none
Copy Profile to Default

Question

• Hello,

In the past (even with W7 Beta), I could create a profile set up to corporate specs, then copy that profile to the Default Profile.  The process went something like this:

1 - Set up profile with corporate settings, links, etc.
    2 - Create dummy admin account.
    3 - Log in to dummy admin account and copy 'set up profile' to the default profile.
    4 - Log out of dummy admin and delete the dummy admin account.

At this point any new logins would have the 'corporate profile' as their starting point.  With W7 RC1, I am unable to copy any profiles to the default.  The 'Copy To' button in 'User Profiles' is grayed out for any dummy admin account I create, as well as for the built-in Administrator account.

How do I go about modifying the default profile?  Is there some new 'best practice' regarding W7?  Just to be clear, I was able to do this in the Beta, but now am unable to do so in the RC.  I'm hoping that there is an alternate method to modify the default user profile as this seems like a serious backstep from the Beta.  I hope this isn't 'by design' as it places a serious crimp in our corporate deployment.
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 8:23 PM

Answers

• Hello Lizard6,
    That scenario that was used to replace the Default User Profile was unsupported in Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 and unsupported in Windows XP.  There were many issues with it in the prior OSes, even though those issues were not always apparent, they did exist and caused inconsistencies and lingering problems.
    This article points to the supported way of updating the Default User profile which is the only profile that should be used to for creation of the new user profile.
    959753 How to customize the default local user profile when you prepare an image of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;959753

Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, May 29, 2009 6:06 PM

All replies

• I've tried using sysprep.exe, but it DOES NOT have the same effect.  In fact, in pretty much erased all of the settings, desktop icons, default bookmarks, computer name and network settings.  As I said before, not being able to copy the configured profile to the 'default profile' is a serious crimp in our proposed deployment to Windows 7.  This worked in the Beta, does not work in the RC.
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 11:47 PM
  • Hello Lizard6,
    That scenario that was used to replace the Default User Profile was unsupported in Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 and unsupported in Windows XP.  There were many issues with it in the prior OSes, even though those issues were not always apparent, they did exist and caused inconsistencies and lingering problems.
    This article points to the supported way of updating the Default User profile which is the only profile that should be used to for creation of the new user profile.
    959753 How to customize the default local user profile when you prepare an image of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003

Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, May 29, 2009 6:06 PM
  • Are you using MDT 2010?

If so, I created a user in AD and used that ID to customize how I wanted the desktop to look.
    I then sysprepped the PC using that ID, captured it to the MDT server and created a custom build.
    In the task sequence OS Info tab, click "Edit Unattend.xml", WSIM will open the file for editing.
    Go to Pass 4 specialize, and select amd64_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_neutral (x86_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_6.1.7100.0_neutral for 32bit machines) and set "CopyProfile" to "true".

Hope that helps.
    • Proposed as answer by brockie Friday, January 06, 2012 9:43 PM
    Friday, May 29, 2009 6:37 PM
  • I need to be able to replace the Defualt with a custom profile as well.
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 4:03 PM
  • I've tried using sysprep.exe, but it DOES NOT have the same effect.  In fact, in pretty much erased all of the settings, desktop icons, default bookmarks, computer name and network settings.  As I said before, not being able to copy the configured profile to the 'default profile' is a serious crimp in our proposed deployment to Windows 7.  This worked in the Beta, does not work in the RC.

Did you modify the unattend.xml as I stated previously?
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 4:45 PM
  • I have not had a chance to try this as I've had other more pressing issues for the last several weeks (a large system migration).  I'll let you know as soon as I get a few free moments.

Friday, July 10, 2009 2:09 PM
  • Here's the steps I've been using to create a default profile:

1. Download/Install the WAIK if you haven't already
    2. Use the WAIK to create an xml file that has the CopyProfile value set to true in the Specialize section (as flayofish mentioned)
    3. On the target computer, copy the xml file you created in c:\windows\system32\sysprep
    4. Run sysprep and enter Audit Mode: Start > Run > C:\Windows\System32\sysprep\sysprep.exe - choose Audit Mode from the list
    5. From within Audit Mode:
      1. Open a command prompt window and go to c:\windows\system32\sysprep
      2. Type sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /quiet /unattend:filename.xml
    In theory that should be all you need.  I followed a guide from Microsoft that creates a fully automated windows installation that has CopyProfile set to true and boots into audit mode automatically, but I still had to use steps 3-5 to get the profile to copy over.

These instructions are based off my experience using the following Microsoft guide to Windows 7 deployment: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd349348%28WS.10%29.aspx

Friday, July 24, 2009 5:04 AM
  • Hi,

When running the sysprep for the second time within Audit mode, do you have to include the /generalize for it to do the profile copy?

From what I understand, /generalize takes out all the drivers etc ready for installations on alternative-hardware PCs. As I will be doing this on each PC I deploy this doesn't need to be done. It also adds extra time to the build, as after the reboot, it has to re-install all the drivers again!

The alternative is to import the shortcuts and various registry entries straight into the default profile. I assume this would work, but there are bound to be various items which will not work!

I cannot believe that Microsoft have not included an easy Profile Copy function - a large oversight in my opinion.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 10:42 AM
  • I don't *think* you need to use the /generalize but you'll probably have to try it and see. Wouldn't it be easier to work with images when you deploy machines though?  If it's something you have to do on-site at locations, make a Windows PE bootable USB-attached external hard drive with the images and everything else you'd need on it.  Even if it isn't very customized you could at least roll up certain Windows updates into the package.
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 11:28 PM
  • Hello,

I'm still having problems with this.  I followed the instructions (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd349348%28WS.10%29.aspx) to the letter.  Still no success in creating a new default profile.

What I get is a machine that thinks it's been newly installed.  Each new user that logs on to the machine is presented with settings and preferences that appear as if the applications were freshly installed.

What I really need is the "Copy to Default" functionality that we had previously.  For instance web browser toolbars and bookmarks the same for EVERY user that logs on.  Application preferences the same for EVERY user that logs on.  Desktop icons the same (and in the same location) for EVERY user that logs on. Etc.

After using the sysprep method all I get is a default profile with ALL customized preferences wiped out.  Not an ideal situation for computers that are used in public access university labs, and on workstations set aside for multiple users who need the EXACT same preferences and bookmarks.

This whole situation is FAIL.  Yes, I've read the reasons why Microsoft made the change.  They must not that big of a deal however, because thousands of IT professionals have used the old method without serious disasters occuring.
    Friday, October 02, 2009 9:09 PM
  • Does anyone have any idea how to make this work? We're getting nowhere at all and MS doesnt seem to have any kind of answer. I've got a Vista image and there's no solid information on how or why CopyProfile is not working in an unattend file. There are thousands of people reporting this to you and all we have is Darrell pointing us toward the same old wrong information...
    Friday, November 06, 2009 10:28 PM
  • Hello,
    There is a new article for Windows 7 now
    973289 How to customize default user profiles in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;973289

Plus a blog posting on the deployment guys blog site
    http://blogs.technet.com/deploymentguys/archive/2009/10/29/configuring-default-user-settings-full-update-for-windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 1:48 AM
  • Hi guys

I am trying to cook up a DVD with my custom install.wim that has all our apps installed. However default user settings are vital for this deployment scenario. Having skipped Vista, I assumed that configuring default user settings would be a breeze by now. Upon reading the windows team blog I was shocked to read this about the only 'supported' method (sysprep with CopyProfile):

"However this process does have a drawback.  It does not propagate all settings to Default User and there is no known documentation as to what will and will not be propagated."

I must be dreaming - right? How can the operating system that is going to be used by the entire planet NOT have any "known" documentation about preparing it for its users? Somebody must have written some code at some stage. Or has the sysprep sourcecode been lost down the line?

Another thing, what use is a "supported method"  if the company supporting it doesn't know what the method actually does?

Still happy with the OS itself, but not amused with the 'custom default user settings' issue.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 11:31 AM
  • Anyone see anything wrong doing it manually as shown on this site?

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=security/windows-7-copy-default-profile

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Hi there,

can you put a sample of that unattend.xml ?

I have tried it but I get errors.

I was looking under (x86_Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup_6.1.7100.0_neutral for 32bit machines) using Windows SIM and I was not able to see where that... he....k I could add the the entry CopyProfile = true.

May you please address me on that?

It's really a pain .. you know where trying to create a custom profile to meet the needs for the images I need to make.

Thank you in advance for you attentions to this concern.
    • Proposed as answer by Gandalf50 Thursday, November 19, 2009 9:39 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:58 AM
  • Hello,

I'm IT manager in a Dutch school with 350 PC's and 1000 users. 
    The "default user" is also a problem for us.

"Copy to" is grayed out but when you use Windows Enabler ( http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/speedload/Enabler.htm ),
    turn on the program, click once on the grayed out button, it becomes active and you can use it the same way you could in NT4, 2K, XP, Vista,...

Everything seems to work just fine except for the background, it does not load but that is just a minor problem because we can use group policy to set this (not tested yet).

This methode is unsupported and not extensively tested.  Who has time to test it and post remarks?

Greetings,
    Wouter
    Friday, November 20, 2009 7:48 AM
  • Hi Wouter

I guess you are also using the SURFdiensten provided DVD images? Can you contact me at visser@terena.org?

Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:21 AM
  • Hello there.

We cannot get this to work in our organization to customize a default user profile in Windows 7.

We also require web browser toolbars and bookmarks the same for EVERY user that logs on.  Application preferences the same for EVERY user that logs on.  Desktop icons the same (and in the same location) for EVERY user that logs on. Etc.

We are using MDT 2010 to create a standard base image using a deployment share called Admin where we install all our custom applications and such in an automated fashon using a task sequence. Then we use another deployment share in MDT 2010 called deploy with its own task sequence to reimage PCs with this base image.

I have studied the article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973289 and have tried to implement this however it will not work.

To edit the Unattend.xml file, I opened the properties of my task sequence in the admin deployment share, went to the OS info tab and selected "Edit Unattend.xml. This opened the Windows System Image Manager. In the Answer File section under step 4 Specialize amd64_Microsoft-WIndows-Shell-Setup_neutral I set "True" for CopyProfile. This put in the
    <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile> line into the Unattend.xml file for me.

In my task sequence for the admin deployment share I have a Pause script to pause the process before it automatically runs sysprep (as per the task sequence) and have tried to run sysprep.exe /generalize /unattend: unattend.xml but a window pops open telling me about the parameters and such. I've tried running sysprep.exe on its own and a GUI opens but I am unsure how to proceed from here.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this working?

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 01, 2009 8:01 PM
  • Do it manually the old way. http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=security/windows-7-copy-default-profile. Desktop themes can be done by creating a themepack file and having it runonce in registry for each person that logs on.
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 8:37 PM
  • Hi there.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried the procedure on irongeek and it seems to work however I have noticed a couple of things so far that do not work.

1. The Desktop Background wallpaper is just a black screen. It dod not copy over my custom desktop background.
    2. In Internet Explorer, my custom search provider is not listed. Only Bing.

Any suggestions on how to get around this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 8:47 PM
  • Hello again.

I found a solution on the MSDN forum that seems to have worked for the Desktop Background wallpaper. This is what I did:

When logged in as the user I later copied to "C:\Users\Default", I set the correct desktop wallpaper up, then I opened the registry to HKU\Control Panel\Desktop\ and in here is an entry called Wallpaper. I changed the value for Wallpaper from

"C:\Users\MyUserName\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\TranscodedWallpaper.jpg"

to

"C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\TranscodedWallpaper.jpg

Then I  finished setting up the profile and rebooted, logged on as admin and copied the profile to "Default".

Worked!

Now I just need to find a solution for my custom search provider.

When will Microsoft have a proper tool for us to use in MDT for setting this up?

Thanks again everyone.

Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:15 PM
  • I'm trying to set up a default profile.  I've created an unattend.xml file with the CopyProfile and DoNotCleanTaskBar options set (see below).  I set up a profile the way I want it, copy unattend.xml to the sysprep directory and from a command prompt in the sysprep directory issue the command "sysprep /Generalize /oobe /reboot /unattend:unattend.xml".  (I'm doing reboot to see if the sysprep works - no point in creating an image if it doesn't.)  When the system comes up I have two issues.

1) The items I had pinned to the taskbar are no longer pinned
    2) I had customized the system tray so the icon for my antivirus software is "show icon and notifications".  This setting is lost.

