none
Can't log in to Windows 7 - system exhibits strange behavior after typing in password

Question

• When I get to the log-in screen for Windows 7, I am able to type my password into the box. Then, when I hit enter or click the arrow icon, nothing happens. All of the icons on the login screen become unresponsive, but I am still able to move the mouse around and type in the password box. I cannot go to any other screen. If I just leave it alone at this point, eventually the laptop will go into sleep mode, and, upon waking up the computer, the same thing happens. As a result, I am unable to start Windows normally.

I can log into the computer using Safe Mode with Networking. I tried that in the hope that I would be able to do System Restore. The problem is that the system claims there are no previous restore points that I can use, even though I have used System Restore in the past.

So now I am stuck. What can I do that I have not tried yet with having to resort to a re-image?

P.S. I am using a Lenovo W500 ThinkPad (about 2.5 years old) with Windows 7 Enterprise. My account is the only one on the computer and I am the administrator.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Most of this type issues are caused by the third party programs. Maybe some services of 3rd party programs cannot be loaded.

As we still can boot in Safe Mode with Networking, I suggest try Clean Bootfirst to test the issue.

If the issue, persists, we can perform Last Known Good Configurationand Startup Repair.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:25 AM
  • Hello,

1. Are you admin with different name or Administrator? If you are admin with differenet name, then there is possibility to activate the "main" administrator. Try it in Safe Boot mode

net user Administrator /active:yes

Assign password to Administrator

Then try to login with Administrator account and resolve the problem with "admin".

2. Last known boot is helpful only when there is problem with new driver install 

3. There is option in F8 menu, namely to log booting procedure.

4. Look into event logs and reveal here your findings - errors and warnings

5. What you did before this problem occured?

Regards

Milos

Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Most of this type issues are caused by the third party programs. Maybe some services of 3rd party programs cannot be loaded.

As we still can boot in Safe Mode with Networking, I suggest try Clean Bootfirst to test the issue.

If the issue, persists, we can perform Last Known Good Configurationand Startup Repair.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:25 AM
  • Hello,

1. Are you admin with different name or Administrator? If you are admin with differenet name, then there is possibility to activate the "main" administrator. Try it in Safe Boot mode

net user Administrator /active:yes

Assign password to Administrator

Then try to login with Administrator account and resolve the problem with "admin".

2. Last known boot is helpful only when there is problem with new driver install 

3. There is option in F8 menu, namely to log booting procedure.

4. Look into event logs and reveal here your findings - errors and warnings

5. What you did before this problem occured?

Regards

Milos

Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Are you by any chance using Avast Antivirus? I had the same problem, system restore didn't help, but when I uninstalled Avast everything worked as it should. 
    Monday, March 19, 2012 9:39 AM