none
Looking for script to change Win7 Product ID Key

Question

• For the past year or so we've been doing a slow roll out of windows 7 desktops.  The image we are using was built by a consulting company that we no longer do business with.  However now a number of these desktops are getting a "not genuine" notice and wanting an activation code.  It's not a big deal since we have one, and I've since made a new image with our key in it, but instead of having to lay hands on all these machines I was wondering if anyone had a script or anything I could put our MAK into and just run on the client machines that are having this issue.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 1:29 PM

Answers

• 1. If you want to remove the key, use parameters upk in slmgr script.

2. The trick that allows script execution is based on cscript

"cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"
    "cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -ato"

Regards

Milos

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Hi,

You can use the Milos’s steps to install product key (replaces existing key) and then activate Windows to test the issue. You can refer to slmgr.vbs command.

In addition, I would like to suggest that you initiate a new thread in our Scripting forum for better and accurate answer to the question. The community members and support professionals there are more familiar with Scripting and can help you resolve the issue. Thanks.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/scripting

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:04 AM

All replies

• 1. If you want to remove the key, use parameters upk in slmgr script.

2. The trick that allows script execution is based on cscript

"cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"
    "cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -ato"

Regards

Milos

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Hi,

You can use the Milos’s steps to install product key (replaces existing key) and then activate Windows to test the issue. You can refer to slmgr.vbs command.

In addition, I would like to suggest that you initiate a new thread in our Scripting forum for better and accurate answer to the question. The community members and support professionals there are more familiar with Scripting and can help you resolve the issue. Thanks.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/scripting

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:04 AM