Is there a way to remidy this?

Thanks for your help

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
        <settings pass="windowsPE">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <DiskConfiguration>
                    <Disk wcm:action="add">
                        <CreatePartitions>
                            <CreatePartition wcm:action="add">
                                <Extend>true</Extend>
                                <Order>1</Order>
                                <Type>Primary</Type>
                            </CreatePartition>
                        </CreatePartitions>
                        <ModifyPartitions>
                            <ModifyPartition wcm:action="add">
                                <Active>true</Active>
                                <Format>NTFS</Format>
                                <Label>Windows</Label>
                                <Letter>C</Letter>
                                <Order>1</Order>
                                <PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
                            </ModifyPartition>
                        </ModifyPartitions>
                        <DiskID>0</DiskID>
                        <WillWipeDisk>true</WillWipeDisk>
                    </Disk>
                    <WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
                </DiskConfiguration>
                <ImageInstall>
                    <OSImage>
                        <InstallTo>
                            <DiskID>0</DiskID>
                            <PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
                        </InstallTo>
                    </OSImage>
                </ImageInstall>
                <UserData>
                    <ProductKey>
                    </ProductKey>
                    <AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
                </UserData>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <SetupUILanguage>
                    <UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
                </SetupUILanguage>
                <InputLocale>en-US</InputLocale>
                <SystemLocale>en-US</SystemLocale>
                <UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <settings pass="generalize">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <DoNotCleanTaskBar>true</DoNotCleanTaskBar>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <settings pass="specialize">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <OEMInformation>
                    <HelpCustomized>false</HelpCustomized>
                </OEMInformation>
                <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile>
                <DoNotCleanTaskBar>true</DoNotCleanTaskBar>
                <RegisteredOwner>Animal Science Department</RegisteredOwner>
                <RegisteredOrganization>University of California, Davis</RegisteredOrganization>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <settings pass="oobeSystem">
                <OOBE>
                    <ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>
                    <NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation>
                </OOBE>
                <RegisteredOrganization>University of California, Davis</RegisteredOrganization>
                <RegisteredOwner>Animal Science Department</RegisteredOwner>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <Reseal>
                    <Mode>Audit</Mode>
                </Reseal>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <settings pass="auditSystem">
                <AutoLogon>
                    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
                    <LogonCount>5</LogonCount>
                    <Username>Administrator</Username>
                </AutoLogon>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="catalog:d:/sources/install_windows 7 enterprise.clg" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:31 AM
  • I'm trying to set up a default profile.  I've created an unattend.xml file with the CopyProfile and DoNotCleanTaskBar options set (see below).  I set up a profile the way I want it, copy unattend.xml to the sysprep directory and from a command prompt in the sysprep directory issue the command "sysprep /Generalize /oobe /reboot /unattend:unattend.xml".  (I'm doing reboot to see if the sysprep works - no point in creating an image if it doesn't.)  When the system comes up I have two issues.

1) The items I had pinned to the taskbar are no longer pinned
    2) I had customized the system tray so the icon for my antivirus software is "show icon and notifications".  This setting is lost.

Even though you've got the <DoNotCleanTaskBar>true</DoNotCleanTaskBar> setting, links are still removed as part of the sysprep process.

In order to add items to the Taskbar you need to specify them within the sysprep.xml file within the specialize section, so the following adds Word, Excel and Outlook to the taskbar. You can add upto 4 a links I believe.

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" ... >
                <TaskbarLinks>
                   <Link0>%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Office Word 2007.lnk</Link0>
                   <Link1>%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Office Excel 2007.lnk</Link1>
                   <Link2>%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Office Outlook 2007.lnk</Link2>
                </TaskbarLinks>
            </component>

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Hello,

In the past (even with W7 Beta), I could create a profile set up to corporate specs, then copy that profile to the Default Profile.  The process went something like this:

1 - Set up profile with corporate settings, links, etc.
    2 - Create dummy admin account.
    3 - Log in to dummy admin account and copy 'set up profile' to the default profile.
    4 - Log out of dummy admin and delete the dummy admin account.

At this point any new logins would have the 'corporate profile' as their starting point.  With W7 RC1, I am unable to copy any profiles to the default.  The 'Copy To' button in 'User Profiles' is grayed out for any dummy admin account I create, as well as for the built-in Administrator account.

How do I go about modifying the default profile?  Is there some new 'best practice' regarding W7?  Just to be clear, I was able to do this in the Beta, but now am unable to do so in the RC.  I'm hoping that there is an alternate method to modify the default user profile as this seems like a serious backstep from the Beta.  I hope this isn't 'by design' as it places a serious crimp in our corporate deployment.

As has been previously mentioned, to configure the user profile for the Default User you need tyo use the <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile> entries within the sysprep.xml file. It is the profile of the user that initiates sysprep that is copied as part of the sysprep process.

This does work and we us it very successfully.
    I presume as you are doing a corporate deployment and need to configure Default User you are creating a master image that is then sysprepped and distributed to a large number of workstations, so this process shouldn't be an issue for you. Just configure the user you are using as you want it and then run sysprep.

Having to run a sysprep process just to configuring Default User for individual workstations does seem totally impractical though and Microsoft do need to resolve this.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:47 PM
  • Thanks.  This is helpfull.  I've been able to get it to work although only with 3 links.  It fails if you try to add a 4th.  It would be nice if Microsoft gave us the option of adding more than 3.

Curt
    Monday, January 25, 2010 11:53 PM
  • I used the following procedure to set up a working Default user. Certain things have been changed to protect my organization.

1)      Set up the Reference account:

a.       Log in using the Administrator account.

b.      Click Start, right click the “Computer” entry and select Manage from the menu.

c.       Navigate to “Computer Management” | “Local Users and Groups” | “Users”

d.      Click Action | New User…

e.       The new account must have the following settings:

i.      “User Name” should be Reference

ii.      “Full Name” and “Description” should be blank.

iii.      “Password” should be <Password 2 Removed>

iv.      All checkboxes must be unchecked.

f.       Click the Create button.

g.      Click the Close button.

h.      In the “Computer Management” window, right click the “Reference” account and select Properties from the menu.

i.        Click the “Member Of” tab.

j.        Highlight “Users” and click the Remove button.

k.      Click the Add button.

l.        Type in administrators and click the Check Names button.

m.    Click the OK button.

n.      Click Start | > | Log Off

2)      Set up the Reference settings.

a.       Log into the computer using the Reference account.

b.      Make the necessary changes for your environment.

o.      Click Start | Shut Down | Log Off

3)      Copy the Default User profile:

a.       Log in using the Administrator account.

b.      Click Start then right click “Computer” and select Manage from the menu.

c.       Navigate to “Computer Management” | “Local Users and Groups” | “Users”

d.      Right click “Reference” and delete the account.

e.       Click the Yes button.

f.       Navigate to C:\Users

g.      Enable the viewing of hidden files:

i.      Press the Alt key.

ii.      Click Tools | Folder Options

iii.      Click the View tab.

iv.      Click the “Show Hidden Files and Folders” radio button.

v.      Click OK.

h.      Delete the “Default” directory.

i.        Right click the “Reference” directory and select Properties from the menu.

j.        Check the “Hidden” checkbox and click the Apply button.

k.      Select the “Apply changes to this folder only” radio button

l.        Click OK

m.    Click the Security tab.

n.      Click the Advanced button.

o.      Click the Edit button.

p.      Check “Include Inheritable permissions from this object’s parent” and “Replace all existing inheritable permissions…”

q.      Click the Apply button.

r.        Click the Yes button.

s.       Select all permission entries that show “<not interited>” under “Inherited From” in the “Permission Entries” box. Click the Remove button.

t.        Click the Apply  button.

u.      Click the OK button.

v.      Click the OK button.

w.    Click the OK button.

x.      Rename the “Reference” directory to “Default”

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:12 PM
  • These steps would've worked in XP, but it doesn't work in Windows 7. I followed your steps exactly, and got only a partial replication from Default to the new user profile. I had a simple background/theme using the bitmap from the \system32\oobe\background.bmp, and enabled the quicklaunch toolbar with a few shortcuts, and used our company logo for the 'Reference' users account picture - all of these custom settings are lost whenever a new user logs in. The whole point of this discussion is about how to keep 'every' customization made for the Default profile - if <copy profile>true doesn't work, and your methos above doesn't work, then what's the use anymore. I think I'm resolving to no customizations other than installing the corporate software and letting the end user figure things out on their own. At this point, I thin using 2008 R2 GPO and Group Policy preferences, with a mixture of logon scripting is probably the way to go from here on out as Darrell Gorter mentioned above.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 7:35 PM
  • As has been previously mentioned, to configure the user profile for the Default User you need tyo use the <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile> entries within the sysprep.xml file. It is the profile of the user that initiates sysprep that is copied as part of the sysprep process.

This does work and we us it very successfully.
    I presume as you are doing a corporate deployment and need to configure Default User you are creating a master image that is then sysprepped and distributed to a large number of workstations, so this process shouldn't be an issue for you. Just configure the user you are using as you want it and then run sysprep.

Having to run a sysprep process just to configuring Default User for individual workstations does seem totally impractical though and Microsoft do need to resolve this.

What?

How are you imaging your machines because no matter what I do, I cannot get CopyProfile to work...

This is what I do:

1.  Install Windows 7 Pro.
    2.  When install is complete and the first configuration windows comes up, push ctrl+shift+f3 to enter into Audit mode.
    3.  When pc reboots, login with built-in Admin account and configure it the way I want ALL other accounts to be.
    4.  When all customizations have been made, copy the sysprep.xml file that I made from WAIK with the <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile> tag to c:\windows\system32\sysprep\.
    5.  While still logged in to the only Admin account that I have ever logged in with, run sysprep /generalize /oobe /unattend:sysprep.xml.
    6.  When the pc reboots, boot with imagex and capture the image to either a WDS server or an external hard drive.
    7.  Deploy the image.

When I follow those above steps, the Admin account that I configured DOES NOT copy over to any future accounts that I log in with.

What exactly am I doing wrong?
    Monday, March 15, 2010 11:31 PM
  • Yes I've done all of that, and tried many other suggested ways as well. I am deploying a corporate image, I am capturing with imagex to WDS, I am using the ctrl+shift+f3 to enter into Audit mode to create my customizations and then running sysprep /generalize /oobe /unattend:sysprep.xml. I have dug into the registry and loaded the Default user hive and analyzed what gets carried over, and I'm telling you all, that there are many aspects of the customized profile that simply do not get copied over to Default (period). Especially if you analyze the registry hive using the JDHuffords method above - there are so many entries that still point to the renamed 'Reference' profile that it does indead break a lot of things.
    To make matters worse, the customized profile in the case of using the 'ctrl+shift+f3 Audit mode' (administrator) is deleted during the generalize phase so there's no going back to make adjustments to the orignal customized profile. So when the new user logs in, Not All of my customizations are replicated - too many to mention here.
    What I have found though, is to use the ctrl+shift+f3 in audit mode, create all my customizations to quick-launch, toolbars, icons, power settings, screen savers, shortcuts, themes, etc..., I run the 'Windows Easy Transfer' to create a files and settings file to a USB stick. After I deploy the image, and go though the setup, logon to the desktop, and reboot once - the last thing I do is run the 'Windows Easy Transfer' and transfer the settings which didn't get copied over back to the new user's profile before turning it over to the end user. For now, this is my temp quick-fix solution until I can script the settings transfer using the USMT ScanState instead, possibly making a Run-Once script in the Default profile for LoadState. Hope this helps. Suggestions/comments welcome (without copy and paste from previous posts).

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:46 AM
  • One thing I can suggest from personal experience using WDS to deploy windows 7 with a custom profile is to include the answer file in the deployment task. Even though you sysprep and image the machine, for some reason when re-deploying the image with WDS or SCCM, the settings get lost. The only way I found to get around it was to include the answer file in the deployment task itself.

What I mean by including the answer file in the deployment is if you open the properties of the image in the WDS console, you should see some options about including an answer file. Use the same one you used to sysprep and create you image.

Dunno why this happens, but I figured I spent enough time trying to figure it out so I'm just going to let it go.

