none
Upgrade from Windows XP/Vista to Windows 7: Product key & language version questions

Question

• Hello,

We currently run 3 PCs at home (all 32 bit):

PC 1: German Windows Vista Home Premium
    PC 2 & 3: English Windows XP Home

I'd like to purchase the Windows 7 family pack (English) to upgrade all of the PCs (clean install preferred).

Questions:

1. Can all 3 PCs be upgraded to the English version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with the family pack, despite the different language versions?
    2. When performing a clean install, is it sufficient to enter the product key of the previously installed system when using the upgrade disk/key or is the old system required on the harddisk?
    3. Just to confirm: The family pack comes with both, the 32 bit and 64 bit version for Windows 7 Home Premium?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 12:54 AM

Answers

• 1.  Yes.

2.  The 'qualifying' install MUST be present on the hard drive.  You will not be able to simply enter the previous product key as verification.

3.  Microsoft has stated that all Windows 7 Retail packs will include both install disks.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 2:18 AM

All replies

• 1.  Yes.

2.  The 'qualifying' install MUST be present on the hard drive.  You will not be able to simply enter the previous product key as verification.

3.  Microsoft has stated that all Windows 7 Retail packs will include both install disks.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 2:18 AM
  • For question 1, in-place upgrade is not supported so that we will need to do a clean install (insert the disk and choose Clean Install) on the Windows Vista German version to upgrade it to Windows 7 English version.

See here.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:17 AM
  • Thanks for all the replies so far.
    In-place update is not important for me as I plan to do clean installs anyways.

What I need to know is if the 64 bit English upgrade version of Windows 7 Home Premium will "accept" my 32 bit German version of Vista Home Premium and allow me to install and activate Windows 7 without any problems, despite the different language and bit versions?

If I understand you correctly, this is the case as long as i perform a clean install.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:19 AM
  • Yes, you will only need to choose the 'Custom' install option, (after you boot to desktop in Vista and run the windows 7 install disk from there) and then select the drive or partition where you wish to place windows 7.  You can choose the same partition that Vista is currently installed to, and your Vista install will be placed in a WINDOWS.OLD folder which you can later remove by choosing 'Previous versions' in Disk Cleanup.  You can first recover any overlooked data from the old install, if need be, by browsing the WINDOWS.OLD folder and copy/pasting stuff to where you want or need it.

The differing language versions will not be an impediment.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:33 AM
  • @ Techwrighter: I actually planned to completely format the existing Vista partition (after letting the Windows 7 upgrade validate that Vista is installed on the PC). Will this still be possible?

1. Boot German Vista 32 bit
    2. Insert English Windows 7 64 bit upgrade DVD
    3. Perform a clean install of Windows 7 without any traces of the previous Vista installation (i.e. no Windows .old folder etc.).
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 8:22 PM
  • No.  You'll be unable to boot from a Windows 7 Upgrade DVD to perform a clean install.
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 8:39 PM
  • No.  You'll be unable to boot from a Windows 7 Upgrade DVD to perform a clean install.
    That needs to be clarified a bit.

You can't do as Raldum suggested with an upgrade disk/key.  The installer won't allow the intended system partition to be 'wiped' after the qualifying install is acknowledged.  The installer won't allow booting from install disk to install on a machine with no OS in place if the install key is an upgrade key.

But 'custom clean' install is effectively as good as what's traditionally been considered to be a 'clean install', and you can boot from install disk to do that.  Matter of fact, if you are using a 64-bit install disk with a 32-bit install on the machine as qualifying OS install, you HAVE to boot from disk to do it.  The 64-bit installer won't run if you launch it from inside a 32-bit install.
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 3:31 AM
  • I have a similar question.  I have the same setup at home but I want to use the Family Pack upgrade to upgrade one English PC to English 64 bit, the second English PC to English 32 bit and the German PC to German 32 bit.  Is this possible?
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:02 PM
  • I had to boot from disk to install home premium 64 bit overtop XP Pro on my bootcamp partition. Everything went smoothly and it placed the old windows in the windows.old folder etc. However now I am stuck since it tells me that my Product Key is invalid :(

Its acting like I didn't do an upgrade, but I did. Now I can't get xp to load or 7.

Woe.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:35 AM
  • @ noison: As far as I know, you cannot upgrade XP Prof. to Windows 7 Home Premium.

XP Home to Windows 7 Home Premium should work fine as well as XP Prof to Windows 7 Prof.

Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:37 AM