none
Dell Latitude D510 not compatible.

General discussion

• I installed both the Beta and RC versions of Win 7 on my laptop, a Dell Latitude D510 with the same results.  Frequent blue screen crashes.  Sometimes the computer would have just been sitting there doing nothing for quite a while and crash.  My investigation revealed not only were there no compatible audio or video drivers, none were ever provided for Vista!  Tech support at Dell told me they had no plans to provide new drivers for the D510 and I needed to contact Microsoft at 1-800-892-5234.  That number turned out to be some sort of data line.

When I upgraded my desktop to Vista I had to buy a new scanner and my web cam would no longer work.  The manufactures informed me I would have to buy new hardware; new hardware nearly identical to the old hardware which offered no improvement in features or performance other than they would work on Vista.  Now if I want to utilize the latest and greatest operating system, I am to put my laptop, along with the scanner and web cam in a landfill and buy new hardware.  None of these items were/are over three years old. 

This is a racket being run by the hardware manufactures, forcing us to buy new hardware rather than write new drivers because they make a better profit.  The "Green" initiative certainly is of no importance to the computer industry.  I have contacted my U.S. Senator and asked him to introduce legislation requiring hardware manufactures to support their products for ten years, and at the end of that time accept back, free of charge, that hardware for proper disposal.

I have re-installed XP on my D510 and my web cam now resides there.  I did have to buy a new scanner but the old one I gave to my daughter as her Dell laptop will not run Vista either.

Vista on my desktop is great (except for it's need for 50% of my RAM) and when WIN 7 was working on my laptop I liked it very much. 
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 2:09 PM

All replies

• Works Fine For Me No Blue Screen And I Used The Dell Windows Xp Drivers For The Video And Audio Just Exstract drivers with winrar from dell-driver.exe then Manualy Fined Them With Device Manager as for you blue screen if it still hapens i sugest you download hirens boot cd and test all your hardware

Ram
    Cd Drive
    Hard Drive
    Motherboard
    Cpu 

ps: i used windows7 non beta v7100
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:02 PM
  • mine works fine still cant find a driver for my video card. I did upgrade my computer 2 gb of ram so it moves really fast now but the damn dirver for my video card is pissing me off all an all it still runs normal even without the video card.
    Saturday, June 04, 2011 7:12 PM
  • an to run all the other junk on vista or windows 7 u have to create a virtual driver that will run it on windows 7 google it thats how i found out how to do that an save money lol

Saturday, June 04, 2011 7:14 PM