automatic).

You should find that this service can now start (if it has not already. My 1st run at this fix, set the start of the service back to Manual when I ran the devcon).  You should find that the Dial Up functions are now back online, and the blue screen is just a memory that has gone. Took me 2 days to get to this point, but its better than a re-installation from scratch. PC now works with no issues.

• Proposed as answer by chapmad2 Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:56 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:56 PM
  • This is the first real solution. It worked 100% after about five attemps to activate SP1. Thanks
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Excellent solution !!!C00lnshady  / Thank you
     You are also very humble man !
     You have the correct answer to this frustrating problem   !
    PS ;  Cmd Command SHOULD BE EXACTLY AS YOU HAD STATED ! ( SPACES IN BETWEEN ALSO ! ) 
     Command prompt (cmd):

WORKED WERY WELL !

Thank you
    Monday, November 02, 2009 3:44 AM
  • WORKED HERE TOO..THANK YOU VERY MUCH EVERYONE!! I have a PC that's running Vista UNSP'D ...(IT Blue Screens Otherwise) Not enough Memory! (512 and STILL RUNNING!!)  It's running Ultimate!

Monday, July 05, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Cause

There are several causes of Code 39 errors:
    A required device driver is missing.
    A required binary file is corrupted.
    There is a problem with the file I/O process.
    A driver that is referencing an entry point in another binary file is unable to load.
    Recommended resolution

Reinstall the drivers for this device.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.
    On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions.
    Restart your computer.
    Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:30 PM
  • It works for me too.

related to bsod region ID 2070 on vista 32bit x86

• Proposed as answer by alexbernardo Sunday, January 16, 2011 9:48 AM
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:44 PM
  • trying.....trying.....if it works for me i'll become your slave for all the eternity... NOT A JOKE!!!
    • Proposed as answer by technerdmichael Saturday, February 25, 2012 4:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by technerdmichael Saturday, February 25, 2012 4:26 PM
    • Proposed as answer by technerdmichael Saturday, February 25, 2012 4:38 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by technerdmichael Saturday, February 25, 2012 4:38 PM
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Sorry about the multiple Posts/ answers. Im a forum newbie.
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 4:40 PM
  • I tried this netcfg command and recieved an errorcode: +x80070057

So my problem is still unsolved.

Kind regards BMol

Moe

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:15 PM
  • Thanks a bunch!

I have been racking my brain for a couple days, trying not to have to reinstall windows for a silly broken network protocol.

This worked perfectly for removing multiple "Banged" WAN Miniport entries, with the hint of looking up the Hardware ID I got all 8 of them.

Cudos!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Hey - guess what - I found a fix! This worked for me, I hope it works for you...

This is the solution:

Good luck!

C00lnshady

Thanks for solution. It was really fantastic. The miniport Wan  SSTP was eliminated. Now I can reinstall the Service Pack 1 Windows Vista, that I was impossible make install it, you're fantastic .A lot of kisses.
    Friday, September 28, 2012 10:54 AM