Thursday, April 01, 2010 1:52 PM
  • You can also edit the unattend.xml file used by your Deployment Workbench Task sequence.  It's under control\<sequence ID>.  You can also get to it through the Deployment Workbench interface as follows

Right click on a task sequence and select properties

Click on the OS Info tab

Click on Edit Unattend.xml

This is what I've done to keep from losing my settings when I deploy.

Thursday, April 01, 2010 3:47 PM
  • What exactly am I doing wrong?

Not sure what you're doing wrong, I don't bother with the Audit mode but the way I get it to work is:

1) Install Windows 7 Enterprise
    2) Enable Administrator account, login and configure as required
    3) Within the Administrator account run sysprep, using the same commands as you, so:
    sysprep /oobe /generalize /shutdown /unattend:sysprep.xml
    4) Capture the image using imagex

As has been previously mentioned, not all settings are captured, but it's certainly copying the profile to 'Default' so that all new user codes have a pretty well configured profile.

Thursday, April 08, 2010 11:10 AM
  • Sysprep works differently on Windows 7 than it did on Windows XP.  You do have to specify the answer file when you DEPLOY the image because that is when the Profile gets copied, not when Sysprep is running in the Generalize phase.

Here's a VERY GOOD article from The Deployment Guys that explains exactly how this works now:

http://blogs.technet.com/deploymentguys/archive/2009/10/29/configuring-default-user-settings-full-update-for-windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

Mike N.
    Thursday, April 08, 2010 12:51 PM
  • Microsoft should be ashamed that they have made something soooo simple soooo ridiculously troublesome.  You should NOT have to be an IT engineer in order to copy profiles.  And "Darrel" is not entirely correct in stating there were problems or issues with doing this the way it was done in XP.  I've engineered images and such on Windows 2000 and XP for many years and never had issues at all with copying profiles through the gui.  Shame... now... in my opinion MS get your heads straight and produce a utility that unlocks the ability to copy profiles as it was in XP without all the ridiculous headaches.  To secure an OS is one thing.  To make it unusable or unmanageable is another.  How dare you make something like copying profiles so difficult but add all types of annoying bells and whistles... then call it a secure OS?? This is an unnecessary time consuming pain in the @#$ ... and everyone here knows it... and so does MS.  Give us a way to do this easily!! 

End Of Rant...

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:10 PM
  • Microsoft should be ashamed that they have made something soooo simple soooo ridiculously troublesome.  You should NOT have to be an IT engineer in order to copy profiles.  And "Darrel" is not entirely correct in stating there were problems or issues with doing this the way it was done in XP.  I've engineered images and such on Windows 2000 and XP for many years and never had issues at all with copying profiles through the gui.  Shame... now... in my opinion MS get your heads straight and produce a utility that unlocks the ability to copy profiles as it was in XP without all the ridiculous headaches.  To secure an OS is one thing.  To make it unusable or unmanageable is another.  How dare you make something like copying profiles so difficult but add all types of annoying bells and whistles... then call it a secure OS?? This is an unnecessary time consuming pain in the @#$ ... and everyone here knows it... and so does MS.  Give us a way to do this easily!! 

End Of Rant...

Well, instead of ranting, you could elaborate on the specific problem you're having and I'm sure that someone here has had the same issue and can help you with it.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:35 PM
  • As stated earlier in this thread, the scenario that was previously used to replace the Default User Profile (overwriting via the User Profile Control Panel applet) was unsupported in Windows Vista and unsupported in Windows XP.  There were many issues with it in the prior OS’s, even though those issues were not always apparent, they did exist and caused inconsistencies and lingering problems.

For Domain joined systems, an alternative exists that in many cases will provide a centralized way to update user profiles and accomplish the same tasks that many of you are seeking: Group Policy Preferences. In contrast to policy settings, preferences allow users to change them after you’ve deployed them, they are unmanaged. Additionally, deploying some preferences for users could be a necessity in locked-down environments. Organizations have deployed preferences in a variety of ways, most commonly default user profiles, reg files, and logon scripts. Including preferences in Windows images is also common. In any case, most methods for deploying preferences are decentralized and ‘high touch’.

In contrast to the less IT-friendly methods for deploying preferences, Group Policy preferences add to Group Policy a centralized system for deploying preferences. It provides the means to simplify deployment, reduce configuration errors, and reduce IT costs. Rather than using the steps described earlier to deploy mapped drives, for example, you simply create a Group Policy object and edit its Drive Maps preference item.

Group Policy preferences do not require you to install any services on servers. Windows Server 2008 includes Group Policy preferences by default as part of the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC). Administrators will also be able to configure and deploy Group Policy preferences in a Windows Server 2003 environment by installing the Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) on a computer running Windows Vista with SP1.

You can download the whitepaper that describes Group Policy Preferences here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=42e30e3f-6f01-4610-9d6e-f6e0fb7a0790&displaylang=en. This white paper describes Group Policy preferences—its features, the differences between policy settings and preferences, and the many benefits of using this new technology.

If there are specific customizations that you made using the old method to replace the Default User Profile that you cannot make with Group Policy Preferences, you can email them to me: PLeBlanc@*microsoft.com (remove the *)

Note that Group Policy preferences will not address creation of Mandatory Profiles and some other settings may still require the supported method of customizing the Default User profile. This article points to the supported way of updating the Default User profile:

Paul LeBlanc MSFT
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:06 AM
  • I COMPLETELY agree with LDMak90's rant.  Here is a scenario of the XP way and the new Windows 7 way.  

I have 200 lab computers.  All Windows XP.  They've been working just fine and the new Internet Explorer comes out.  We upgrade all the machines, but every time a student sits down at a computer and logs in to their individual account and then enters IE, they are presented with a wizard of question after question of settings they have NO idea what to do with.  So the IT department logs into a special account we use as our master profile account and we make those changes in IE.  Then we go to the System Control Panel and copy our profile over the default user account.  Takes about 10 minutes tops per machine.  This same type of scenario occurs 5-10 times per semester with other software updates or changes by instructors so we have to go around and copy the profile to the default user account each time.  Student workers with little to no IT experience can do the above once trained.

Now enter the new Windows 7 way.  A new IE comes out.  Students once again are presented with a wizard of questions regarding settings they have no idea about.  We login to our master account and make the necessary settings in IE for them.  Then we must make a clone to deploy because we need IE to stop bugging the students each time they logged into a new machine?  Before we just made the changes in IE and then copied the profile, but now we must make a clone with an answer file?  

This is a huge step back for Windows 7.  We had planned to move all 200+ machines to Windows 7 this summer, but the default profile thing is why we are not moving forward on this.  We can't be expected to use this new clone method 5-10 times per semester on 200+ machines for little changes that took under 10 minutes before.  This is the complaint.  Why do we have to jump through all these hoops that take so much time when it could be done in <10 minutes before?

There needs to be a utility that will allow us to copy the default user profile without the security concerns or whatever issues that MS found wrong with this feature to begin with.  It is as simple as that.  The current "approved" method is RIDICULOUS.  For those of us with labs where each machine needs to be identical, the MS approved method is nothing more than a huge time waster and a time waster that we won't be part of.  Please write a utility to fix this huge time waster you've created.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:20 PM
  • If you're honestly doing all of that because of IE, then I can tell you that you really are not doing software distribution properly.

I've worked in environments with thousands of computers and we didn't want our users to see prompts when they logged in and used some new app either...but we didn't 'fix' it by changing their profile each and every time... 

We made the app install the way we wanted it to instal...

You're tackling your problem from the wrong end.

Many times in IT you have to step back and look at your overall goal, not the method you want to do something.

Mike...
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 5:05 PM
  • just a question, why dont you just use a GPO to make your changes? 

and the utility you're looking for is SCCM

• Proposed as answer by witten5 Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:18 PM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 5:08 PM
  • I don't know if this will help anyone, but so far this has worked for me.

1. I install Win 7 from the DVD

2. enable administrator then log on and delete the account that windows install creates then join to my domain

3.  Then I logon with my network account (lets say FREDS account )I customized it as my default account

4. Next restart and log on as administrator and go to the following registry setting

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Next I modified the Default string REG_EXPAND_SZ value data to read %SystemDrive%\Users\FREDS

So far every user that has logged onto the system has the same settings as FREDS icons, programs, printers ect.

I then create and deploy my image.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:18 PM
  • I COMPLETELY agree with LDMak90's rant.  Here is a scenario of the XP way and the new Windows 7 way.  

I have 200 lab computers.  All Windows XP.  They've been working just fine and the new Internet Explorer comes out.  We upgrade all the machines, but every time a student sits down at a computer and logs in to their individual account and then enters IE, they are presented with a wizard of question after question of settings they have NO idea what to do with.  So the IT department logs into a special account we use as our master profile account and we make those changes in IE.  Then we go to the System Control Panel and copy our profile over the default user account.  Takes about 10 minutes tops per machine.  This same type of scenario occurs 5-10 times per semester with other software updates or changes by instructors so we have to go around and copy the profile to the default user account each time.  Student workers with little to no IT experience can do the above once trained.

Now enter the new Windows 7 way.  A new IE comes out.  Students once again are presented with a wizard of questions regarding settings they have no idea about.  We login to our master account and make the necessary settings in IE for them.  Then we must make a clone to deploy because we need IE to stop bugging the students each time they logged into a new machine?  Before we just made the changes in IE and then copied the profile, but now we must make a clone with an answer file?  

This is a huge step back for Windows 7.  We had planned to move all 200+ machines to Windows 7 this summer, but the default profile thing is why we are not moving forward on this.  We can't be expected to use this new clone method 5-10 times per semester on 200+ machines for little changes that took under 10 minutes before.  This is the complaint.  Why do we have to jump through all these hoops that take so much time when it could be done in <10 minutes before?

There needs to be a utility that will allow us to copy the default user profile without the security concerns or whatever issues that MS found wrong with this feature to begin with.  It is as simple as that.  The current "approved" method is RIDICULOUS.  For those of us with labs where each machine needs to be identical, the MS approved method is nothing more than a huge time waster and a time waster that we won't be part of.  Please write a utility to fix this huge time waster you've created.

You can disable the IE first run prompt with GPO.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc985351.aspx

"Prevent performance of First Run Customize settings"

Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:25 PM

Because there isn't a gpo that will remove the ie, explorer, and wmp icons on the taskbar at first user logon.
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:27 PM

Because there isn't a gpo that will remove the ie, explorer, and wmp icons on the taskbar at first user logon.

Yes there is, Use it all the time in my images

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\ Remove pinned programs from the Taskbar

Enable this, restart and there will be no pinned items on the taskbar, including IE, Explorer and WMP.

If that doesn't work for you , I have a login script that does the same I can post.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:46 PM

Yes there is, Use it all the time in my images

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\ Remove pinned programs from the Taskbar

Enable this, restart and there will be no pinned items on the taskbar, including IE, Explorer and WMP.

If that doesn't work for you , I have a login script that does the same I can post.

That's true but it also prevents users from pinning items to the taskbar.  My users need this functionality.  Notice I said "at first user logon" in my earlier reply?

Does your script look like this?

'More info at http://frontslash.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/removing-internet-explorer-and-windows-media-player-from-taskbar/#comment-178

Option Explicit

Const CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS = &H17
    Const CSIDL_PROGRAMS = &H2
    Const CSIDL_STARTMENU = &HB

Dim objShell, objFSO
    Dim objCurrentUserStartFolder
    Dim strCurrentUserStartFolderPath
    Dim objAllUsersProgramsFolder
    Dim strAllUsersProgramsPath
    Dim objFolder
    Dim objFolderItem
    Dim colVerbs
    Dim objVerb

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Set objCurrentUserStartFolder = objShell.NameSpace (CSIDL_STARTMENU)
    strCurrentUserStartFolderPath = objCurrentUserStartFolder.Self.Path
    Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS)
    strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path

'Internet Explorer
    If objFSO.FileExists(strCurrentUserStartFolderPath & "\Programs\Internet Explorer.lnk") Then
     Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strCurrentUserStartFolderPath & "\Programs")
     Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Internet Explorer.lnk")
     Set colVerbs = objFolderItem.Verbs
     For Each objVerb in colVerbs
      If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Unpin from Taskbar" Then objVerb.DoIt
     Next
    End If
    'Windows Explorer
    If objFSO.FileExists(strCurrentUserStartFolderPath & "\Programs\Accessories\Windows Explorer.lnk") Then
     Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strCurrentUserStartFolderPath & "\Programs\Accessories")
     Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Windows Explorer.lnk")
     Next
    End If
    'Windows Media Player
    If objFSO.FileExists(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Windows Media Player.lnk") Then
     Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath)
     Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Windows Media Player.lnk")
     Next
    End If

Thursday, May 27, 2010 11:03 PM
  • Does it really look like anyone in this thread has a real solid answer to the point we are all making about being able to copy the default user profile??  My specific problem is the same as everyone else's.  The inability to easily copy a profile over the Default User Profile.  YET, a few people here continue to claim that there were undocumented "issues" with doing that in Windows 2000 and XP.  I would LOVE to see proof of what those issues were.  I do NOT believe that's real.  It sounds like the public and official Microsoft "This is what we will say about Area 51" nonsense excuse.

