Upgrade to "Windows 8.1 Enterprise": no option to keep apps and settings

Question

• At my current job I'm working on a Windows 8.1 app.  I have been running Windows 8.1 in a virtual machine, but since Microsoft released "Windows 8.1 Enterprise" RTM on MSDN today, I decided to download the ISO and attempt an upgrade on the metal.  

This will speed up my development environment and help me be a bit more productive.

Current system: Windows 8 Enterprise x64 (RTM)
    ISO Downloaded: Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 (RTM)

When I run the 8.1 installer I get two options: "Keep Files" or "Nothing".

Does anyone know why I am not seeing an option to "Keep apps, settings, and files" when upgrading from "Windows 8 Enterprise" to "Windows 8.1 Enterprise"?

Is there a group policy that needs to be set?

Our IT Dept. has a migration plan to upgrade to Windows 8.1, but it might take a while, so any help will be appreciated.  Feel free to move this to another forum, if this is not the correct one.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:21 AM

Answers

• The Windows 8.1 Enterprise ISO's on MSDN/TechNet were not intended for upgrades...clean installs only.  You need to be patient and wait for the availability of the Windows 8.1 Update standalone installer to be released by Microsoft, most likely on October 18, 2013.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by Emmanuel Huna Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:57 AM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:25 AM

All replies

• Does anyone from Microsoft have any ideas?

We have thousands of Windows devices - does this mean we have to re-install apps and we lose settings when upgrading from "Windows 8 Enterprise" to "Windows 8.1 Enterprise"  for every one of them?

That would be a nightmare and probably make us reconsider our usage of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:09 AM
  • The Windows 8.1 Enterprise ISO's on MSDN/TechNet were not intended for upgrades...clean installs only.  You need to be patient and wait for the availability of the Windows 8.1 Update standalone installer to be released by Microsoft, most likely on October 18, 2013.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by Emmanuel Huna Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:57 AM
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:25 AM
  • There's no indication on MSDN that the ISO is for clean installs only - I can be patient and wait. :)

Thanks for clarifying.

@ehuna

Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:58 AM
  • On one laptop and one Surface Pro, I upgraded to "Windows 8.1 Pro" RTM and I was able to keep all my files, apps, and settings.

Why is "Windows 8.1 Enterprise" on MSDN available for clean install only?

Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:39 PM
  • I had the same issue trying to upgrade windows 8 to 8.1 with the msdn .iso file. Would not let me perform an upgrade, worse yet, doesn't tell you anything meaningful just that it was not able to install and reverted back to your previous settings. Come on Microsoft, how about a little information here????
    Thursday, October 03, 2013 12:05 AM
  • I just experienced today the same issue. I wanted to upgrade my Win 8 Ent to Win 8.1 ent. I have the ISO from TechNet. A little information would have been indeed helpful.

In my case I have a German language pack installed and I thought this might be the reason.

Thanks,

Edy

Edy from Switzerland

Saturday, October 12, 2013 11:44 AM