none
This operation has ben canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

Question

• I have set a test environment of Server 2008 and Windows 7. I am trying to setup a GPO on server 2008 to have the Windows 7 pc for public use.  If under Group Policy Management Editor > User Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > System > Prevent access to drives from My Computer. This option is enabled. With A, B and C drives restricted. Then on the windows 7 pc. WordViewer gives this error: "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator". But the error only happens for WordViewer. Excel Viewer, PowerPoint Viewer, Notepad, Wordpad and Internet Explorer all work fine. Why does it restrict only Word Viewer? If under the Prevent access to drives policy I change it to only A and B drives the Word Viewer starts working.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since the error only occurs after selecting to hide the drive C, we can conclude that the issue is related to the group policy. At this stage, I suggest you perform the suggestions from the link below:

"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer."

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party link to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

If the issue persists, I suggest you run Process Monitor tool to monitor which file or registry cause the error. After installing and opening the Process Monitor tool, please temporarily disable it and clear the previous log. Then, please enable the tool and launch the Word Viewer. When the error pops up, please stop the tool as soon as possible and save the log file. If you cannot find the cause, please upload it.

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Tuesday, April 06, 2010 2:24 AM
    Friday, March 26, 2010 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hi PhilMcC,

Thanks for using Microsoft Answers!

I'm moving your thread to the TechNet forums in the Windows 7 community. They'll be able to better assist you there.

Cody C
    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:32 AM
  •  

Hi,

Are the operation system, Office program and Word Viewer program installed in drive C?

At this stage, if there is another local drive, I suggest you reinstall the Word Viewer program to another one for a test. This issue can occur if the program is denied to be accessed after running the policy.

Meanwhile, please also refer to the following article to troubleshoot the issue.

This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer

Hope this helps.

Novak

Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:37 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, the operating system and Word Viewer are both installed on the C drive. I did try unistalling Word Viewer from the Cdrive and installed it on a memory stick. Operating Word Viewer from the memory stick as long as the Cdrive is still hidden in the GPO settings I get the same error. "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer." But, if I unhide the Cdrive in the GPO, Word Viewer does not report the error. Even if I am running Word Viewer from the memory stick not the Cdrive.

The thing that is confusing is that I can close the error box and Word Viewer works fine. So, The error" this operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer." Has not stopped me from using Word Viewer. But, I still get the error when ever in the GPO I say to hide the cdrive from the public user. As I said before this does not effect Power Point Viewer, Excel Viewer, Notepad or Wordpad just WordViewer.

Thanks for the Ideas and help

Phil

Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Hi,

Since the error only occurs after selecting to hide the drive C, we can conclude that the issue is related to the group policy. At this stage, I suggest you perform the suggestions from the link below:

"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer."

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party link to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

If the issue persists, I suggest you run Process Monitor tool to monitor which file or registry cause the error. After installing and opening the Process Monitor tool, please temporarily disable it and clear the previous log. Then, please enable the tool and launch the Word Viewer. When the error pops up, please stop the tool as soon as possible and save the log file. If you cannot find the cause, please upload it.

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Tuesday, April 06, 2010 2:24 AM
    Friday, March 26, 2010 7:35 AM
  • The fix suggested by Novak Wu did not work for me, after some more googling around I stumbled upon a nothing fix that may be useful to others who had a similar scenario to me - this happened to me when upgrading Internet Explorer.

Follow this simple step by step guide:

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.

• Proposed as answer by A. TheOne Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:02 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

I'm sure you've resolved your issue by now, but thought I would post the solution I had to enforce, just in case it helps someone else.

Though the issue is sometimes caused by using Group Policy's to restrict drive access, it's not always just that simple to change the policy, as it's normally been set for security purposes.

The main reason why this was causing me an issue was the fact that the default user profile was linked to paths which where now restricted, or due to the error message provided, use trying to use local temporary folders to save files.

To fix the linked path issue I added a registry Group Policy to delete the following key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32. This key holds MRU details of the last file locations loaded for specific file formats.

To fix the temporary folder issue I added another Group Police to redirect the user Environment Variables. Group Policy Management Editor > Computer Configuration > Preferences > Windows Settings > Environment. Right Click > New Environment Variable. Action = Replace; User Variable = True (click the radio button); Name = TEMP; Value = * (replace * with a different path, i.e. \\ ..ServerName\RoamingProfiles\%USERNAME%; Click OK to save. Repeat the above steps and create another Environment property for TMP.

I hope this is of some help to someone.

Cheers.

• Edited by SunshineFall Thursday, November 07, 2013 11:06 AM
    Thursday, November 07, 2013 11:06 AM