none
USB ports not working

Question

• Hello,

I have a brand new laptop (three weeks old) with Windows 7 installed and no updates possible....like quite a lot of other people, it seems, my USB ports aren't working. Not even for a small memory stick with very little on it and no drivers required.

I have re-started, done the troubleshooting thing and tried my device on two other computers (works on both, even ancient dell from college). 
    Even changed power plan settings related to USB.
    I have tried every port.  the device is listed in 'Devices and Printers' and I can view its properties, but it isn't listed in 'Computer' and I can't open it.

Frusterated, as i really need to use document on stick and may have to resort to ancient dell with equally antique operating system. Why, oh why? Aren't things supposed to get better ha ha??
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi newto7,

Please refer to the steps below to reinstall the USB controllers and see if the issue can be resolved:

Reinstall the USB controllers

======

1. Click "Start" button, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the "Search" bar and press "Enter". Click "Continue" if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

If the issue persists, also perform the following suggestions:

Delete the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value for USB device

=====================================

1. Click the "Start" button, type "regedit" (without quotation marks) in the “Search" bar and then press “Enter”.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3. Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} entry, choose "Export", select “Desktop” in the “Save in” box and type "backup" (without quotation marks) in “File Name”. Click “Save”.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named “backup.reg”. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the “backup.reg” file.

4. Highlight this key ({36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} ), on the right pane, and then check if “Upperfilters” and “Lowerfilters” value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer to check the issue.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:02 AM
  • Thanks,

I did the first possible solution, re-started the computer and watched it install device drivers, etc. No change.

I tried the second option, but Upperfilters and Lowerfilters were not present under that key...

Do windows have a quick fix for all the people who are having this problem with 7? Am I going to have to re-install :(

I appreciate your help!  Any more possible solutions would be very much appreciated as my computer is more or less useless (a giant paperweight) without use of USB ports, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Thank again! 
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:37 AM
  • Here are a few of my possible solutions in the fight against USB (Unreliable Serial Bus) problems. Make sure your computer is free from malware before trying them. Read through and try any that seem significant. In no particular sequence, they are:

1. If the device has worked in the recent past, use system restore to return the computer to a state before it stopped working. Unfortunately, the odds are against it, but it has worked for others, so it‘s worth trying.
    2. Access Device Manager by going to the Windows Orb (Start), type devmgmt.msc and press Enter to see if the drive appears under ‘Disk drives‘. If it does, right-click it > Properties > Policies Tab and check if you have a ‘Quick Removable’ check box. A USB external ‘drive’ should have a check in this box. Restart the computer if you change anything.
    3. Remove all USB devices, except mouse and keyboard of course, restart and try the faulty device again. Also, restart the computer with the faulty USB drive already plugged in and, if appropriate, powered up.
    4. As it’s a storage device, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Folder Options > View Tab and make sure there is not a tick in’ Hide empty drives in the Computer folder‘ and further down, confirm that there is a tick in ‘Show drive letters’.  Now go to the Windows Orb (Start), type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter, then right-click the disk’s graphic icon (or unallocated space) and change the drive letter to one nearer the end of the alphabet. If it doesn’t have a letter, assign one to it.
    5. Microsoft’s USBview.exe might help, scroll down then download it from here http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities.htm  It doesn’t need installing. Click on an item in the left pane and look for Connection Status in the right pane. If any USB ports are missing, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Devices and Printers > Add a device.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:58 PM
  • Thanks for your help.

The first option doesn't apply- laptop is brand new, I haven't changed much at all and the device never worked on this PC.

Second option was attempted, but there is no 'quick removable' box.

Three was attepted yesterday.

Option four seems promising and I made it to the part where you said 'then right-click the disk’s graphic icon (or unallocated space) and change the drive letter to one nearer the end of the alphabet. If it doesn’t have a letter, assign one to it.' and was utterly lost...

I will try option five now- will any of this do harm to my laptop- will I have to change back any settings that I've altered following the advice I've been given so far?

Thanks again- really hope to get the usb working at some point- good news is all this highly technical stuff is probably teaching me new things. Bad news, it's at the cost of a productive work week!
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:06 PM
  • Thanks for your help.

The first option doesn't apply- laptop is brand new, I haven't changed much at all and the device never worked on this PC.

As the machine is brand new and the USB ports have never worked, have you considered returning it and getting a refund or replacement?

