none
Physical memory is being completely consumed for no obvious reasons in Windows 7 ultimate!??!?

Question

• Using Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Not the newest of computers, just an older Compaq one I had around but has a 300 gb HDD and 3 gigs ram.

It's been working completely fine for about half a year but as of yesterday when I log in there's about a 2 minute grace period until BAM! I can't run ANYTHING and the physical memory jumps between 90 and 98% Everything tends to work smoothly in safemode with and without networking and I've run every single anti-anything I've seen or used before (seriously.... MBAM, Hitman, spybot, tdss killer, rogue killer, security checker even though it's basically useless in safemode etc...)... I've checked startup in msconfig and there are literally only 7 things listed and they're all typical. When I do manage to get task manager open before the things stop opening everything looks normal. Even after memory decides it wants to rocket through my roof everything looks normal OTHER than the memory..... Will post any specs requested if I can.... Any and all help is appreciated.

Note: The only thing recently downloaded was Foobar to play music. I've also noticed I am behind a service pack which I can't update because of this problem....
    Friday, January 25, 2013 9:29 AM

Answers

• The problem was with Update.... Update was trying to download like
    1245364 updates at once and install them... Turned off auto and
    downloaded them directly from the site and the problem seems to have
    been resolved.  Thanks for all the help guys.
    • Marked as answer by Jbomber215 Saturday, February 02, 2013 12:50 AM
    Saturday, February 02, 2013 12:50 AM

All replies

• can we get a snip of the task manager performance tab sorted by memory with all files and folders showing?

Upload it to skydrive or a file sharing service and leave a link to it in your next post.

To get to task manager hit ctrl+alt+delete>then click task manager.  It should look something like this (this is win 8 not win 7)

https://gtipjg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pD13MuSEiL0ViQ2p0e9Ch4N8hNlu9IjQk8ccLDI0ngRBeVudIJEV-p0COhJ6lEVx9OpSQX7kpVAEWAal9VX-vlwlvxccBGNIE/Task%20manager.jpg?psid=1

How to use skydrive

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Team ZigZag

Saturday, January 26, 2013 1:33 AM

• Hi,

Please check the issue with clean boot:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:01 AM
  • Hi Jbomber215.

First try to give us the task manager snapshot that ZigZag asked for please. 

Otherwise you can always...

Get Task Manager open and click the "Processes" tab, then click "View", then select "Select Columns...", then in the dialog box, tick "Memory - Working Set". This will show the true RAM usage.

Other than that, have you recently made any page file changes or installed new programs even weeks prior to your issue?

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:51 PM
  • Ugh.... The site is having "Temporary Problems" confirming I am a person so I cannot upload pictures or post links at this time... I will do so as it becomes available. The only recent change made was a prank my brother pulled when he changed the background of the log on screen to be his face, which I know require and registry edit, but in Win7 it's extremely easy and I checked it and nothing was wrong with what he did....

• Edited by Jbomber215 Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:54 AM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:51 AM
  • The problem persists after a clean boot.
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:00 AM
  • My account still hasn't been verified so I can't post links or pictures. The confirmation site is having "Temporary Problems"

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:16 AM
  • I have (after finally getting the resource monitor open in time) noticed that scvhost.exe (netsvc) is eating up nearly 80% of the memory. What might be causing this?
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:39 AM
  • The problem was with Update.... Update was trying to download like
    1245364 updates at once and install them... Turned off auto and
    downloaded them directly from the site and the problem seems to have
    been resolved.  Thanks for all the help guys.
    • Marked as answer by Jbomber215 Saturday, February 02, 2013 12:50 AM
    Saturday, February 02, 2013 12:50 AM