none
XP mode NAT cannot ping anyone on network

Question

• i am facing a network problem with xp mode. i cannot ping anyone in my network. i am getting some 192.168.x.x ip with correct dns settings. i am using nat mode for xp mode virtual pc network.
    i have windows 7 RTM and RC xp mode.
    please guide me
    Technical
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:50 PM

Answers

• Closing the thread for lack of response.
    Check out the Engineering blog of Windows Virtual PC and Winodws XP Mode here: http://blogs.technet.com/windows_vpc/
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:21 AM

All replies

• Use your NIC instead of NAT. Go into Settings and change "Network" to your NIC. This will assign an IP address from your LAN.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:13 PM
  •   It has always been like that with VPC. NAT is a quick and easy way to get Internet access, but it does not give you local networking. Use normal networking and let your vm get its network config the same way as the host OS does, as Keith suggested.

You may need to stop the vm (not hibernate) to be able to change the settings.

Bill
    • Proposed as answer by Thundrous Sunday, August 21, 2011 4:57 AM
    Friday, August 14, 2009 2:12 AM
  • thanks for your quick reply guys .. problem is if i assign NIC to virtual machine then it will get ip from my LAN. this way each windows 7 installation will consume 2 IP's. i am trying to avoid this as i am evaluating xp mode feature to be rolled out in a bank with 300+ desktops. Also by getting LAN IP, xp mode vm will become visible on the network which i dont want. They are using certain printer type and appliction which is not yet compatible even with windows vista. I am assuming in NAT mode xp mode vm will atleast access network using host IP.

Another problem i am faching is for test purposes, i installed adminpak in xp mode. when i run "AD users and computers' i get message access denied when i am logged in as domain admin in windows 7 OS. i tried to right click and select run as and enetered domain admin credentials still same.

thanks guys

Technical
    Friday, August 14, 2009 11:20 AM
  • When you VM network is set to NAT, it cannot ping. However your most of the network connections should work.

Thanks, Vrijesh Kothari **** This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.
    • Proposed as answer by Gil Kremer Thursday, February 03, 2011 1:39 PM
    Friday, August 14, 2009 3:38 PM
  • It does seem like PPTP VPN does not work either when you do NAT setup.

Changing to assigned NIC made PPTP work (to MS SBS 2003)

Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:28 AM
  • can you plese tell how should i access my network .. i get error nteowkr not found when i try to access my network from run command.
    Technical
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 6:36 AM
  • Are you getting the error when VM network adapter assigned to NIC. Are you trying share access. In that case can you please check firewall settings of the target and access permissions.

Thanks, Vrijesh Kothari **** This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:05 AM
  • Closing the thread for lack of response.
    Check out the Engineering blog of Windows Virtual PC and Winodws XP Mode here: http://blogs.technet.com/windows_vpc/
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:21 AM
  • Hi Techi2, At my company we are having the same exact issue as you. We don't want our users to have 2 IP addresses, and NAT doesn't seem to hold the connection. Did you find a resolution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:19 PM
  • I have the same or similar problem.  I have an older application which won't run in Windows 7.  When I try to run it in XP mode, the application needs to access an IP address.  It cannot.  When I try to ping the IP address, I cannot.

** Note, I tried this over VPN, so not sure if that has something to do with it or not.

Monday, December 06, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Here I had the same problem. My company provide me only one fix IP address and there is not HDHCP server in my subnetwork. Therefore I can't use the host NIC for the XP mode. The only option I has was the NAT which as you guys have said, does not allow ping between the XP mode and the host. I could no ping to any of the other computer in the network from the XP-mode. Also I wanted to be able to Map a shared folder in another machine (not the host).

The solution:

1.  In the Win7 host I added the Microsoft Loopback Adapter.

- open a cmd window as administrator

- type hdwwiz.exe

- hit next

- select "install hardware that i manually select from a list", next

- select "network adapter", microsoft, microsoft loopback adapter

2. Microsoft Loopbak Adapter settings

The loopback adapter will show up as another NIC in you Win7 PC. You need to change the settings to a static IP 192.168.0.1, and use the DNS and Gateway that your Win 7 is currently using. 

3. Share the Internet Connection on the Win7 NIC

4. in the  settings of the XP mode , select the Microsoft Loopback Adapter.

So far you should be able to ping to the IP addresses from host to XPmode and from XPmode to host.

If you need to ping to a qualified name: like in my case I wanted to map a drive, and use a printer from another machine called VISTA64, then I added an entry to the "hosts" file (located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc)  with the IP address of the machine VISTA64. Then when I type \\vista64 in the explorer window, it shows up all the shared resources in VISTA64

• Proposed as answer by Gian Piero Tuesday, November 01, 2011 3:36 PM
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 8:34 PM
  • In Windows XP Mode - Windows Virtual PC, click on Tools, click on Settings, select Networking, in Adapter 1, select your LAN adapter.....and now you will be able to ping either of the sides :)

To Test from XP mode to Win 7:

1. get the IP of Win 7, use ipconfig in command prompt.

2. go to windows xp mode, command prompt (cmd), ping the ip address you got in earlier step. 

To test from Win 7 to XP mode

1. get the IP of Win XP mode, use ipconfig in command prompt.

2. go to Win 7, command prompt(cmd), ping the ip address you got in earlier step. 

Enjoy connectivity to all :)

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:41 AM
  • You are right!
    Thursday, February 03, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Your answer is very helpfull. Thank you
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:51 PM
  • >In Windows XP Mode - Windows Virtual PC, click on Tools, click on Settings, select Networking, in Adapter 1,
    >select your LAN adapter.....and now you will be able to ping either of the sides :)

The problem with this is that for many (read previous posts) this is not an option because it will cause the Win XP machine to grab another IP on the network. This can be an issue for a number of different reasons including:

• Many NACs will shut off a port if it sees multiple hosts connected on one port.
    • Some software is licensed by IP therefore allowing a Win XP VM to grab an IP will potentially double the number of IP addresses on the network.
    • Many larger networks are tightly controlled so that the end user simply does not have the option of grabbing another IP.
    • etc.
    It seems to me that the loopback adapter workaround is the only solution for those who need to ping. However, I've found that while it is true I can't ping, most other network connectivity works fine including nslookup, http, and windows file and print sharing.
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Microsoft Loopback Adapter.

- open a cmd window as administrator

- type hdwwiz.exe

- hit next

- select "install hardware that i manually select from a list", next

- select "network adapter", microsoft, microsoft loopback adapter

2. Microsoft Loopbak Adapter settings

The loopback adapter will show up as another NIC in you Win7 PC. You need to change the settings to a static IP 192.168.0.1, and use the DNS and Gateway that your Win 7 is currently using. 

3. Share the Internet Connection on the Win7 NIC

4. in the  settings of the XP mode , select the Microsoft Loopback Adapter.

So far you should be able to ping to the IP addresses from host to XPmode and from XPmode to host.

If you need to ping to a qualified name: like in my case I wanted to map a drive, and use a printer from another machine called VISTA64, then I added an entry to the "hosts" file (located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc)  with the IP address of the machine VISTA64. Then when I type \\vista64 in the explorer window, it shows up all the shared resources in VISTA64

Very nice solution! Many thanks from me and all the admins of our IT department!
    • Proposed as answer by Panacota Monday, March 26, 2012 1:23 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Panacota Monday, March 26, 2012 1:24 PM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 12:04 PM