I apologize that my input is not very helpful other than to rant... I am a strong engineer and wish I could help... It's that I do NOT believe an answer exists.  I understand the DESIRE to secure an OS and do away with "unsupported" or undocumented issues (LOL) but... then provide a utility.  A Microsoft, official, supported utility to do what we are asking.  Don't make us hack and crack your OS to get something to work.  Just provide an easy manageable way to do this.  Do you expect me to believe your user state migration tools work just fine (copying profiles and such by the way) but you have "issues" with copying default profile? 

What wonderful loyal Microsoft guys you are (those of you who defend by making excuses) but it doesn't help us for you to excuse this away. 

For all interested, stay tuned.  I am going to work on filing a legit/formal complain through my Microsoft Technical Account Manager.  Let's see if we can get some well deserved attention here.  I will keep you all informed on the progress (or lack of) as I go along.

Until then... may the force be with you on this... cause Microsoft's not... LOL

LD

Monday, June 07, 2010 5:16 PM
  • For the most part, yes. I run this at login and it clears the taskbar and my users can still pin on their own. Its only in some cases that I prevent pinning all together (i.e multi-user terminals)
    Monday, June 07, 2010 6:25 PM
  • When you complain, they will tell you to use SCCM. There is no *simple* method to copy over the default profile, its gone. As for the undocumented issues, these were VERY rare and usually revolved around duplicated SID info, but it was enough to suggest that this method shouldn't be used. Now, I used that method for years and didn't have an issue but that's not to say someone else didn't.

Now, there is a plethora of information on how to create a default profile and most can be done in less than 30 minutes depending on what you need in it, you just have to look. You can complain and rant all day long, but at the end of the day, it won't change anything.

We're not "loyal Microsoft guys," we just worked together to make what is admittedly complicated simple.

If this were easy, we wouldn't have jobs. If you're as strong an engineer as you say, this should be simple to overcome.
    Monday, June 07, 2010 6:32 PM
  • Microsoft Technical Account Manager got right on this and provided the following update: (not sure how much weight it holds but I trust that he's telling me what he knows about it).

"I wasn’t aware of this change until now. I checked and there is already a Design Change Request for putting back this functionality – many complaints."

He also referred me to the following (may have been referenced earlier in this thread.  Not sure.  Sorry if it is repetitive): http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2009/10/29/configuring-default-user-settings-full-update-for-windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

Hope that helps a little.  Good luck to everyone.

LD

Monday, June 07, 2010 6:38 PM
  • When you complain, they will tell you to use SCCM. There is no *simple* method to copy over the default profile, its gone. As for the undocumented issues, these were VERY rare and usually revolved around duplicated SID info, but it was enough to suggest that this method shouldn't be used. Now, I used that method for years and didn't have an issue but that's not to say someone else didn't.

Now, there is a plethora of information on how to create a default profile and most can be done in less than 30 minutes depending on what you need in it, you just have to look. You can complain and rant all day long, but at the end of the day, it won't change anything.

We're not "loyal Microsoft guys," we just worked together to make what is admittedly complicated simple.

If this were easy, we wouldn't have jobs. If you're as strong an engineer as you say, this should be simple to overcome.

Blah blah blah ... I won't address the personal attacks nor your interest in my discontent and ranting.  Squeeky wheel gets the oil bud.  Learn it... live it.  However,  SCCM?? LOL.  Sure... hey engineers!!  when one of our products doesn't work as advertised (why have the gui there to copy profiles in the first place??) spend more money on another one of our products OR ... be a strong engineer and overcome it yourself... OR... live with it.  I'm sorry... nothing personal but it just doesn't sit well with me.  There are other reasons why you need this functionality (as I'm sure you are aware) that have nothing to do with initial delivery of an image on a new device or reimaged device.  Plenty other scenarios.  It's on Microsoft's "list" to address... "many complaints" for many reasons and I'm sure by many people who are strong engineers able to overcome the issue but feel strongly that they really shouldn't have to put so much thought and effort into engineering or re-engineering a Microsoft product to do such a simple task.  Hey here's a thought... maybe there's no "issues" with the old way (SID problems are WAY easy to deal with and not worth removing this functionality by the way.  We've all been dealing with SID issues for quite sometime I'm sure)... ummm... how bout this as a theory... they goofed.  Simple and plain I believe it's just one of those ridiculous Microsoft Bloops and Blunders goofed up decisions...

Let's not make excuses... it's silly.  Anyone who is/was a system admin dealing with this functionality is intelligent enough to know this... now let's just be man/woman enough to admit it. 

Anyway, I am finished ranting... LOL.  again, nothing personal at all so don't take it that way and don't be so bothered or offended that someone is disgusted by a Microsoft product... unless of course, at night you can roll over and tap Windows 7 on the shoulder for some good lovin... I haven't found the registry hack for that yet... LOL.. hopefully this makes you smile and not more upset...

Be well... have a blessed day... and go easy.

LD

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 6:06 PM
  • @Pbbarntt

GPO doesn't work the same way.  I've gone through EVERY setting in GPO multiple times and it simply doesn't work the same way.  When someone logs into the machine for the first time (and a new profile is created) ALL applications (MS and non-MS) act as if they were freshly installed.  No customizations are there.  No icons on the desktop.  Etc.

@Mike Normand

I respectfully disagree with your wrong end statement.  There's more to it than just that.  What we need is for every user who logs into a machine to have the EXACT same setup.  Same icons in the same locations.  Application nag dialogs done away with.  Application settings EXACTLY the same. And so forth...

SysPrep and GPO can do a lot, but not that.  As I stated elsewhere on another thread -- Microsoft has totally missed the use case on this.

Friday, June 11, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Will that also allow you to set IE's settings to a standard "default"?  Also, what about other MS and non-MS applications?  Firefox?  There's no GPO for Adobe, or AutoCAD, or MATLab, etc.

Friday, June 11, 2010 9:21 PM
  • @LDMak90

I suspect that this issue is like a man trying to tell a woman what it's like to be pregnant.  Those of us that need this functionality know EXACTLY why we need it and why Microsoft's "Official" method and responses (why not just use GPO, SysPrep?) so far are like the aforementioned man.

Friday, June 11, 2010 9:27 PM
  • Will that also allow you to set IE's settings to a standard "default"?  Also, what about other MS and non-MS applications?  Firefox?  There's no GPO for Adobe, or AutoCAD, or MATLab, etc.

You can set IE's settings to a standard default by using the IE configuration tool, or copying the settings from a reference machine to your GPO and have them applied at system startup or login.

As far as Firefox is concerned, it shares most of its settings with IE. Adobe, AutoCAD and MATLab all have admin installers that will allow you to remove all of the extra features, first run dialogs, etc.

Friday, June 11, 2010 11:17 PM

Blah blah blah ... I won't address the personal attacks nor your interest in my discontent and ranting.  Squeeky wheel gets the oil bud.  Learn it... live it.  However,  SCCM?? LOL.  Sure... hey engineers!!  when one of our products doesn't work as advertised (why have the gui there to copy profiles in the first place??) spend more money on another one of our products OR ... be a strong engineer and overcome it yourself... OR... live with it.  I'm sorry... nothing personal but it just doesn't sit well with me.  There are other reasons why you need this functionality (as I'm sure you are aware) that have nothing to do with initial delivery of an image on a new device or reimaged device.  Plenty other scenarios.  It's on Microsoft's "list" to address... "many complaints" for many reasons and I'm sure by many people who are strong engineers able to overcome the issue but feel strongly that they really shouldn't have to put so much thought and effort into engineering or re-engineering a Microsoft product to do such a simple task.  Hey here's a thought... maybe there's no "issues" with the old way (SID problems are WAY easy to deal with and not worth removing this functionality by the way.  We've all been dealing with SID issues for quite sometime I'm sure)... ummm... how bout this as a theory... they goofed.  Simple and plain I believe it's just one of those ridiculous Microsoft Bloops and Blunders goofed up decisions...

Let's not make excuses... it's silly.  Anyone who is/was a system admin dealing with this functionality is intelligent enough to know this... now let's just be man/woman enough to admit it. 

Anyway, I am finished ranting... LOL.  again, nothing personal at all so don't take it that way and don't be so bothered or offended that someone is disgusted by a Microsoft product... unless of course, at night you can roll over and tap Windows 7 on the shoulder for some good lovin... I haven't found the registry hack for that yet... LOL.. hopefully this makes you smile and not more upset...

Be well... have a blessed day... and go easy.

LD

Ok, I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong and that post was done at the end of a VERY stressful day. However, the majority of my frustration comes from the fact that everyone is "Ranting" and not trying to come up with solutions. Yes, MS screwed up, we all know this and have sent many a complaint (myself included) to MS. But at the end of the day, we all know a fix isn't going to come anytime soon, no matter how much ranting and complaining we do.

Thats why I just don't see the point in complaining anymore. We all know how this works and it will be a LONG time before we see a solution. So, in the meantime why not just help each other out? Most people have had issues that others have long since solved, so instead of ranting, how about you tell us what you actually need help with and maybe one of us could assist. As I mentioned before, the process is pretty much streamlined now and we've all dug around various GPOs and sysprep files and may be able to tell you exactly how to solve your problem.

And you can copy the default profile the "old" way, there is a "registry hack" for THAT...

Friday, June 11, 2010 11:28 PM
  • I find it odd that so many are stressing out so much about DEFAULT settings.  No one is saying tha they want to configure something a particular way and then make it stay that way forever...they're just saying that this the must be able to set something up the way they want it to be initially.  If the users change it all the next day, whatever, but it's got to be right when the image is deployed.

A couple thoughts on that...

Group Policy PREFERENCES!  Allow you to set ANY registry key.  I'll repeat that, they allow you to set ANY REGISTRY KEY.  Allow you to add files, shortcuts, printers, drive mappings.  Look into them.  Much more flexible than Group Policies.

Also, as for desktop icons being in the right spot...good luck with that one.  First machine that comes along that has a different native resolution than the one you built your image with and all that work is gone out the window.

Also, seriously, deploy apps the right way.  If you're users are seeing nag dialog boxes when they start an applicatoin for the first time it's because you didn't install it right.  It's not because you didn't load your image, log on, click the don't nag me button, then save the profile.  Comon, its 2010...  www.appdeploy.com

Also you can use the XML files to copy the default profile...that does work...

Lastly, people, those end user types, have been using computers now for decades...if an icon is 2 inches away from where it "usually" is, I'm sure they will adapt and actually be able to find it. 

If you stop yourself and ask yourself what is most important to the end user, its not going to be where the icon is on the screen...its going to be whether or not the system works.  Put more emphasis on that, and less on what amounts to window dressing and you'll be better off in the long run.

Mike...
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 4:15 AM
  • I think my problem is related to the OP's although somewhat less grand. I have Windows 7 set up just the way I like it, under my own name - Michael. Now I want to set up my wife as another user on the same computer, and having spent all that time customising Windows and the installed applications, I would like to duplicate my own profile, but with her name, Sandy. Under XP, this would have been trivial to achieve - 20 minutes, max. With Windos 7, it's a huge mission. Why????

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:13 PM
  • This is a bit off-topic, but oddly enough, I have "C:\Users\Default" and "C:\Users\Default User". Any idea why? Default User has a padlock, Default not. They have "date modified" timestamps about 2 hours apart (January, when I installed). Default User was created before Default.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:27 PM
  • Has anybody tried this?....

go to the registry HKLM-SOFTWARE-MICROSOFT-WINDOWS-CURRENT VERSION-PROFILELIST

then change the default string value to %SystemDrive%Users\model_profile_name where the

medel profile name is the profile you want the rest of the profiles created have the configuration

you wish. I tried this and seems to work so far. The copy profile way did not work for me

the sysprep wouldnt finish and give me errors and I tried a lot of things and the specialize-shell setup will

never pass.

