none
One XP Mode for multiple W7 computers

Question

• I see lots of posts and replies regarding running one XP Mode for multiple users on an individual PC by copying certain files to certain places within a single computer and providing appropriate security. However, what I am asking is it OK to take those same files and move them to a network location then when a new PC is built, copy those files to the new PC and configure all users to use that XP Mode configuration. The XP Mode build would not be on the domain at the time but would be added soon, nor would it have any anti-virus installed. It would only have the programs causing the need to deal with XP Mode here. The only thing I can think would be a problem is Windows XP Mode would not appear in the Programs and Features uninstall list because it technically is not installed this way. Is there something I might be missing which would cause this to not work or run afoul of licensing?
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:33 PM

Answers

• I agree we likely are on our own regarding support from MS and we seem to be OK with that. We do use WSUS but for a few years we have been running a batch file and a registry hack shown below which is supposed to take care of the SID problem it seems. Somebody else found this fix and I am not sure where he got it. I think I saw something like it in the comments section of the link I mentioned in my last post.

Batch File:
    net stop wuauserv
    REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f

REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f

REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f

REG DELETE "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v LastWaitTimeout /f
    REG DELETE "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v DetectionStartTime /f
    Reg Delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v NextDetectionTime /f
    net start wuauserv
    wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow

REG hack:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "WUServer"="servername"
    "WUStatusServer"="servername"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
    "AUOptions"=dword:00000004
    "AutoInstallMinorUpdates"=dword:00000000
    "RescheduleWaitTime"=dword:0000000a
    "RescheduledWaitTimeEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001
    "NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
    "ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000000
    "ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:00000017
    "UseWUServer"=dword:00000001
    "DetectionFrequency"=dword:00000006
    "DetectionFrequencyEnabled"=dword:00000001

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:16 PM
  • I started working on this just after my initial post a couple of weeks ago by creating an XP Mode build on a fresh W7 build and added it to the domain. I then logged in as a generic user and installed certain programs we know have to be run on XP Mode. Once complete, I copied that profile to the Default Profile and tested logging in as another user. It tested as expected then I disjoined from the domain. After the reboot, I copied the .vhd to the network then down onto another fresh W7 PC. I tested on the new PC and was quite happy to find the whole process worked as I hoped. I then found your post, smjain, and was concerned I just did all that work for no reason, ultimately. What I found was the MAC address was not the same between the two VMs nor did they "inherit" the host's MAC address.

We have never used Sysprep before and this is basically the same process my company has been using for over 10 years with hundreds, maybe thousands, of computers (Win2K then XP and now W7). We get a new unit and build it to a certain point then disjoin from the domain. We also will try to use an existing image if the new unit is similar to an existing model we have. If it does not work, we will create a new image. We use Ghost to clone it and place the image on the network for use as many times as necessary. We rename it and rejoin to the domain and start building as necessary.

I cannot really think of any problem we have experienced with this process. As long as the unit is disjoined prior to ghosting, we seem to be OK. Please let me know where I could be wrong. I was curious if Ghost does something with the SID but it does not seem it does. I then found something from the great Mark Russinovich and his blog post (http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx) from 2009 stating the whole SID duplication issue is a non-issue in reality. It seems to me we might be OK with this process.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:07 PM

All replies

• See: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=21529

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:27 PM
  • For licensing, you would need to have the appropriate number of Windows 7 Pro or higher systems or regular Windows XP licenses.

Just copying one install of XP to multiple computers will cause problems down the road, especially when you try to join them all to the domain.  You would want to Sysprep the image before deployment and then create a new VM.  If you just copy the VHD, VMC, and VMCX files you'll end up with duplicate MAC addresses as well as identical Windows installs which will cause problems with joining the domain.

Basically, treat your XP VM the same way you'd roll out regular XP computers.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Thanks, Cbarnhorst, for the link. The document looks to be exactly what I need. :)

I will take a look in depth this morning.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:10 PM
  • You're welcome.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:15 PM
  • I started working on this just after my initial post a couple of weeks ago by creating an XP Mode build on a fresh W7 build and added it to the domain. I then logged in as a generic user and installed certain programs we know have to be run on XP Mode. Once complete, I copied that profile to the Default Profile and tested logging in as another user. It tested as expected then I disjoined from the domain. After the reboot, I copied the .vhd to the network then down onto another fresh W7 PC. I tested on the new PC and was quite happy to find the whole process worked as I hoped. I then found your post, smjain, and was concerned I just did all that work for no reason, ultimately. What I found was the MAC address was not the same between the two VMs nor did they "inherit" the host's MAC address.

We have never used Sysprep before and this is basically the same process my company has been using for over 10 years with hundreds, maybe thousands, of computers (Win2K then XP and now W7). We get a new unit and build it to a certain point then disjoin from the domain. We also will try to use an existing image if the new unit is similar to an existing model we have. If it does not work, we will create a new image. We use Ghost to clone it and place the image on the network for use as many times as necessary. We rename it and rejoin to the domain and start building as necessary.

I cannot really think of any problem we have experienced with this process. As long as the unit is disjoined prior to ghosting, we seem to be OK. Please let me know where I could be wrong. I was curious if Ghost does something with the SID but it does not seem it does. I then found something from the great Mark Russinovich and his blog post (http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/11/03/3291024.aspx) from 2009 stating the whole SID duplication issue is a non-issue in reality. It seems to me we might be OK with this process.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:07 PM
  • Ghost does, or at least did, have a GhostWalker utility when I used it that was similar to SysPrep.

The SID can be an issue with certain MS tools, I believe like WSUS and KMS, but its not as big of an issue as it could be. 

But, I think the bottom line would be if you're cloning systems and not sysprepping and run into an issue MS support may say you are on your own.  Thanks for all the info though on your environment.  It may be that since you're removing the computer from the domain before the clone that it makes the sysprep issue moot.

Anyway, glad to here you're working.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:45 PM
  • I agree we likely are on our own regarding support from MS and we seem to be OK with that. We do use WSUS but for a few years we have been running a batch file and a registry hack shown below which is supposed to take care of the SID problem it seems. Somebody else found this fix and I am not sure where he got it. I think I saw something like it in the comments section of the link I mentioned in my last post.

Batch File:
    net stop wuauserv
    REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f

REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f

REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f

REG DELETE "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v LastWaitTimeout /f
    REG DELETE "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v DetectionStartTime /f
    Reg Delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v NextDetectionTime /f
    net start wuauserv
    wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow

REG hack:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "WUServer"="servername"
    "WUStatusServer"="servername"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
    "AUOptions"=dword:00000004
    "AutoInstallMinorUpdates"=dword:00000000
    "RescheduleWaitTime"=dword:0000000a
    "RescheduledWaitTimeEnabled"=dword:00000001