none
KB898461

Question

• I was install Windows XP with SP3 Slipstreamed one week ago. Yesterday, Microsoft Update is automatic download update KB898461. This update is very old such i have SP3, if this update required to me? Of what avail it is serve?

Thursday, May 29, 2008 9:41 PM

All replies

•  

Hey Dejan

Looking at the documentation. The version included with Sp3 is  "6.1.22.4 "

1.) I would check the version of the numbers included in this Sp3 notes.Available here. If the signatures are Microsoft. Excalty. There should be no problem.

Update.exe.ref
    Updspapi.dll.ref
    Spuninst.exe.ref
    Spcustom.dll.ref

Spmsg.dll.ref 6.3.0013.0

Spupdsvc.exe.ref 6.3.0013.0

2)a) How ever I would consider doing a malware scan, and an root kit scanner.

b) And also possibly check the %windir%\svcpack.log to see if there were any errors.

c) Also checking the \%windir%\system32\WindowsUpdate.log to see why the Kb was re-installed.

d) I would also look in the $hg_mig$\folder to check the sources of the Kb. If the Cat is signed by microsoft

3) You could also run the system verifier /reset from a command window.

4) Alternatively you can also re-install over your installation. If you suspect malware.

Disadvantage you need to have your Sata driver available on a floppy disk.

Hopefully this will help you out.

Keith

Friday, May 30, 2008 1:50 AM
  • All files is version 6.1.22.4. All log is ok, but myself occupy if update is regularly or is error of Microsoft. That day was too download update KB942763...  Of what avail it is?

Friday, May 30, 2008 5:33 PM
  • Why Windows update was download and install update KB898461 on my Windows XP SP 3 who was install from Slipstreamed cd from zero. In the wednesday was install and i install Windows one week ago, thereupon was not exist this update...

Best regards!

Friday, May 30, 2008 6:38 PM
  • Why Windows update was downloaded and install KB898461 and KB942763 update on my Windows XP SP 3 who was installed from Slipstreamed cd from zero. First day was installed all necacery updates and later, after caple days MU was offered me KB898461 and KB942763 updates. In the list of SP 3 notes on the website, stay both update...?
    Best regards!

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:00 PM
  • Update KB898461 is insalled on my PC! I have SP3 update on my PC. I wont to uninstall this update from add/remove, because you sed that this update KB898461 is not naccessery for SP3?

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 2:46 PM