Running my number 5 will not harm the machine at all!
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:23 PM
  • I did try number 5 as well, but got stuck where you gave instructions to 'click on an item in the left pane....etc'. Could you maybe give more specific instructions for numbers 4 and 5? I wasn't sure what to click on in the left pane or even where the left pane was and in number 4, I was lost where you gave instructions to click on an icon...

So sorry, I use computers a lot for work, but never have I had to do anything so involved- most of the issues I've had in the past as been more or less easily fixed by a download or changing a setting.

As far as your suggestion regarding returning the new laptop, I may be mistaken, but Im hesitate to go to all the trouble of returning a computer and starting all over again when it seems that this may be a common problem amongst windows 7 users- particularly people who never had problems with their USB ports until they upgraded to 7.

If this an issue with my notebook and not windows, I'll return the notebook- but Id need to be VERY sure and reading windows 7 forums is making me want to hang on to the computer and maybe ditch the operating system instead of the other way about.

Also, the fact that I can locate my device in the 'Devices and Printers' section means that it's a problem with using/recognising the device (it doesn't appear in Computer for me to use) but that the actual physical USB port, device and the connection between them it fine.  Am I wrong? I probably am...I don't know ANYTHING about this stuff.

Well, thanks again..still hoping that a solution will present itself!
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:23 PM
  • You can also try the following suggestions to check the issue:

Assign the drive letter

========

1. Click Start, type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the Search box and press Enter to start Disk Management.

2. Please check if the drive appears here. If so, please assign a drive letter to this drive. To do so:

a. Right-click the drive, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths

b. Click Add.

c. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, and then either accept the default drive letter or click the drive letter that you want to use.

d. Click OK.

Please restart the computer and check the issue. What’s the result?

If the issue persists, please see if the issue occurs in all USB ports. If you are using a USB hub, please unplug it and use the USB port on the laptop directly.

Thursday, November 26, 2009 5:11 AM
  • Thanks, Linda.

When I do this, the drive appears (unnamed) but when I right click on it, the only option given is 'Help'.

Problem occurs in all USB ports, as I've said and I am not using a hub.

I appreciate the help- getting really frusterated- is there a hot fix r whatever you guys call it for this problem??

All the best.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:33 AM
  • Hi newto7,

Since the USB ports never worked in this new computer which is still under warranty, I recommend you contact the computer manufacturer/vendor directly and confirm whether the issue is related to the hardware.

Also, you can refer to Tips for solving problems with USB devices for more troubleshooting suggestions.

Friday, November 27, 2009 2:56 AM
  • I'm running windows 7 and when i deleted the upperfilter and lowerfilter values my computer to try to solve this problem, my computer displayed a message that windows had been corrupted, and eventually, after rebooting, decided that I was running a non-genuine version of windows 7.

I had to run a system restore from the startup menu because the computer would not allow me to use windows applications in the regular desktop.

I'm just putting this out there for anyone else who followed the advice above and ran into the same problems that i did.

Monday, October 17, 2011 4:04 AM
  • Thanks, for this. I had my USB controller stop working at random. Every one else said to just disable and restart and let windows pick them back up. That did not work for me but removing the Upperfilters and lowerfilters did work for me. Those keys were causing other problems as well. I could not  get our company antivirus installed, and we could not figure it out. after i fixed the USB issue the antivirous installed fine.  Many Thanks 
    Friday, January 13, 2012 2:36 PM
  • Hello there, All of a suddenly while transferring data from my samsung smart phone to my toshiba laptop, the USB port stopped working.

There r no option such as ‘Quick Removable’.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:59 PM
  • Hi "Linda Yan" that worked a treat thank you soooo much, last time I formated the harddrive and started again but your second option there worked great.  I have to admit was a bit cautious at first, thanks again :-)

• Edited by Wanelad Sunday, December 15, 2013 3:59 AM
    Sunday, December 15, 2013 2:55 AM
  • Hi "Linda Yan" that worked a treat thank you soooo much, last time I formated the harddrive and started again but your second option there worked great.  I have to admit was a bit cautious at first, thanks again :-)

Hi newto7 how did you fix your problem? cause I'am having exactly the same and nothing is working please help, you can also write me at gzou13@gmail.com

Thank you

Thursday, April 03, 2014 12:25 AM
  • This worked for me. Thanks Linda
    Friday, May 16, 2014 5:17 PM