Metered connection and connection sharing

Question

• Hi, is it possible to set up a cable connection as metered? Sometimes, you have a 3G / 4G router connected via a cable… or you have a traffic limit!

I would also be interested in better internet sharing features in Windows 8. The netch command isn't so good , it's actually very unreliable. I would like to share a mobile, cable or Wi-Fi connection to cable or Wi-Fi. I know, some wlan cards don't support bridging but some do and this funcionality shouldn't be limited by the OS.

It would also be very nice, if MS could figure out, when I copy something via a network over Wi-Fi and connect a cable, that it would use the additional bandwidth (for instance a laptop connected to a router via cable and Wi-Fi sending a video to a computer and copying files in the meantime...)

Is something of this possible now?

If not, could I suggest this features are added?

Thursday, May 24, 2012 8:40 AM

Answers

• Devices work with OS because of drivers. If no supported drivers are available, OS is not able provide functions to make them work.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, May 25, 2012 9:02 AM

All replies

• Devices work with OS because of drivers. If no supported drivers are available, OS is not able provide functions to make them work.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, May 25, 2012 9:02 AM
  • I have the latest drivers (Intel wifi, there are no Intel drivers for the chipset working on Win8RP at this point...) for my Dell Latitude E5500 laptop.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 5:02 PM
  • I know, everybody in the IT thinks, others don't know anything but that is not my case. There is no driver needed for this functionality. To set a cable connection (per ethernet cable for instance) as metered is a work for the OS!
    The driver just provides the "dialog" between the device and the OS. But the OS can simply stop pulling/sending data, right?

Explanation, why I need this personally:

Personally, I have a traffic limit on my cable internet provider. I just don't have any other possbility, then to check out their webpage for how much traffic I have left. I am provided with 6 GB per 7 following days.
    Somebody at MS could have thought about this one as it is common outside of the US and because there already was the code for wireless connections.

For further reference see this inquiry: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/metered-cable-connection/a5839c34-7a13-4e22-9d9d-d3eac941eb9a?page=1&tm=1339410102013#footer
    Monday, June 11, 2012 10:27 AM