none
Fuming!! How do I get Windows 8.1 off my PC

Question

• In all my years of working with MS products I have never installed something so poor.

My PC has slowed down, some my apps don't work, and my virtual machines are crashing.

But luckily I created a System Image before upgrading, just in case I ran into problems.

Because I thought that would that would be a sensible thing to do?

Until I found out that the clever people at Microsoft have prevented you from going back to your old O/S!!!

Now, if I attempt to use System Image Recovery I get a message telling me "That I am using the wrong version of System Image Recovery for the Image that I am trying to recover!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

How can I get it off?

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First, please know that you can’t use your Windows 8 system image on Windows 8.1 because essentially, it’s a different operating system.

If you are surely to get back to Windows 8, you have to replace Windows 8.1 with a fresh installation of Windows 8 using your original installation media or the ones you created prior to upgrading.

Then to get back to your system backup image, please enter the recovery environment by holding on left [SHIFT] key and select Restart.

Then go to Troubleshoot, Advanced Options, and finally System Image Recovery. You will need to choose the target operating system; select Windows 8.  Make sure the drive containing the system recovery image is connected, select the image you want to restore, proceed to the Next window, click Finish and confirm that you want to continue.

Windows should now re-image your computer and if all goes well, you will be back in your old Windows 8 setup in just under a day.

Hope these could be helpful.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:25 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Kate.

I can get out of this. But it will take a lot of rework. Your suggestion is good, but right now I wouldn't trust Microsoft on anything.

My advise to anyone would be this.

Take a partition image of your system drive prior to upgrading to 8.1 using a third party tool. Acronis, Ghost etc. Save the image on a fixed/removable or network drive. 

Upgrade to 8.1 

If you run into problems, restore the system drive back from the image that you created earlier on.

Total time to restore the image would be far quicker than having to re-install Windows 8 again and recovering the PC from a Microsoft System Image.

I've only attempted to upgrade one PC.

But what if I had 30 to do?

MS should have learnt by now that dissimilar hardware can be your greatest challenge to a successful product.  

They should have incorporated a solution to revert back to your old O/S without having to perform a fresh installation and an additional recovery step.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:34 AM

All replies

• Take your computer to someone that Knows how to.
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:36 AM
  • I am an IT Technician by trade. So I don't think I should have many problems there. The problem is I shouldn't have to go to these lengths.

I have weeks of work on my PC and I can't afford to rebuild my PC from scratch and re-install all the applications.

MS have also implemented something in Windows 8 that prevents or stuffs up people machines from booting from untrusted media. So now I can't even boot my PC from a USB/DVD.

I wouldn't mind if I had a EUFI BIOS, but I don't, so in theory Secure Booting shouldn't even work on my system.

So it's something to do with Windows 8 that is causing that issue because it worked fine on Windows 7.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:55 AM
  • Microsoft need to sort this out.
    • Edited by midi25 Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:02 PM error
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:22 PM
  • Hi,

First, please know that you can’t use your Windows 8 system image on Windows 8.1 because essentially, it’s a different operating system.

If you are surely to get back to Windows 8, you have to replace Windows 8.1 with a fresh installation of Windows 8 using your original installation media or the ones you created prior to upgrading.

Then to get back to your system backup image, please enter the recovery environment by holding on left [SHIFT] key and select Restart.

Then go to Troubleshoot, Advanced Options, and finally System Image Recovery. You will need to choose the target operating system; select Windows 8.  Make sure the drive containing the system recovery image is connected, select the image you want to restore, proceed to the Next window, click Finish and confirm that you want to continue.

Windows should now re-image your computer and if all goes well, you will be back in your old Windows 8 setup in just under a day.

Hope these could be helpful.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:25 AM
  • "...and if all goes well, you will be back in your old Windows 8 setup in just under a day."

and then just under it there is a little advertisement that says: "IT Pros' Time Saver"

I am sorry to be blunt but this is truly hilarious !

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:45 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Kate.

I can get out of this. But it will take a lot of rework. Your suggestion is good, but right now I wouldn't trust Microsoft on anything.

My advise to anyone would be this.

Take a partition image of your system drive prior to upgrading to 8.1 using a third party tool. Acronis, Ghost etc. Save the image on a fixed/removable or network drive. 

Upgrade to 8.1 

If you run into problems, restore the system drive back from the image that you created earlier on.

Total time to restore the image would be far quicker than having to re-install Windows 8 again and recovering the PC from a Microsoft System Image.

I've only attempted to upgrade one PC.

But what if I had 30 to do?

MS should have learnt by now that dissimilar hardware can be your greatest challenge to a successful product.  

They should have incorporated a solution to revert back to your old O/S without having to perform a fresh installation and an additional recovery step.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:34 AM
  • A day!!

And after that would you trust to attempt it again?

All this for what?

• A silly Start Icon because people cant understand how to navigate to the right of their screen?
    • A couple of fancy coloured tiles.
    • A bit or re-wording and helpful prompts.  

How are MS ever going to transition anything in the future now?

Are we going to get a new O/S, or multiple ways of performing a task when someone doesn't like something?

What they should have done is made 8.1 and given users the option to install the features they want.  

eg: By creating optional Windows features.

• 8.1 Features

- Fancy tiles

- Easy support

• Legacy Features

- Start Icon  

Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:58 AM