none
Missing USB Drivers after controller software tinkering

Question

• I work for a flash drive reseller and we were given software by Alcor (chip manufacturers) to examine drive controllers. Since installing that software and running some tests, I have problems using flash drives. About 2 out of 3 that I plug in either won't load at all or load but the drivers can't install. I try to "automatically install" and it says drivers found but cannot install because the specified path does not exist. I've been waiting for a response from Alcor for 2 weeks now and it may not come.

I searched all over the internet even tried downloading a new USBSTOR.inf file but nothing has helped. Now I don't even have a USBSTOR.inf file. Can't figure out where or how to reinstall all the generic Windows USB host controllers/adapters/drivers.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:33 PM

Answers

• You may try reinstalling the Chipset drivers on your computer and check if it fixes the issue.
    To get the latest chipset drivers you may visit your motherboard manufacturer's website.

And generally reinstall USB controllers:

To remove and reinstall all USB controllers, follow these steps:
    a.    ClickStart, clickRun, typesysdm.cpl in theOpen box, and then clickOK.
    b.    Click theHardware tab.
    c.    Click theDevice Manager button.
    d.    ExpandUniversal Serial Bus controllers.
    e.    Right-click every device under theUniversal Serial Bus controllers node, and then clickUninstall to remove them one at a time.
    f.    Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.
    g.    Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:49 AM

All replies

• Is there someplace I can go to download default Windows USB device drivers?
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:54 PM
  • Have you tried a system restore to a restore point before you installed the Alcor software?

• Edited by Lead3 Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:20 PM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:20 PM
  • Its been almost a month at this point, I have no idea what I'd lose in the interim. I wasted a couple of weeks trying to find a resolution myself and another couple of weeks waiting for a response from Alcor. Incidentally, today I did receive a response and they said they haven't heard of this issue. The program did crash twice while using it and they did tell me after the fact that they don't think it works on Windows 7 (which I have of course).

Was hoping I could just redownload the USB Host Controller drivers or something along those lines.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:24 PM

• You may try reinstalling the Chipset drivers on your computer and check if it fixes the issue.
    To get the latest chipset drivers you may visit your motherboard manufacturer's website.

And generally reinstall USB controllers:

To remove and reinstall all USB controllers, follow these steps:
    a.    ClickStart, clickRun, typesysdm.cpl in theOpen box, and then clickOK.
    b.    Click theHardware tab.
    c.    Click theDevice Manager button.
    d.    ExpandUniversal Serial Bus controllers.
    e.    Right-click every device under theUniversal Serial Bus controllers node, and then clickUninstall to remove them one at a time.
    f.    Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.
    g.    Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:49 AM