Friday, June 18, 2010 4:50 PM
  • In my case we need to set the default settings for all users and they will need to stay that way forever or until we decide to change them.  We use a software called Deep Freeze which stops users from making permanent changes to the system so we never have to worry about users changing anything permanently.  Deep Freeze allows them to change whatever they want on the system, but as soon as the computer restarts all the changes revert to our original settings.  In a lab environment for teaching, it is imperative that everything be identical so everyone is on the same page so to speak.  

This is why it is KEY to be able to copy the profile to the default profile so everyone's profile is identical and then we Deep Freeze it so it stays that way.  We have 15-20 different faculty using the labs each week and they don't like change...even a little bit.  Moving an icon around on the screen IS a big deal if an instructor says double click the icon in the upper right corner of the screen and it is a different result for each of the X amount of users in the lab.  It doesn't make teaching fun.

So the problem we have currently is not keeping all the settings the same as we use Deep Freeze for that.  The problem is getting all the settings the same for all the users which we can easily do in XP and even Vista, but not Windows 7 without jumping through hoops and time wasters to accomplish something that literally took a few minutes before. 

This wouldn't be that big of a deal with the initial roll out of Windows 7 machines into a lab.  The problem is when we make changes to the lab systems 10-15 times throughout the semester to accommodate faculty needs.  Each time we would have to do the new Windows 7 method of copying to the default profile which is nothing but a huge time waster.

Friday, June 25, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Has anybody tried this?....

go to the registry HKLM-SOFTWARE-MICROSOFT-WINDOWS-CURRENT VERSION-PROFILELIST

then change the default string value to %SystemDrive%Users\model_profile_name where the

medel profile name is the profile you want the rest of the profiles created have the configuration

you wish. I tried this and seems to work so far. The copy profile way did not work for me

the sysprep wouldnt finish and give me errors and I tried a lot of things and the specialize-shell setup will

never pass.

Has anyone else had any luck with this method?
    Friday, June 25, 2010 3:35 PM
  • I find it odd that so many are stressing out so much about DEFAULT settings.  No one is saying tha they want to configure something a particular way and then make it stay that way forever...they're just saying that this the must be able to set something up the way they want it to be initially.  If the users change it all the next day, whatever, but it's got to be right when the image is deployed.

A couple thoughts on that...

Group Policy PREFERENCES!  Allow you to set ANY registry key.  I'll repeat that, they allow you to set ANY REGISTRY KEY.  Allow you to add files, shortcuts, printers, drive mappings.  Look into them.  Much more flexible than Group Policies.

Also, as for desktop icons being in the right spot...good luck with that one.  First machine that comes along that has a different native resolution than the one you built your image with and all that work is gone out the window.

Also, seriously, deploy apps the right way.  If you're users are seeing nag dialog boxes when they start an applicatoin for the first time it's because you didn't install it right.  It's not because you didn't load your image, log on, click the don't nag me button, then save the profile.  Comon, its 2010...  www.appdeploy.com

Also you can use the XML files to copy the default profile...that does work...

Lastly, people, those end user types, have been using computers now for decades...if an icon is 2 inches away from where it "usually" is, I'm sure they will adapt and actually be able to find it. 

If you stop yourself and ask yourself what is most important to the end user, its not going to be where the icon is on the screen...its going to be whether or not the system works.  Put more emphasis on that, and less on what amounts to window dressing and you'll be better off in the long run.

Mike...

Isn't technology supposed to make things EASIER over time?  10 years ago, creating a default profile was easy.  Here we are, 10 years later, and nobody has posted a solution to what so many people have clearly stated as a problem.  It's obvious that MS screwed the pooch on this one.  At least give us that "Copy to.." option back, even if it is "unsupported". 

I work for a large school district, and yes, a default profile is VERY important.  10-15 different students will log on to desktops or laptops each day - and many of these logins are first-time logins.  We support about 150 different educational software applications and I guarantee you that not even 10% of those applications have the admin functionality to manage the settings of a multiple-machine deployment, let alone a 2000-machine deployment.  As an IT department, we have little say over which educational software is installed since we are not teachers.  That's a HUGE pain in the ____ for students to have to log in to a machine and choose the default settings for each application on that respective profile.

Sysprep doesn't do this.  Copyprofile=true doesn't do this.  Editing registry settings?  Ok, even if that DOES work (which I am not counting on), that takes a considerable amount of time to learn and that just doesn't seem like an acceptable method to streamline this process.  SCCM may or may not do this, but why is this functionality not available in the OS itself?  Do you know how much time/money/resources is spent for your IT crew to install and learn the ins and outs of SCCM?  It ain't free, ya know? 

For those of you that are not in my situation or a situation of the others that have posted, please do not disregard our complaints as petty and unworthy of attention.  We have every right to criticize MS for making this process incredibly difficult - and as someone said previously "the squeaky wheel gets the oil".  If nobody bitches about this, it will continue to be a pain in the ____.  If we ____, it might get fixed. 

We are holding off our Windows 7 deployment until this can be streamlined.  This is extremely frustrating as I have already spent a large amount of time looking for a solution to something that should be simple to do. 

For those of you that manage an environment where you have 1 primary user per computer - I can see how this isn't a big deal to you.  It IS a big deal, however, when as many as 30 NEW users are going to log into each machine each day.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:26 PM
  • and the utility you're looking for is SCCM

I wouldn't call SCCM a 'utility' but I'm pretty new at it.  How is this accomplished in SCCM?  Here's what I do now:

Set up a reference computer with Windows 7, applications, and configure settings how I want.

Then force the profile to Copy To the Default profile with WinEnabler.  This is quirky to say the least.  Some things transfer, some don't, the registry points to the old profile, etc.

Despite this, I then use capture media to get the image of the reference computer onto the server. 

I then use a task sequence to deploy that image to the rest of the computers.

It's quirky, but it works for 85% of what I need.

I've read about using sysprep with an answer file, but can't figure out if that's compatible with SCCM's capture media. And from comments here, it sounds like it doesn't work very well either.  Like I said, I'm new at this, and would love to know how to accomplish what I'm trying to do in the approved manner, getting at least 99% of what I'm trying to do.  Any ideas?
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 3:24 PM
  • I don't use the capture media when capturing my reference image. I manually run the sysprep command (sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:<xmlfile here>) with my sysprep xml file and then capture it using WinPE to the server. After that, I deploy the same image in a TS, but I also include the answer file in the TS under the "Include answer file" option in the "Apply Windows Operating System" action.

Been doing it this way since last October with 99% success with my deployments. The remaining 1% is usually some random computer model that I haven't imported the drivers for. After I import the drivers, I have no issues.

I do however use the copyprofile = true method and that has always worked for me.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:15 PM
  • Sounds like you need to copy the appdata folder manually. That is NOT copied with sysprep.

If you have 150+ applications, why don't you consider application virtualization? That would solve 90% of your issues there. Best part, its free if you have a MSVL. (Granted, you still need a server, but the software free)

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:23 PM
  •  

I'm in the same boat with people stumbling over CopyProfile.  There doesn't seem to be great support for 'lab machines', where the user prefs are preconfigured and reset for each user.  I guess this is mostly for the educational environment.

I suspect that CopyProfile was planned to run during the Generalize pass (like it says in the Waik help file), and then it got moved to the Specialize pass, because of some problem.  Now instead of copying from the last logged in profile to Default, prefs are copied from whatever profile was generalized last.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:06 PM
  • Do you have a sample unattend.xml file you could post here, with just the copyprofile tag?  ie, the complete file, but all it does is copyprofile...  If not I can just try to figure it out on my own...

Thanks,

Will

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Here is mine. I run this with the user that I've customized, NOT in audit mode.

<servicing></servicing>
       <ComputerName>tl000d00</ComputerName>
       <RegisteredOrganization>Microsoft</RegisteredOrganization>
       <RegisteredOwner>AutoBVT</RegisteredOwner>
       <ShowWindowsLive>false</ShowWindowsLive>
       <TimeZone>Central Standard Time</TimeZone>
      </component>
     </settings>
      <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
       <InputLocale>en-us</InputLocale>
       <SystemLocale>en-us</SystemLocale>
       <UILanguage>en-us</UILanguage>
       <UserLocale>en-us</UserLocale>
       <UILanguageFallback>en-us</UILanguageFallback>
      </component>
       <RegisteredOrganization>University of *******</RegisteredOrganization>
       <RegisteredOwner>Department</RegisteredOwner>
       <OOBE>
        <HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
        <ProtectYourPC>3</ProtectYourPC>
        <SkipMachineOOBE>true</SkipMachineOOBE>
        <SkipUserOOBE>true</SkipUserOOBE>
        <HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>
       </OOBE>
       <WindowsFeatures>
        <ShowWindowsMediaPlayer>true</ShowWindowsMediaPlayer>
        <ShowWindowsMail>false</ShowWindowsMail>
        <ShowMediaCenter>false</ShowMediaCenter>
        <ShowInternetExplorer>false</ShowInternetExplorer>
       </WindowsFeatures>
      </component>
     </settings>
     <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:f:/sources/install.wim#Windows 7 ENTERPRISE" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:56 PM
  • I'm pretty much doing what this guy says to:

http://blog.brianleejackson.com/sysprep-a-windows-7-machine-%E2%80%93-start-to-finish-v2

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:57 PM
  • I posted this in another thread, but I may as well post it here, too. 

I was finally able to get sysprep to do what I wanted it to do.  I used a combination of scripting and the unattend.xml file to get it done.  I'll paste my unattend.xml file (this is for x86 ONLY) and here is what it does (script will be pasted at the bottom of this response):

1. SkipRearm set to "1" resets the activation timer for Windows when an image is restored to a new PC.

2. The "RunSynchronous" under the "Microsoft-Windows-Deployment component enables the built-in Administrator account (since it is disabled by default).

3. SkipAutoActivation should be self-explanatory.

4. "Copyprofile" set to "True" copies the current profile to the default user profile.  When you start Windows up after a fresh reformat, do NOT create a new profile when it prompts you - instead, press control+shift+F3 at this screen to enter "Audit" mode in sysprep.  This will log you into the built-in administrator account where you can do your installations and customizations of all of the software that you'd like.  You can reboot as many times as you want since it will stay in audit mode until you run sysprep with the /oobe switch.

5. Show Windows Live = False is pretty self-explanatory.

6. TimeZone can be set to whatever you want - just make sure you have the correct syntax.

7. DisableFirstRunWizard = True disables that annoying prompt when you first open up Internet Explorer.  Even if you choose these settings when you're customizing your default profile, a new user will get prompted with this unless you specify this setting as "True".

8. Home_Page is pretty obvious.  Set this to whatever you want the homepage to be for the default user.

9. The 4 settings that are set to "en-us" specifies that I want to use United States English as the default language.

10. "AutoLogon" will automatically log Windows into the built-in Administrator account after a computer is reimaged, assuming that you have completed #2 on this list (the RunSynchronous command).  I did not specify a password, regardless of what the string value states, so you will have to come up with a password after you reimage if you are going to copy this .xml file line for line.

11.  The "OOBE" switches are pretty self-explanatory, but very important.  "ProtectYourPC" set to "3" means that automatic updates are disabled since I prefer to manually do the updates after reimaging - and we are running WSUS, so the client will receive auto updates as soon as it is joined to the domain.  The other settings specified here makes it so that the ONLY thing that you'll be prompted for upon starting up Windows for the first time with this particular .xml file is going to be a computer name.  It is possible to specify a computer name in the .xml file, but I did not want to automate the naming process for our work environment.

12.  I couldn't consistently get the "StartPanelLinks" to work properly, but it does work.. sometimes.  This will place shortcuts in your start menu for you, but I just ended up scripting that.  I will get into that script later.

13.  The "TaskbarLinks" in my .xml file actually do work, however, it does not remove the 3 default links that are there (IE, WMP, and Windows Explorer) - all this does is simply add Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 to the taskbar shortcuts.  I used a script very similar to what was posted at the top of this thread to further customize the taskbar. 

