none
Titlebar font color change only appears in Normal window sizes

Question

• I recently began using Win7 and have tried changing the font color for Active Windows.  The color change only displays when the active window is not maximized.  Is this a bug or is there some "secret" place that the change needs to be made to be visible on maximized windows?  I've seen a similar question asked elsewhere but it was unresolved at the time I read it.  I have changed the color to white so that the text can be seen when using any dark color for the titlebar backcolor.  Black text on a dark bluish backcolor is quite difficult to see.  Any suggestions are most welcome!  TIA

:)

Doug

SEARCH ... then ask
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:45 AM

Answers

• Hi there,

Do you mean the change on “Active Title Bar” font color did not work once the active window is maximized?

I think you are using Aero theme now. If you change to an theme without Aero, you will find this setting is always working. Personally, I prefer to use Windows 7 basic theme (non-Aero) and set default “Blank” color for “Active Title Bar” font without this problem.

What do you think about it?

• Marked as answer by _-Steve-_ Monday, January 25, 2010 11:43 PM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:45 AM
  • I believe this is a bug in Windows 7, it's been in these forums a few times.  The only workaround is to not use Aero (ouch) or use a 3rd party skinning program like StarDock's Window Blinds.

Keep in mind that, if your computer was designed for Windows Vista or Windows 7 (has compatible graphics hardware), turning off Aero can cause poor performance, display artificating when you move or resize a window, and (because you'll be using the older 1980's GDI desktop drawing technology), can cause programs to be more susceptible to drawing errors or crashes, even blue screens system crashes.

Unlike Windows XP, the 'eye candy' in Vista and 7 are handled by your graphics card memory and GPU, not your CPU.  Utilizing Aero leaves your main CPU free to perform better.  Plus, the CPU and OS never have to ask a program to "draw itself again" when it becomes visible, because the graphics engine already had it in memory.  Lastly, Aero gives you many advantages such as live previews and a much faster performing computer (on compatible hardware).

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi there,

Do you mean the change on “Active Title Bar” font color did not work once the active window is maximized?

I think you are using Aero theme now. If you change to an theme without Aero, you will find this setting is always working. Personally, I prefer to use Windows 7 basic theme (non-Aero) and set default “Blank” color for “Active Title Bar” font without this problem.

Monday, January 25, 2010 7:45 AM
  • I believe this is a bug in Windows 7, it's been in these forums a few times.  The only workaround is to not use Aero (ouch) or use a 3rd party skinning program like StarDock's Window Blinds.

Keep in mind that, if your computer was designed for Windows Vista or Windows 7 (has compatible graphics hardware), turning off Aero can cause poor performance, display artificating when you move or resize a window, and (because you'll be using the older 1980's GDI desktop drawing technology), can cause programs to be more susceptible to drawing errors or crashes, even blue screens system crashes.

Unlike Windows XP, the 'eye candy' in Vista and 7 are handled by your graphics card memory and GPU, not your CPU.  Utilizing Aero leaves your main CPU free to perform better.  Plus, the CPU and OS never have to ask a program to "draw itself again" when it becomes visible, because the graphics engine already had it in memory.  Lastly, Aero gives you many advantages such as live previews and a much faster performing computer (on compatible hardware).

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:36 AM

• Hi there,

Hello Gordon

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, as my thread title states, I mean the Active Titlebar text color.  I should have made that more clear in the body of my question.  Changing to a non-Aero theme would defeat one of the purposes for my switch to Win7, so that option is off the table.

Doug

SEARCH ... then ask
    Monday, January 25, 2010 4:30 PM

Shawn,

I had a feeling it might be a bug with Aero.  Since the capabilities of Aero is what prompted me to make the switch from XP, I'm not of a mind to turn it off just for this one small problem.  We can rule out a hardware incompatibility.  I built this machine myself, and all the hardware is 100% compatible.  It's just very annoying having to squint to see the active titlebar text when a window is maximized, and users of applications I develop in C# and VB.NET have mentioned the same thing.  Hopefully, this bug (if it is in fact a bug) will be patched soon!  I did make many attempts to find information about this in the forum here, but evidently never used the correct search terms.

Thanks for your reply and the info!

Doug

SEARCH ... then ask
    Monday, January 25, 2010 4:40 PM
  • In the blog post, I know the engineers mentioned that that they specifically made changes in 7 to ensure that your glass color is maintained when you maximize a window.  But it seems that when they removed the code that was causing the glass to change when maximized, they failed to remove the part that changes the title bar color.

I can't be sure, but I would say it's highly likely to be a bug.

Monday, January 25, 2010 8:49 PM
  • Hi Doug,

I agree with you that this might be a bug in Aero. Currently, have you try WindowBlinds as a work around, or can you find another color better maching the current theme you are using?

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:22 AM
  • anyone know if this will be possible in windows 7 SP1?
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 8:01 AM
  • anyone know if this will be possible in windows 7 SP1?

Sadly, the problem is still the same with (Windows 7 Professional x64) SP1 :(

• Edited by catnksf8 Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:33 PM !
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:54 PM
  • Yes, we have many systems running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 bits. Some just got SP1 upgraded.

Often, the systems booted up unable to display double-byte Asian characters in the active title bar. But sometimes, reboot the system will display back to normal again. But, many times, the problem persists.  Please tell me is there work around to fix this?

BTW, we stop further SP1 roll out for other departments.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 1:37 AM
  • I recently began using Win7 and have tried changing the font color for Active Windows.  The color change only displays when the active window is not maximized.  Is this a bug or is there some "secret" place that the change needs to be made to be visible on maximized windows?  I've seen a similar question asked elsewhere but it was unresolved at the time I read it.  I have changed the color to white so that the text can be seen when using any dark color for the titlebar backcolor.  Black text on a dark bluish backcolor is quite difficult to see.  Any suggestions are most welcome!  TIA

Doug

SEARCH ... then ask

Just wondering if anyone has found a successful fix for this annoying bug.  While many of my Windows 7 apps don't feature titlebar text, I like a lot of users often use programs originally developed for earlier versions of windows which in most cases do feature titlebar text, and it would be very very nice to be able to read what that text says without having to switch to a different theme altogether to do so.  When my applications are viewed non-maximized the text is perfectly readable (I set it to a very light gray so it's easy on the eyes without being too bright), but when I maximize that same window the titlebar text switches to black making it difficult to read against the very dark gray background of the titlebar area that my current theme displays (I wanted a fairly high contrast so I chose a dark theme and set the text to a light color).

Anyway thanks to anyone who can help me with this,

Aeronya

Sunday, February 26, 2012 9:05 PM
  • Thanks to this thread at Sevenforums with Bongo's Aero modifications I was able to figure out where to change the colour:

Make a copy of your original aero.msstyles and open it with a hex editor such as HxD, the window title text colour values are stored at 0x315F8 and 0x31698: Change 00 00 00 to FF FF FF (or any other RGB hex colour you like).

Now change your style to Aero Basic or Classic and log off & log back in. Copy the modified aero.msstyles over the original and apply Aero.

• Edited by catnksf8 Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:33 PM add screenshots
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:26 PM