none
How do I give access to all computers on my windows 7 network

Question

• I have a network.  The purpose of a network is to allow me to share files over it.  BUT the idiots at microsoft that designed their network system decided to shut the whole thing down so not only is it impossible to access anything but the method to allow anyone access is so arcane that despite spending hours changing every setting I can find to say "YES access me!", I still get the other computers saying 'get lost' or in microsoft speak 'access denied'.

I sort of wonder whose computer it is.  I bought it.  I set it up.  But I can't access half the files.  If there is a kind soul out there that can explain to me the principle of allowing access to other computers I will be forever grateful.

We don't bother with passwords (we don't need them) and I have discovery on, password protection off, 'everyone' has permission to do everything, I've performed voodoo rites over the computers.  What else can I do?

Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

you may change the LAN manager authentication level to Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated for a test:

open your group policy editor:

Computer Configuration - Windows Settings - Security Settings - Local Policies - Security Options

Network security: LAN Manager authentication level

You may need to change this to Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated for the most compatibility

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 14, 2013 8:01 AM