14.  Registered Name and Registered Owner needs to be changed to what you want it to be.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<settings pass="generalize">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-SPP" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <SkipRearm>1</SkipRearm>
            </component>
        </settings>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <RunSynchronous>
                    <RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
                        <Order>1</Order>
                        <Path>net user administrator /active:yes</Path>
                    </RunSynchronousCommand>
                </RunSynchronous>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-SPP-UX" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <SkipAutoActivation>true</SkipAutoActivation>
            </component>
                <TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time</TimeZone>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-IE-InternetExplorer" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <DisableFirstRunWizard>true</DisableFirstRunWizard>
                <Home_Page>http://www.yourhomepage.com/</Home_Page>
            </component>
        </settings>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
            </component>
                <AutoLogon>
                    <Password>
                        <Value>UABhAHMAcwB3AG8AcgBkAA==</Value>
                        <PlainText>false</PlainText>
                    </Password>
                    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
                    <LogonCount>5</LogonCount>
                    <Username>administrator</Username>
                </AutoLogon>
                <OOBE>
                    <HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>
                    <ProtectYourPC>3</ProtectYourPC>
                </OOBE>
                <StartPanelLinks>
                    <Link0></Link0>
                    <Link1></Link1>
                    <Link2></Link2>
                    <Link3></Link3>
                </StartPanelLinks>
                <TaskbarLinks>
                    <Link0>%allusersprofile%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Office Word 2007.lnk</Link0>
                    <Link1>%allusersprofile%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Office Excel 2007.lnk</Link1>
                    <Link2>%allusersprofile%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007.lnk</Link2>
                </TaskbarLinks>
                <UserAccounts>
                    <AdministratorPassword>
                        <Value>QQBkAG0AaQBuAGkAcwB0AHIAYQB0AG8AcgBQAGEAcwBzAHcAbwByAGQA</Value>
                    </AdministratorPassword>
                    <LocalAccounts>
                        <LocalAccount wcm:action="add">
                            <Password>
                                <Value>UABhAHMAcwB3AG8AcgBkAA==</Value>
                            </Password>
                            <Description>Local Administrator</Description>
                            <DisplayName>Administrator</DisplayName>
                            <Group>Administrators</Group>
                            <Name>Administrator</Name>
                        </LocalAccount>
                    </LocalAccounts>
                </UserAccounts>
                <RegisteredOrganization>Your Registered Name</RegisteredOrganization>
                <RegisteredOwner>Your Registered Owner</RegisteredOwner>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="catalog:c:/dvd/sources/install_windows 7 professional.clg" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On top of the .xml file, I placed this .vbs script in the "Startup" folder for the default user.  During "Audit" mode, place this script in the Startup folder of the built-in Admin account if you plan on using the "CopyProfile=True" setting, but just make sure you do not run the script before the profile is copied to the default profile - otherwise it will have already deleted itself.  The nice thing about this script is that it deletes itself after the first time a user logs on, but it is recreated every time a new user creates an account.  The user is totally unaware that a script is being run.

In this example, I have it set to unpin Windows Media Player from the taskbar.  I wanted to keep IE and Windows Explorer there, so I didn't touch those shortcuts.  I also have the script set to pin Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007, as well as GroupWise to the taskbar.  The same shortcuts are pinned to the Start Menu in this example.  You should be able to figure out how to customize it yourself for any shortcuts that you may want.  I do not take full credit for this script.  I'm not even a programmer - I just picked up bits and pieces from other forums.

One thing to take note - even if you specify Taskbar shortcuts or StartMenu shortcuts in your .xml file, this script will not duplicate those shortcuts.  This script will check to see if those shortcuts are already there, and if they aren't, it will create them for you.

Option Explicit 

Const CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS = &H17
    Const CSIDL_PROGRAMS = &H2
    Const CSIDL_STARTMENU = &HB

Dim objShell, objFSO
    Dim objCurrentUserStartFolder
    Dim strCurrentUserStartFolderPath
    Dim objAllUsersProgramsFolder
    Dim strAllUsersProgramsPath
    Dim objFolder
    Dim objFolderItem
    Dim colVerbs
    Dim objVerb

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    Set objCurrentUserStartFolder = objShell.NameSpace (CSIDL_STARTMENU)
    strCurrentUserStartFolderPath = objCurrentUserStartFolder.Self.Path
    Set objAllUsersProgramsFolder = objShell.NameSpace(CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS)
    strAllUsersProgramsPath = objAllUsersProgramsFolder.Self.Path

' - Remove pinned items -

'Windows Media Player
    If objFSO.FileExists(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Windows Media Player.lnk") Then
        Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath)
        Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Windows Media Player.lnk")
        Next
    End If

' - Pin to Taskbar -

'Word 2007
    If objFSO.FileExists(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Office Word 2007.lnk") Then
        Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office")
        Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Microsoft Office Word 2007.lnk")
     If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Taskbar" Then objVerb.DoIt
        Next
    End If

'Excel 2007
    If objFSO.FileExists(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Office Excel 2007.lnk") Then
        Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office")
        Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Microsoft Office Excel 2007.lnk")
        Next
    End If

'PowerPoint 2007
    If objFSO.FileExists(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007.lnk") Then
        Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007.lnk")
        Next
    End If

'GroupWise
    If objFSO.FileExists(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Novell GroupWise\GroupWise.lnk") Then
        Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Novell GroupWise")
        Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("GroupWise.lnk")
        Next
    End If

' - Pin to Start Menu -

'GroupWise
    If objFSO.FileExists(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Novell GroupWise\GroupWise.lnk") Then
        Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Novell GroupWise")
        Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("GroupWise.lnk")
     If Replace(objVerb.name, "&", "") = "Pin to Start Menu" Then objVerb.DoIt
        Next
    End If

'Word 2007
    If objFSO.FileExists(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Office Word 2007.lnk") Then
        Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Microsoft Office Word 2007.lnk")
        Next
    End If

'Excel 2007
    If objFSO.FileExists(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Office Excel 2007.lnk") Then
        Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Microsoft Office Excel 2007.lnk")
        Next
    End If

'PowerPoint 2007
    If objFSO.FileExists(strAllUsersProgramsPath & "\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007.lnk") Then
        Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007.lnk")
        Next
    End If

'Delete the script
    DeleteSelf

Sub DeleteSelf()      
            Dim objFSO
            'Create a File System Object
            'Delete the currently executing script
            objFSO.DeleteFile WScript.ScriptFullName
            Set objFSO = Nothing
    End Sub

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 2:21 PM
  • Nice work.  I would make a slight correction on #4.  CopyProfile doesn't use the current user, although that may have been its intention.  It seems to copy from the Administrator account if it's there, or the last created account.  I don't even think audit mode is necessary.

• Proposed as answer by JS2010 Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:21 AM
    Tuesday, July 06, 2010 3:16 PM
  • I think what you want to say is that CopyProfile can break if you've created more than one profile...

Also, personally I like Audit mode...

You can even put a step in your XML so that your Autounattend.xml will boot you right into that mode...

In the oobeSystem simply add a "Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" component and in the Reseal section, set that to "Audit" and then you'll no longer have to use the magic key-stroke combo to login.

Of course then you can even get fancier and put some RunSynchronous commands in your auditUser section and have that continue on your process of making your Reference Image.

Mike...
    Tuesday, July 06, 2010 5:06 PM
  • I think what you want to say is that CopyProfile can break if you've created more than one profile...

Also, personally I like Audit mode...

You can even put a step in your XML so that your Autounattend.xml will boot you right into that mode...

In the oobeSystem simply add a "Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" component and in the Reseal section, set that to "Audit" and then you'll no longer have to use the magic key-stroke combo to login.

Of course then you can even get fancier and put some RunSynchronous commands in your auditUser section and have that continue on your process of making your Reference Image.

Mike...

Actually, I do use a separate .xml file when I'm building a reference image so that Windows boots directly into audit mode, but the one I posted here is for restoring an image ready for use by the end-user. 

Using System Image Manager, I went through the "Help" portion of every single individual setting to see what all the unattend file can do.  There's quite a bit you can do with it (that I haven't included in the .xml example), but I think MS needs to refine it even further.  It would be nice if it did everything I wanted it to do without having to use a script.

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 5:39 PM
  • What benefit does audit mode give you?  I thought it was for installing custom software after imaging but before the oobe welcome screen.

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 6:22 PM
  • What benefit does audit mode give you?  I thought it was for installing custom software after imaging but before the oobe welcome screen.

Well, at the very least, you don't have to go through the OOBE after you install a fresh copy of Windows, so you don't have to select a language, network location, create a profile, etc.  It will boot you directly into the built-in administrator account.

If you already have a reference image that you would like to make further customizations to, you can also boot into audit mode to do so like you are saying, so you can skip the OOBE.  The OOBE will not run until you run the /oobe switch with sysprep.

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 2:04 PM

Well, at the very least, you don't have to go through the OOBE after you install a fresh copy of Windows, so you don't have to select a language, network location, create a profile, etc.  It will boot you directly into the built-in administrator account.

If you already have a reference image that you would like to make further customizations to, you can also boot into audit mode to do so like you are saying, so you can skip the OOBE.  The OOBE will not run until you run the /oobe switch with sysprep.

You can skip OOBE without going into audit mode if that's what you want to do. Just set :
     <
    SkipMachineOOBE
    >
    true</
    SkipMachineOOBE
    >

< SkipUserOOBE > true</ SkipUserOOBE >
    In your answer file And when your ready to sysprep, call /OOBE vs. /audit.
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Personally, I like to run OOBE when it's ready to deploy to the end-user, but my unattend file is set up so that it only prompts for a computer name.  I'm the one that will be powering up the PC for the first time, not the actual end-user, so I prefer to specify a computer name before I give it to someone.  The other settings are specified in my unattend file.

However, I seem to remember System Image Manager saying that the "Skip___OOBE" settings were deprecated.  Have you personally gotten this to work?

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 2:49 PM
  • Yes, the Skip OOBE setting works every time. Our MSVL license allow us to give one copy of windows to faculty and staff for off campus use. For those images, I only embed the MAK key and leave the OOBE setting alone since they'll be putting it on their personal machines. For my on-campus deployments, I use the skip OOBE because we use SCCM which handles everything that OOBE does and then some. Since I don't always (almost never) get to touch a machine before the end-user, I just make the name based on the department and the service tag and try to cut them out of the deployment process as much as possible.

Not sure why its deprecated, but some settings I use in my answer file are and they still work fine. Thats not to say that they will if MS decides to kill them with an update, but for now they do.
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 3:29 PM
  • I just answer all the oobe questions in the answer file, and I never see the welcome screen.

http://blog.brianleejackson.com/sysprep-a-windows-7-machine-%E2%80%93-start-to-finish-v2

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 6:01 PM
  • I'm glad I found this thread. I am trying to edit the default user profile on a server 2008 standard box that is going to be a terminal server. Well I totally trashed the default user profile by using the copy profile button or what ever it is. It's been reported that it is greyed out but it wasn't on mine.

All hope wasn't lost. I found this thread and still had a working domain user, administrator, on the box. So I customized that profile in hopes of sysprep using it as a template to recreate the default user profile. I created the following unattend.xml file.

<TimeZone></TimeZone>
                <RegisteredOrganization>Pathfinder LL&amp;D</RegisteredOrganization>
                <RegisteredOwner />
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-IE-InternetExplorer" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <DisableFirstRunWizard>true</DisableFirstRunWizard>
                <Home_Page>http://webservices.pathfinderlld.com</Home_Page>
                <IEWelcomeMsg>false</IEWelcomeMsg>
            </component>
        </settings>
            </component>
                <OOBE>
                </OOBE>
                <VisualEffects>
                    <FontSmoothing>On</FontSmoothing>
                </VisualEffects>
                <WindowsFeatures>
                    <ShowInternetExplorer>true</ShowInternetExplorer>
                    <ShowMediaCenter>false</ShowMediaCenter>
                    <ShowWindowsMail>false</ShowWindowsMail>
                    <ShowWindowsMediaPlayer>false</ShowWindowsMediaPlayer>
                </WindowsFeatures>
                <RegisteredOrganization>Pathfinder LL&amp;D</RegisteredOrganization>
                <RegisteredOwner />
            </component>
        </settings>
        <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="catalog:c:/users/jlong/desktop/s08/sources/install_windows longhorn serverstandardv.clg" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

Well apparently my unattend file sucks because I got an error when doing the first run. I didn't write down the error. So it rebooted and now it says "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed... blah blah blah. And now it's stuck in an endless reboot loop!

