none
Ubuntu 10.04 Installation Using Virtual PC hosted on Windows 7 pro x86

Question

• I am trying to install ubuntu under virtual pc but nothing seems happening. Is Virtual PC is only compatible with or supports MS OSs or is there any provision to install other distro's (like Solaris / Linux).  If it supports can you point me to right link to get detailed instructions of installation.

Thanks

PSSR72

Monday, May 17, 2010 8:49 AM

Answers

All replies

• I am trying to install ubuntu under virtual pc but nothing seems happening. Is Virtual PC is only compatible with or supports MS OSs or is there any provision to install other distro's (like Solaris / Linux).  If it supports can you point me to right link to get detailed instructions of installation.

Thanks

PSSR72

Hay I also faced the same problem with my Virtual PC... Its 64bit.... It Turns Off after the boot screen.. So i thought of installing Vista & check... I thought something wrong with my software.. But Vista worked perfectly..... So after seeing this i started a research & what i have found is that the Microsoft Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7 is not compatible with other operating systems(Non-Microsoft OS)... So we can't install Ubuntu in Windows Virtual PC.... But luckly i was able to find a third party software which allows Ubuntu... & It seems like a good Virtalization Software..... Im Just started to download & i dnt have further details about it....

However here's the link to it... Its Freee.....

http://www.virtualbox.org

Have Fun!!!

Good Luck!!!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 9:27 AM
  • Hi PSSR72,

I try the same thing and not work. like Chamatg Fernando said the best choice is to use VirtualBox or VMWARE Server are both free.

Cheers

• Proposed as answer by JdCardoso86 Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:35 PM
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:15 PM
  • Hi PSSR72,

I try the same thing and not work. like Chamatg Fernando said the best choice is to use VirtualBox or VMWARE Server are both free.

Cheers

:)

Dear, I have tried the VirtualBox but i was unable to download VMWARE...

Can you link me up....

I just wanted to Check that VM....

Thanks in Advance... :)

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:12 PM
  • https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=server20&lp=1

first you need to register. After that make the download of the application. VMWARE will send to your email the KEY of the product.

Cheers

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:34 PM
  • Thanks Buddy....

Downloading..... :)

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 5:01 PM
  • nevermind...

strange, ubuntu forums say you can do it and other people are...

found a solution,

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1466888

cheers, -Geoff

Saturday, June 05, 2010 5:23 AM
  • I have windows 7 pro, and had the same problem, and i just disable the hardware virtualization and i could install and run ubuntu, but runs very slow
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 12:34 AM