none
Workgroup invisibility

Question

• HELP!!

My Vista os is invisible in the workgroup, and it's blind too.

Other PC's (running  XP) can see each other just fine.  But the Vista machine cannot be seen by them, and cannot see them.

The Network folder in Win Explorer shows only itself.

The on-line help page, helpfully, tells me how to make sure the workgroup name is the same -- which it is.  But stops there.  It DOESN'T tell me what to do when it's already the same, but I still can't get to or share any files.

It's the same with and without the Firewall.

They are sharing an internet connection, so it's not the wiring.

I'm about to send the box back and ask 'em to put XP on it. 

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 11:53 PM

All replies

• I suspect your issue has to do with the browser mechanism on Vista. Its possible that there is a fight between the XP machines and Vista machines about the master browser. If your network is small enough, you should consider shutting down the other machines then rebooting vista and then turn on the other machines. I'm sure there is a shortcut but you might try that while someone gets around to answering this question.

Can anyone point to documentation about the browser mechanisms in Vista? I can't find real information on the vista site that discusses any changes here.

Most importantly, i would like to know if Vista can solves browser issues across subnets. If I had a vista machine on each subnet would that solve my browsing problems across subnets or do I need to install a server with wins?

Thursday, February 01, 2007 7:11 PM
  •  

try this: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=70582

installer on your XP machines

reboot everything, and it should work. It did for me.

OK

Friday, February 02, 2007 9:43 PM