WTF MSFT? Why is this so difficult? I guess I'll blow out a fully configured and installed terminal server with XenApp5 fully installed and configured. S*@& the box was ready to go into production!!! I spent many hours installing each and every software app, getting the box ready for production, testing, testing, testing... and finally creating the default user profile. Now to start all over. What a waste of time. No wonder so many people, including my self have stuck with XP and Server 2003.

*Edit, I am using 1 terminal server and supporting 50 users. No more than 10 people are logged in remotely at a time.

Monday, July 12, 2010 4:28 PM
  • hklm\software\microsoft\windows nt\current version\profilelist can't have any profiles that point to deleted folders, or sysprep /w copyprofile will fail.

Monday, July 12, 2010 5:53 PM
  • I just reinstalled server 2008. Joined the domain, installed terminal services role and customized the domain administrator profile. I used the same unattend.xml file as I posted above. I ran this command, sysprep.exe /oobe /reboot /generalize /unattend:c:\unattend.xml

And I get an error.

"Windows could not parse or process unattend answer file [C:\Windows\Panther\unattend.xml] for pass [Specialize]. A component or setting specified in the answer file does not exist."

The server reboots after I click OK.

And then I get this error.

"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed..." blah blah blah.

This time however I took a snapshot of the VM! So I don't have to reinstall.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Monday, July 12, 2010 6:45 PM
  • I just reinstalled server 2008. Joined the domain, installed terminal services role and customized the domain administrator profile. I used the same unattend.xml file as I posted above. I ran this command, sysprep.exe /oobe /reboot /generalize /unattend:c:\unattend.xml

And I get an error.

"Windows could not parse or process unattend answer file [C:\Windows\Panther\unattend.xml] for pass [Specialize]. A component or setting specified in the answer file does not exist."

"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed..." blah blah blah.

Thanks.

What settings do have in the specialize pass? If you could post that chunk it would be helpful.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 6:54 PM
  • The unattend.xml file is posted 3 posts above yours.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 6:56 PM
  • Ok, give this a shot. I had this issue in the past...

In your specialize pass, change your "RegisteredOrganization" to "Microsoft" and your "Registered Owner" to "AutoBVT"

I remember reading somewhere a while back that you will get an error if these are not left as the default settings. Dunno why, but add your custom registered organization name under the oobe system pass since that's where it pulls that info from anyway.

Here is what mine looks like and it works 100% of the time.

<ComputerName>tl000d00</ComputerName>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-SPP-UX" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <SkipAutoActivation>true</SkipAutoActivation>
            </component>
        </settings>

Hopefully that will help somewhat.

Monday, July 12, 2010 7:06 PM
  • I got the same error.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 8:18 PM
  • I think I figured it out. I ran a validation and this was a problem. <DisableFirstRunWizard>true</DisableFirstRunWizard>

I'm trying again.

Monday, July 12, 2010 8:26 PM
  • Ok, This is the unattend.xml file that worked for the first time.

</component>
        </settings>
        <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="catalog:c:/users/jlong/desktop/s08/sources/install_windows longhorn serverstandardv.clg" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

But I have big problems. Now I am in a workgroup and basically it's like I have started over after a fresh install. I created a new folder on the desktop of the domain admin account and it showed up in the default profile folder. So at least I am making progress! Albeit a little slow, this is so ridiculous!

Monday, July 12, 2010 8:53 PM

And I get an error.

Thanks.

I don't think sysprep will copy the domain administrator profile, will it?
    Monday, July 12, 2010 9:23 PM
  • I don't think sysprep will copy the domain administrator profile, will it?
    It appears to have. I was able to rejoin the domain using the same computer name. I logged in as a domain user and the default profile appears to be setup with the settings I set using the domain administrator. I am pushing forward with the installation of my programs and will see how the sysprep runs again to update the default profile.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 9:27 PM
  • So, I got it to work sort of. This method of creating a new default user profile is like ripping the siding off your house and putting up new siding just because you wanted to change the color of the paint! It's so F'in pointless to have to go through all this just to set preferences.

And on top of all this I had a screwed up problem with the network card issuing a 169 something address even with a static IP. Then if you change the static IP the default gateway goes away. And finally the citrix web interface is hosed, 500 internal server error, for some reason. Is it because of using sysprep or because the IP address was screwed up?

It's not been a fun process.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:07 PM
  • It might be better to use a regular account for the default profile;  then it won't get deleted.  (Unless you can manage to script the whole profile configuration.)  But then you have to make sure the administrator profile is deleted, make sure there's no other newer profiles, and clean deleted profiles out of ProfileList in the registry. Make a backup before sysprepping.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:51 PM
  • I do have an image of the system pre sysprep. I don't think I had any problems with the profiles at this point. It's just the other bugs that have occurred. I'm just going to create a training guide to teach people what to do when they first login. Then I will follow up with each user and make sure all the settings in their profile are working. It's easier that way. Thank goodness I work for a small business. I'm not putting one more hour into something that I will never use again or forget how to use a year from now when I need it again. I hope Microsoft wakes up to the endless problems created because of screwing with the easy modification of the Default Profile and fixes it sometime in the near future.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:09 PM
  • After all this I tried the Copy To... button one more time. I used the domain administrator account to setup all the settings then logged out. Logged in as the local administrator, took ownership of all files and sub folders in the Default profile folder. You have to take ownership of each sub folder in the Default profile folder. Checking Replace owner on subcontainers and objects doesn't work when taking ownership of the Default folder. Then use the Copy To... button and add the local everyone group to the Permitted to use section. Then overwrite the Default profile. Worked like a charm quite a few times. Gees what a headache!
    Friday, July 16, 2010 7:46 PM

And I get an error.

Thanks.

I have seen this exact same error and issues with Windows 7 Enterprise if I try and sysprep an image that isn't activated with the KMS.

If Computer Properties says 'Windows is activated' then the issue doesn't occur.

• Proposed as answer by KnowledgeTree Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:07 PM
    Friday, August 13, 2010 12:14 PM
  • I find this interesting that this thread is marked "Answered" when it is not in fact answered.

I have been dealing with this issue for a long time now because it has impeded our ability to deploy Windows 7.

I have, just today, successfully come up with a quick and easy solution.

I have created a video on how to convert Windows XP profiles (copied using the Copy button) into Windows 7 mandatory profiles. I have tested it and it works well.

I create a video and a webpage to outline the steps.

http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/Windows7/Profiles.html

This profile, because it has all user specific settings stripped, can then be used as the Default User one for Windows 7.

I find it interesting that the "answered" post says they don't support it anymore which is not a solution in reality.

lforbes
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 11:10 PM
  • Hi,

This is how the copy profile in Windows 7 has worked for me for the past 6 months:

1. Install Windows 7 (All my settings done in Windows 7 Enterprise 32bit and 64bit)

2. Created an Admin account when asked and install all the software you need prior to capture image (Office, Flash, PDF reader, Silverlight, Quicktime, etc)

3. Enabled built-in Administrator account

4. Setup Administrator profile the way you want the default profile to be set (Start Menu, Desktop, Wallpaper, OEM background, Screen saver, etc.)

5. Once you have the Adminsitrator profile the way you want it run a disk clean and defrag; also, good idea to remove any history in IE, and start menu

6. Logg off from the Adminsitrator account and login with the admin account created on setup

7. Disable the build-in Administrator account

8. copy the code below in a xml file named sysprep.xml  or unattend.xml

* For 32bit

<TimeZone>Mountain Standard Time</TimeZone>
            </component>
                <ShowMenuBar>true</ShowMenuBar>
                <Home_Page>Yourhomepage</Home_Page>
            </component>
        </settings>
            </component>
                <OOBE>
                </OOBE>
                <RegisteredOrganization>Your Org</RegisteredOrganization>
                <RegisteredOwner>Your Org</RegisteredOwner>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="catalog:e:/sources/install_windows 7 enterprise.clg" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

* For 64bit

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <TimeZone>Mountain Standard Time</TimeZone>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-IE-InternetExplorer" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <Home_Page>Yourhomepage</Home_Page>
                <ShowMenuBar>true</ShowMenuBar>
            </component>
        </settings>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <OOBE>
                </OOBE>
                <RegisteredOrganization>YourOrg</RegisteredOrganization>
                <RegisteredOwner>YourOrg</RegisteredOwner>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="catalog:e:/sources/install_windows 7 enterprise.clg" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

9. Copy the file above in directory c:\windows\system32\sysprep

10. open a CMD prompt window with elevated privileges and change the directory to c:\windows\system32\sysprep

11. Run this command:  sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:sysprep.xml

12. Windows will sysprep the system and apply the sysprep.xml settings; the copyprofile settings will copy the buil-in Administrator profile to the default profile. After this the system willshutdown.

13. Capture your image either with Ghost or the tool I use for deployment IMAGEX.EXE

NOTE: If you use SCCM server to deploy Windows 7; step 11 command needs to be change from /shutdown to /reboot then you need to follow steps from the step 3

Hope the above helps.

Alberto

Infrastructure Analyst
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Following the instructions in the Microsoft article (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=973289) and the linked article to add some taskbar and start menu items worked pretty well after a few attempts. 

Just one problem: The default user profile ballooned to over 70M and a new user picks up about 25M of that.

Being used to default user profiles around 1-2M, I ask 2 questions:

1. Is this a problem that a new user (these are lab computers- many users come and go) starts out with a 25M profile?
    2. Is there a special way to shave down the Administrator profile (presumably the source of the bloat) before that final sysprep/genralize run? 

I've set the local GPO to delete profiles over 6 months old, let's hope this actually works.

Thanks,

David

Thursday, May 12, 2011 12:56 AM
  • How long would it take you guys to create a simple tool that will just copy the current profile to the default profile the right way.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:47 PM
  • How long would it take you guys to create a simple tool that will just copy the current profile to the default profile the right way.
    Yeah, this!
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:36 PM
  • I manage 50 Mandatory Roaming profiles so running sysprep on a machine for every registry modifcation for new software is INSANE.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the tool that was available for Windows XP IF you knew some simple things.

1> Delete all the desktop.ini files.

2> Go to the HKCU-Software-Microsoft-Windows-Current Version-Explorer-User Shell Folders and Shell Folders and update for generic ones that were in the Default User.

That being said with Windows 7, I have done a few things.

1> Converted my Windows XP profiles to Windows 7 ones manually (see video on my site linked above in my previous post) and then used that as a Default User.V2 in my NETLOGON after testing. It works about 90% of the time. If all else fails the ntuser.dat won't convert and you have to do manual modification anyway.

2> Use "Windows Enabler" to enable the "Copy Button" to just copy the profile like with XP, making SURE that you do remember to delete the desktop.ini files AND load the profile in the registry to check the shell folders.  http://download.freewarefiles.com/files/WindowsEnablerv1.1.zip

Note when you activate Windows Enabler with Windows 7 the copy button is STILL GREY but if you click on it, it works.

Windows Enabler can run off a share or a stick as well.

lforbes
    • Proposed as answer by Pcreator345 Tuesday, April 08, 2014 4:47 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 1:12 AM
  • Hi Paul, I don't suppose that you will ever read this but you really need to stop being a shill for M$.  I get the impression that you have never had to do a large roll out of new PC's.  I worked for the state deparment of corrections for four years setting up new PC's to be used by the staff that were replacing old green screen terminals.  (in that time I shipped over 4000, yes 4000 PC's) It seems so easy just to say that you can set each PC up for the user when you put it on their desk, WOW are you a dreamer!  These PC's were used 24-7-365 by many different users and the state wanted them all to have exactly the same desktop and total configuration.  This is IMPOSSIBLE to do with Windows 7!  How would you like to be the guy who has to travel 150 miles on a Saturday night to set up a PC for a new guard who starts work for the first time at midnight that night?   DUH, not me.  With the way you could do it on XP all he had to do was log on and it WORKED! 

We are talking here about users who thought that you put the mouse on the floor and it worked like the control on momma's sewing machine or complained when the coffee cup holder on the PC broke off!

In my opinion this is why Windows 7 has not been adapted by the business community, XP just works, it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

M$ needs to fix Windows 7! PERIOD!

I am convinced that someone at M$, probably baldy, gets a spiff everytime on of us fools runs sysprep! 

