none
NET VIEW command not showing network PCs

Question

• I have a project that uses PSEXEC, but the command tells me it can't find network path to target PC.  I tried using NET VIEW command and was surprised to see that none of my PCs are listed, only Router and WHS.  I have no networking problems so I'm stumped as to why NET VIEW is not behaving.

Anybody have thoughts as to why NET VIEW command will not list my network PCs.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:24 PM

Answers

• I have Psexec working now.  The trick was to enable the Administrator account on the target computer, not just using a User account with Administrator privledges.

• Marked as answer by satwar1 Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:40 PM
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:40 PM

All replies

• In order to see other Windows 7 (along with Vista and the soon Windows 8), you must have enabled the "Turn on network discovery" option.  If, however, are have an Active Directory with DNS, then this is not required as DNS would take over name resolution.  The screen shot below if from Windows 8 CP, but Windows 7 is similar.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:59 PM
  • I seem to have solved by adding LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy to registry.   Now on to getting PSEXEC to work.  I'm afraid it may be very difficult to figure out.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:36 PM
  • I seem to have solved by adding LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy to registry.   Now on to getting PSEXEC to work.  I'm afraid it may be very difficult to figure out.

I use PSEXEC all of the time and have never had to do any registry hacks.  Are these workgroup based computes are domain members?  Do you have admit rights?  Are you sure your firewalls are not the issue?  Check these fundamental items first before messing with registry values.  What you are trying to do is very possible and is done every day.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:49 AM
  • I have a small home network (workgroup)

I have an administrator account  on all computers

I have temporarily turned off firewalls on both machines with no improvement

I have disconnected both computers from Homegroup feature

I have hacked two registry keys AutoShareWks =1 and LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy =1 on the target computer.  The hacks have stopped the "can not find path" and "ensure admin$ is enabled" error messages

The desired process (c:\windows\notepad.exe) does not run on the target computer

Psexec seems to run somewhat but does not return to the command prompt, acting like it has hung up.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Hi,

Please check whether you can access the remote files via Explorer.

Also, please disable UAC on both computers for a test.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 16, 2012 8:26 AM
  • I have Psexec working now.  The trick was to enable the Administrator account on the target computer, not just using a User account with Administrator privledges.

• Marked as answer by satwar1 Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:40 PM
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:40 PM