none
Where do I place Windows 7 Update Files for updating Windows 7 on multiple PC's

Question

• Hi all

We have 5 desktop PC's and 1 Laptop running a mix of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and 32 bit.  All of the PC's are in need of several Windows 7 and Office 2010 updates, of which we have had updates turned off for the past 12+ months, therefore there is quite a few updates that needed to be downloaded and installed.

Unfortunately our bandwidth for our internet connection is limited as we can only get a small amount of data each month from our ISP Telstra/Bigpond in Australia.

I have therefore downloaded manually each and every update for Windows 7 from the SP1 to now, and Office 2010 SP1 to now, yes that is/was heaps of files :P

I now want to be able to put those Windows 7 and Office 2010 updates into an update folder that each PC can access and use to update each PC.

We have a local NAS using FreeNAS (8) to which I have set up a shared folder containing all of the update files.

My question is where do I copy these updates to on each PC so that when I run WIndows/Microsoft Update it will find those files and install them as necessary, meaning they do not re-download the same files.

Thanks for your help

GW

Saturday, September 22, 2012 11:06 PM

All replies

• I would run the WSUS and then the computer would be able to find updates on the WSUS server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb332157.aspx

Other then that there is no way to force the Windows Updates to find the files in one location.

However you can create logon script for computers that checks if the updates are installed and then if not force the install.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 1:15 PM
  • To use WSUS I need a Windows server though correct? Which I do not have.  Is there a way I can set-up WSUS on my desktop PC (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) and have the other PC's access it from there?

Not sure what you mean by the last sentence in relation to creating a login script.

Why is it not possible for Windows update to access files already downloaded?  Surely Windows update checks for the files locally before they download them?

Really need help please.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:58 AM
  • Can I use Windows Home Server 2011 to share the files for windows update?

Thanks

GW

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:25 AM
  • Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:07 AM
  • Hi,

I am just writing to check the status of this thread. Was the information provided in previous reply helpful to you?

Regards,

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:57 AM
  • Answer maybe, but does this mean that unless I have Windows Server there is NO way I can manually use the downloaded windows update files?

I have manually downloaded every Windows 7 update from your site and I now want to use those updates on each of our 6 PC's.

Can I place them in each PC's C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder?

If I do put all the updates downloaded into that folder (for each PC) and then use each PC's Windows update function, will it find those updates in that folder and use them or will it download each update again?

We are on a mobile Internet service only as we can not get a wired connection, our monthly download quota is too small for us to download and update each PC automatically and individually.  That is why I have downloaded all the updates once and want to use them on all of the PC's.

Having to create a Windows Home Server to do the updates via that might be a solution but its not at all practical

Thanks for your help

Sunday, February 03, 2013 12:43 AM
  • No there is no answer for this other than a need to set up another PC as a Windows Home Server... which is not really a solution unless you have a decent spare PC lying around.  It might be what I will have to end up doing, but a solution other than having to do that would be more helpfull

As per my post above....

'I have manually downloaded every Windows 7 update from your site and I now want to use those updates on each of our 6 PC's.

Can I place them in each PC's C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder?

If I do put all the updates downloaded into that folder (for each PC) and then use each PC's Windows update function, will it find those updates in that folder and use them or will it download each update again?

We are on a mobile Internet service only as we can not get a wired connection, our monthly download quota is too small for us to download and update each PC automatically and individually.  That is why I have downloaded all the updates once and want to use them on all of the PC's.
    Having to create a Windows Home Server to do the updates via that might be a solution but its not at all practical'

Thanks for your help

Sunday, February 03, 2013 12:46 AM
  • I would not recommand doing that. (Can I place them in each PC's C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder?)

This will probably result in corruption of windows update agent.

Instead put the files in the shared network location and try to execute them that way for example with a script as scheduled task.

User at your own risk, i did not verify if this works:
    http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/125731-pushing-a-kb-patch-to-multiple-computers-via-script/
    • Edited by Brano Lukic Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:50 PM
    Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:48 PM