Ted McCarty
    Friday, August 12, 2011 5:31 PM
  • Hi All,

I've been following this thread and re-visiting periodically for about a year now. We all must agree that there are many more problems with Microsoft and this is just the tip of the iceberg, altho this issue is my biggest problem. I have recently resigned myself to the fact that we are witnessing Microsoft deteriorate as a company. This happended due to an office update that trashes excel and the "fix" that Microsoft offers is not really a fix. I'm done believing anything they say. I believe they are actually unable to assist us here or in the myriad of other issues they have created. Trusting them is very dangerous to your career, if your employment depends on fixing problems and providing an acceptable user experience. Aside from all that, my already stressed mental health just cannot take any more of this.

I use sysprep to roll out teacher and student images because i have to make them unique in the way that newsid does for me on xp. Copying the default profile is done using windows enabler, then going thru ntuser.dat of the default user and removing user specific paths. I have developed probably 10 win7 images now and think i have a system that works. I worry that windows 8 will actually bring a reality where we are finally unable to image pc's at all. But in the interest of sanity i do not focus on that very much.

Please do yourselves a favor and acknowledge that we are on our own here. The community of admins is your best hope for help. Treat anything from Microsoft with the suspicion it is due.

Monday, August 15, 2011 11:32 AM
  • I'm curious..  Has anyone tried this?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

This is a Microsoft "official" method for copying a user profile..  is there any reason why it couldn't be used to copy into C:\Users\Default?

Monday, September 26, 2011 1:29 AM
  • I'm curious..  Has anyone tried this?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

This is a Microsoft "official" method for copying a user profile..  is there any reason why it couldn't be used to copy into C:\Users\Default?

That just copies the user files. It doesn't copy the ntuser.dat which is the profile registry settings. Therefore it is pretty useless.
    lforbes
    Monday, September 26, 2011 2:31 AM
  • I have used it to replace a corrupt profile and it does a pretty nifty job of copying EVERYTHING...  icon locations, development environments, folder and search options, homepage settings, etc..  It even sets the wallpaper.

By not copying ntuser.dat, it should avoid the problem of registry entries still referencing the old user paths.  I say "should" because I haven't actually tried it yet.

on another note, I was planning on attempting the sysprep method today, but I hit a snag...  HP doesn't include Windows 7 DVD's with new computers anymore.  I see that WAIK requires install.wim off the DVD.  Am I up the proverbial estuary without a means of locomotion?

Monday, September 26, 2011 2:36 PM
  • The process I use sound pretty much the same as most others in this thread but I haven't seen many examples of specifically what fails or, rather, what error message occurs to stop the process.  (Maybe I read it too quickly, but there are quite a few messages and I was anxious to see if a definitive answer had been found.

Below are the steps I've taken, the unattend.xml file I used and the error I receive.  I'm hoping that someone will point out a silly mistake I made...but expecting a response indicating that this is the same exact problem that everyone else is having and I just didn't read everything well enough.

•  Install Windows 7 Professional
    •  Enter Audit Mode by pressing CTL-SHIFT-F3
    •  Close the 'System Preparation Tool' GUI
    •  Install all software (Microsoft Office, Adobe Reader, etc.)
    •  Change power settings, modify Internet Explorer settings
    •  Create unattend.xml using WAIK (more on this file below)
    • Copy unattend.xml to C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep
    • Open an elevated command prompt
    • Browse to the C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep
    • Enter the command (without quotes) 'sysprep \generalize \oobe \shutdown \unattend:unattend.xml'
    • A minute or so later, the computer reboots
    • After running through it's initial process, the following message appears:

Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass [specialize]. The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup].

Now, I've used multiple variations of my original unattend file...naming the computer, joining our Domain, adding Domain and local users, etc.  Everything will go through except the copy profile.  In each instance, the above error occurs.  The most recent (hour ago) attempt used an answer file containing only the copy profile option and, again, failed.

The entire answer file, created using WAIK, is:

<ComputerName></ComputerName>
                <TimeZone></TimeZone>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:[PATH]/install.wim#Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

Am I missing something?  Or I am running into the exact same problem everyone else is having and not realizing it?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:44 PM
  • If memory serves, You may need to add registered orginization and registered owner and I remember reading somewhere that they HAVE to be there and have to have Microsoft as the organization and AutoBVT as the owner. This is what I use to copy my profiles to default and I haven't had any issues with it. Been using it for over a year now

<ComputerName>default01</ComputerName>
            </component>

Also, this doesn't change the Registered Organization and Owner on the machine since its not in the oobeSystem section

• Edited by Bryce17 Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:15 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:09 PM
  • How is Windows 8 with this stuff?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Bryce...I remember reading about that in a number of posts.  While I haven't paid as close attention to the unattend file as I probably should, I just checked a couple of things.  In WAIK, those things (Microsoft as the organization & AutoBVT as the owner) are shown. But when I save the file they're missing.

That being said, I added those sections to the unattend file; it now looks like:

<TimeZone></TimeZone>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:[PATH]/install.wim#Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>

Unfortunately the same error occurred.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:27 PM
  • The process I use sound pretty much the same as most others in this thread but I haven't seen many examples of specifically what fails or, rather, what error message occurs to stop the process.  (Maybe I read it too quickly, but there are quite a few messages and I was anxious to see if a definitive answer had been found.

Below are the steps I've taken, the unattend.xml file I used and the error I receive.  I'm hoping that someone will point out a silly mistake I made...but expecting a response indicating that this is the same exact problem that everyone else is having and I just didn't read everything well enough.

•  Install Windows 7 Professional
    •  Enter Audit Mode by pressing CTL-SHIFT-F3
    •  Close the 'System Preparation Tool' GUI
    •  Install all software (Microsoft Office, Adobe Reader, etc.)
    •  Change power settings, modify Internet Explorer settings
    •  Create unattend.xml using WAIK (more on this file below)
    • Copy unattend.xml to C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep
    • Open an elevated command prompt
    • Browse to the C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep
    • Enter the command (without quotes) 'sysprep \generalize \oobe \shutdown \unattend:unattend.xml'
    • A minute or so later, the computer reboots
    • After running through it's initial process, the following message appears:

Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for pass [specialize]. The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied. The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup].

Now, I've used multiple variations of my original unattend file...naming the computer, joining our Domain, adding Domain and local users, etc.  Everything will go through except the copy profile.  In each instance, the above error occurs.  The most recent (hour ago) attempt used an answer file containing only the copy profile option and, again, failed.

The entire answer file, created using WAIK, is:

<TimeZone></TimeZone>
            </component>
        </settings>
    </unattend>

Am I missing something?  Or I am running into the exact same problem everyone else is having and not realizing it?

There is a flaw in it for sure. I have built Sysprep images of Windows 7 to deploy through Windows Deployment service.

The sysprep works fantastically UNLESS I tell it to copy the profile. The minute I do that it corrupts the entire image with that exact Error.

BTW this is the BEST step by step I have found for Sysprep.

Seriously use the Windows Enabler and just copy the profile using the Copy Utility. Then delete all the desktop.ini and check the registry path HKCU-Software-Microsoft-Windows-CurrentVersion-Explorer-Shell folders and User Shell Folders and manually change for your pathways.

I have a video outlining it here http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/Frames/Videos.html

Currently now I have successfully deployed Windows 7 across 3 separate domains using both Mandatory and Roaming profiles that were converted from XP just fine.

lforbes
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:09 PM
  • How is Windows 8 with this stuff?

Nobody knows at the moment. Its only in preview right now and none of the tools (WAIK, etc.) have been released. Will probably see and hear more when it goes into beta
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:12 PM
  • I don't know if this will help anyone, but so far this has worked for me.

1. I install Win 7 from the DVD

2. enable administrator then log on and delete the account that windows install creates then join to my domain

3.  Then I logon with my network account (lets say FREDS account )I customized it as my default account

4. Next restart and log on as administrator and go to the following registry setting

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Next I modified the Default string REG_EXPAND_SZ value data to read %SystemDrive%\Users\FREDS

So far every user that has logged onto the system has the same settings as FREDS icons, programs, printers ect.

I then create and deploy my image.

I am trying this method, and when I try to log in to the newly created account, I get an error: "The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded."
    DBVD
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Do it manually the old way. http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=security/windows-7-copy-default-profile. Desktop themes can be done by creating a themepack file and having it runonce in registry for each person that logs on.

Forget everything else on this thread if all you want to do is create a costum configured profile and have that profile copied and used for all new users loging in for the first time. Use the Evil Fingers utility found at the above link.

ALL Microsoft did was disable the "Copy To..." button! That's it. : | This utilty re-enables it, then you can copy profiles just as you have always done in XP.

Why Microsoft, why?

DBVD
    • Proposed as answer by brockie Friday, January 06, 2012 10:02 PM
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 8:33 PM
  • Hi, I would simply add my voice to the choir of complaints... I'm working on a deployment via MDT 2010 and it's a great tool, but I really hope that Microsoft will soon add a more "elegant" way to customize the default user profile... :-/

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:25 PM
  • I have written a set of programs to customize the default profile. We have been using it on campus for staff and student lab images for a year and it seems to be working. If you would like to try it, the link is http://util.saddleback.edu/fixprofile.zip. I use KMS, so I have commands to rearm Win 7 and Office 2010. If you are using MAK, make sure to comment out the rearm lines in the code.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:24 PM
  • Hey everyone. I know this is an old thread but just in case anyone is looking for an answer for this still I thought I'd chime in. I work at a University where we use the "Copy to" functionality to customize the default profile in our Labs. There is a command line tool called "Profile tool" which, among other functions has a "Setdefault" option. It copies over registry keys, files, folders, etc. It isn't supported by windows but I can safely say that in using it across all the labs, we haven't had an issue with OS stability as a result of using this. Here is the link http://profiletool.sourceforge.net/. Hope this helps.
    Friday, September 20, 2013 3:59 PM
  • mgcherneski.

I tried the Profile Tool which seemed to work ok. 2 things I noticed that didn't seem to work.

1. The new user I had login had a black background. Under personalization it said nothing was selected even though before I did the copy I selected the aero theme.

2. The picture for the new user was not the logo of the company. In the default user profile I configured I selected a specific picture to use for the profile, but that did not come across. 

Have experienced the same issue?

• Edited by DMobley232 Sunday, September 22, 2013 11:09 PM Spelling
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 10:36 PM
  • Tried using the Evil Fingers and worked ok except for:

1. The new user I had login had a black background.

2. The picture for the new user account was not the logo of the company. It was just a default picture of the orange flower.

Other than that it seemed to work.

Sunday, September 22, 2013 11:09 PM
  • Hey everyone. I know this is an old thread but just in case anyone is looking for an answer for this still I thought I'd chime in. I work at a University where we use the "Copy to" functionality to customize the default profile in our Labs. There is a command line tool called "Profile tool" which, among other functions has a "Setdefault" option. It copies over registry keys, files, folders, etc. It isn't supported by windows but I can safely say that in using it across all the labs, we haven't had an issue with OS stability as a result of using this. Here is the link http://profiletool.sourceforge.net/. Hope this helps.
    I'm just a new user of a single Windows 7 SP1 machine (eventually it will be two) wanting to copy a laboriously configured Administrator profile into Default User so that I can create new Standard User accounts that will start up with the same configuration.  Are people still having good luck with "Profile Tool?"  Would it work for me too, or is it just for deploying images on new machines? -- JCW2
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:30 PM
  • I'm just a new user of a single Windows 7 SP1 machine (eventually it will be two) wanting to copy a laboriously configured Administrator profile into Default User so that I can create new Standard User accounts that will start up with the same configuration.  Are people still having good luck with "Profile Tool?"  Would it work for me too, or is it just for deploying images on new machines? -- JCW2

"Fix a Corrupted User Profile"" -- Here's a genuine Microsoft instruction somebody pointed out that would seem to solve my limited problem, avoiding the Default User entirely:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

Has anyone tried this technique?  Does anyone see any reason it wouldn't work?  Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:55 PM
  • Excuse me,

When do you Delete the desktop.ini files?

Do you delete all the desktop.ini files from the entire PC or just only from the user folder?

Can you explain more expecifically the "Go to the HKCU-Software-Microsoft-Windows-Current Version-Explorer-User Shell Folders and Shell Folders and update for generic ones that were in the Default User" step?

Thank you a lot!

Tuesday, April 08, 2014 3:48 PM