none
Poor resolution screen after installing Vista SP1

Question

• I used to work with windows vista ultimate at 1900x1200 resolution screen. After installing SP1 the maximum resolution sreen is only up to 1024x768. Maybe a BUG in SP1. I´ve tried to upgrade the video driver, but nothing changed...I think the solution for now is to uninstall SP1 till a new version without this problem is released. 

Sunday, April 06, 2008 6:44 PM

Answers

• There's almost totally nothing usable to help identify the problem based on the information in your post.

Used to work at 1920x1200

Doesn't now.

What graphics card do you have?

What version of the driver is installed?

Did you uninstall the original driver before attempting to upgrade to the latest one?

You said you "tried" to update the driver, not that you "did" update the driver. Did the upgrade fail?

Monday, April 07, 2008 7:20 PM
  • You are right. The real resolution was 1920x1200. As it doesn´t work anymore I didn´t know if it was 1900 or 1920.

I´m using the latest original driver downloaded from the website (www.ati.com)

My video card is ATI Radeon X800 XT and before the sp1 it was working perfectly.

The present driver version is 8.471.0.0.

The driver update finished without erros, but didn´t solve the problem.

Is it possible that the monitor specifications/driver affects it? My current monitor is a LG2023A wide screen (23").

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 12:40 AM
  •  

You are right. The real resolution was 1920x1200. As it doesn´t work anymore I didn´t know if it was 1900 or 1920.

My video card is ATI Radeon X800 XT and before the sp1 it was working perfectly.

Is it possible that the monitor specifications/driver affects it? My current monitor is a LG2023A wide screen (23").

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 12:43 AM
  • I forgot to say that I tried to uninstall the SP1 and after the message "Step 3 - 100% done" appears another message: "error uninstalling SP1 - Reverting uninstalling".

In other words...I can´t uninstall SP1...

The funny thing is that in my laptop (HP Pavilion) SP1 is working perfectly till now.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 12:49 AM
  • I note you say you are using version 8.4x, though I could not locate it on ATI's site. Catalyst 8.3 is the latest they show.

Maybe they updated the drivers in the package but still called it catalyst 8.3

I also see you are mentioning that you have the HP Pavilion. Have you combed through the HP support pages to see if they issued a patch or update for SP1?

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 1:12 PM
  • The file I used to install the driver is in  https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/gamesite/8-3_vista32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_59752.exe

In fact the site mentions that this is 8.3 version for some reason....

When installed appears in device manager display adapters the version I told before. This version works in any supported resolution if SP1 is not installed...

I think I´ll have to reinstall windows vista in my computer to have the 1920 x 1200 resolution....

About the laptop HP Pavilion I didn´t see the HP site. I´ll check if there is any patch. But up to now I didn´t noticed any problem.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 6:08 PM
  •  

Today some updates were available in windows update and the problem of resolution was solved!!!
    Wednesday, April 09, 2008 1:09 AM

All replies

• There's almost totally nothing usable to help identify the problem based on the information in your post.

Used to work at 1920x1200

Doesn't now.

What graphics card do you have?

What version of the driver is installed?

Did you uninstall the original driver before attempting to upgrade to the latest one?

You said you "tried" to update the driver, not that you "did" update the driver. Did the upgrade fail?

Monday, April 07, 2008 7:20 PM
  • You are right. The real resolution was 1920x1200. As it doesn´t work anymore I didn´t know if it was 1900 or 1920.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 12:40 AM
  •  

You are right. The real resolution was 1920x1200. As it doesn´t work anymore I didn´t know if it was 1900 or 1920.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 12:43 AM
  • I forgot to say that I tried to uninstall the SP1 and after the message "Step 3 - 100% done" appears another message: "error uninstalling SP1 - Reverting uninstalling".

In other words...I can´t uninstall SP1...

The funny thing is that in my laptop (HP Pavilion) SP1 is working perfectly till now.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 12:49 AM
  • I note you say you are using version 8.4x, though I could not locate it on ATI's site. Catalyst 8.3 is the latest they show.

Maybe they updated the drivers in the package but still called it catalyst 8.3

I also see you are mentioning that you have the HP Pavilion. Have you combed through the HP support pages to see if they issued a patch or update for SP1?

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 1:12 PM
  • The file I used to install the driver is in  https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/gamesite/8-3_vista32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_59752.exe

In fact the site mentions that this is 8.3 version for some reason....

When installed appears in device manager display adapters the version I told before. This version works in any supported resolution if SP1 is not installed...

I think I´ll have to reinstall windows vista in my computer to have the 1920 x 1200 resolution....

About the laptop HP Pavilion I didn´t see the HP site. I´ll check if there is any patch. But up to now I didn´t noticed any problem.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 6:08 PM
  •  

Today some updates were available in windows update and the problem of resolution was solved!!!
    Wednesday, April 09, 2008 1:09 AM
  • Can you tell me what updates have you installed ? I have the same porblem with my resolution, even latest drivers intalled.

Thanx.
    Sunday, May 04, 2008 8:07 PM
  • Well, In fact I don´t know. But I tried to look for history updates in my computer and I think it is the KB938371 

Please, let me know i this was the correct packet.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 4:49 AM
  •  

Hi,

i have the same problem.

I was working with vista at 1600x1200.

After the update to SP1 my resolution is 1024x768 max.

I have tried to format my pc with Vista with SP1 and installed the drivers of my graphic with ati drivers 8.5 and its the same thing... 1024x768. if i remove the drivers from ati i can have my resolution 1400x1050 but is not enough.

I need ati drivers installed and a resolution at 1600x1200.

Anyone can help?!

Regards

Monday, June 09, 2008 2:24 PM