none
Windows Couldn't remove your computer from the home group.

Question

• I want to exit home group and disable it as well. It cases real issues with some of my other network components.But first things first... I would just like to get past thi: When I select "Leave the homegroup" I get the "*Windows couldn't remove your computer from the homegroup"....  i change all the networks I am attached to to public and tried again. same result. I tried unsharing printers.. deleting printers ... same result.  At this point I think I will try and rename it homelockup.

Monday, November 26, 2012 7:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like suggest you try to disable these two services HomeGroup Listener and HomeGroup Provider and check if it helps.

If you still fail to leave the homegroup with above approach, try to rename the following file and try again.

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst

Probably the file is corrupted. You can try by clicking Start the HomeGroup troubleshooter option again on homegroup window too.

Then try to leave homegroup again.

Regards.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like suggest you try to disable these two services HomeGroup Listener and HomeGroup Provider and check if it helps.

If you still fail to leave the homegroup with above approach, try to rename the following file and try again.

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst

Probably the file is corrupted. You can try by clicking Start the HomeGroup troubleshooter option again on homegroup window too.

Then try to leave homegroup again.

Regards.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:33 AM
  • Just to let you know that that no only did not work but when I went into home group troubleshooter it told me to go into the network troubleshooter which as usual found nothing or at the very least could not identify any problem.  I've had this problem for a couple of years and have tried so many different things I think I will reformat my disk drive and start over with a new install of Windows 7. 
    Sunday, November 03, 2013 2:06 AM
  • It works,

I have the same Problem, after i did your  two step suggestion it didn't work, but after restart windows it works. I can Leave my HomeGroup

thank you.

Monday, February 17, 2014 4:35 AM